Auria introduces Inter-app Audio support!

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Auria introduces Inter-app Audio support!

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Now that iOS7 has been released to the public, we can talk about what we've been working on for the next Auria update: Inter-app audio support.

This great new iOS feature allows apps to send audio between each other in real-time, without any other software needed. And we've integrated it deeply into Auria. If you have any inter-app compatible apps installed on your iPad, they'll show up along side your other Auria plugins in the channelstrip and AUX insert slots. To use one, simply choose it from the list. Instrument inter-apps are also supported the same way. For example, recording a new synth part has never been easier:

1. Choose the instrument inter-app from the list
2. Press record
3. Play your synth

Inter-app instruments and effects will also display a transport control for controlling Auria's playback and recording, as well as an icon for switching back into Auria when finished.

Over the coming months we hope to see developers adding support for inter-app audio to their existing apps, so you can enjoy this great new iOS7 feature!

Inter-app audio support in Auria will be available in version 1.130.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Differences between Inter-app and Native Auria plugins

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Inter-app plugins and native Auria plugins differ in some important ways:

- Inter-app allow you to use your favorite audio app inside Auria without any extra software (as long as it supports inter-app)
- Inter-app doesn't support presets, or a way to save your parameter changes in your project.
- Inter-app only allows a single instance of a particular plugin in your project at a time.
- Inter-app doesn't support automation
- An Inter-app plugin takes up the entire screen, making it necessary to switch back and forth between the plugin and Auria
- Inter-app introduces zero latency and is sample accurate, since it's completely integrated into the OS and is part of CoreAudio.

Some of inter-app's limitations might change with future updates to iOS. We'll keep you updated as it evolves.

Rim

pipo79
Expert

Re: Auria introduces Inter-app Audio support!

Post by pipo79 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:43 pm

Wowie Zowie ! I was wondering what it meant when I got an update for AlchemyMobile today and the description said something about "inter-app..." ! So Alchemy is one of those apps.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Wow 8) 8) 8)

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm

And BOOM goes the dynamite

eta for 1.3?

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:57 pm

YAY! I guess this will even make me swallow iOS 7's Barbie Doll design!!

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Thats good news Rim, only waiting on Auria official support for iOS7

ovidiupetrescu

Post by ovidiupetrescu » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:26 pm

I don't see the full name of the files I save or load. Can you fix this?

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm

With this what does this mean for AudioBus

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:54 pm

@djjuniorpops, probably a better question for the Audiobus forums. I'm sure those guys have something up their sleeves.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Auria will still support Audiobus, but as more apps include inter-app support, it becomes less important to use in that context. Of course, if they introduce some features which Inter-app doesn't have, it might be good as an alternative. We'll see what they come up with.

Rim

jbw
Expert

Post by jbw » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:54 pm

A few questions:

1. What about using midi controller apps like Chordion? Do they need to be integrated by the developer into Auria as well?

2. Is this Inter-app method easier on the iPad's resources compared to Audiobus?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:58 pm

I'm not sure I understand the first question, as Auria doesn't have a full midi implementation. Auria's midi support is limited to sync and remote control of faders/knobs, etc.

As to the second question, because inter-app doesn't require the use of another app to make it function (like Audiobus), it uses less resources. Although the Audiobus app itself doesn't have a big memory footprint.

Rim

jbw
Expert

Post by jbw » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:04 pm

Rim wrote:I'm not sure I understand the first question, as Auria doesn't have a full midi implementation. Auria's midi support is limited to sync and remote control of faders/knobs, etc.
Sorry I should have been more clear. Say for example I have a synth app that is inter-app compatible with Auria, but I want to control that synth app with a midi controller app. Would that be possible? I'm not looking to record midi data, just the audio from the synth (which happened to be controlled by a separate midi controller app).

My guess is it would work, because the connection between the midi controller app and the synth app would not really be related necessarily to Auria, but maybe there's something preventing that sort of set up.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, that would work fine, since the MIDI would be handled by the existing CoreMIDI system.

Rim