IPad 1, Iodock, Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mobileusa

IPad 1, Iodock, Auria?

Post by mobileusa » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:17 pm

New guy here. Is that a bad combination?

louparte
Expert

Re: IPad 1, Iodock, Auria?

Post by louparte » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:19 pm

It is a great combination. I used it before I bought an iPad 2.

mobileusa

Post by mobileusa » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 am

Thanks Lou,
Did you use LE or standard version?
louparte wrote:It is a great combination. I used it before I bought an iPad 2.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:26 pm

Whoa, hold on there.
First off, welcome to the forums mobileusa.

IMO using an iPad 1st gen will work, but you will be limited on anything that uses the cpu heavily. I have an iPad 2 and am constantly having to freeze tracks, i.e. the CPU meter shows too much use when adding only a few insert or bus effects. It's not crashing, but you will spend a lot of time optimizing your cpu usage. (freeziong/bouncing)

If you mix/record large projects you will be better off upgrading to an iPad2 if possible. If you really want to be a power user you should use an iPad4.

I'm not trying to scare you off, but want you to have realistic expectations. The trade off between processing on an iPad1 and the features in Auria are well worth it.

I'm already saving up for the next iPad whatever they're gonna call it.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

mobileusa

Post by mobileusa » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:00 pm

Can you use an exterior HD like the G Technology Mobile?

http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive-mobile

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:38 pm

It appears to be intended for Mac's and PC's. No mention of iOS device use on any support pages.

Sorry it took me so long to look that up for you.
:oops:

mobileusa

Post by mobileusa » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:50 pm

I demand fast responses!! :wink:

Here is what I found:

System Requirements
The G-CONNECT device has support for the following Operating Systems. The
device is ready for use with Apple Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows systems and comes formatted as FAT-32, which is ideal for cross-platform use.
Operating Systems
• Mac OS X 10.5.8 or higher (Intel processor-based Mac)
• Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7.0
• iPhone and iPad iOS operating systems 4.35+
Web Browser Support
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0+
• Mac Safari 5.0+
• Mozilla Firefox 4.0+
• Google Chrome 10.0 +

Minimum System Requirements
•Windows users:
Computer systems running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.0 and available USB 2.0 port

Mac users:
Computer systems running with Mac OS 10.5.8 or later and available USB 2.0 port. Intel processor-based Macs only
•iPhone and iPad:
iOS operating systems 4.35+

martygras wrote:It appears to be intended for Mac's and PC's. No mention of iOS device use on any support pages.

Sorry it took me so long to look that up for you.
:oops:

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:13 pm

Interesting. You may have to buy one and tell us what your findings are. I can't find anything definitive on KVR etc.

Heck, I'd be happy to be able to stick a thumbdrive in a hub for this to work for 2-way file transfer.

kwalker0210
Expert

Post by kwalker0210 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:42 am

Obstacles and limitations aside, if all you had was first generation iPad, IO Dock and Auria, would that stop you from composing and arranging? Would you allow your creative vision to fade away because it took a lot of extra time and effort to produce your music? As I understand it, you grow the most when you figure out how to get the most out of the tools you have at your disposal. Much of the mankind's creative energy has dissipated because we don't want to be inconvenienced or take the long way around. If you have the option to get something better, fine. But do not underestimate the value of the experience gained from figuring out how to do most, when you have the least.

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:12 am

kwalker0210 wrote:Obstacles and limitations aside, if all you had was first generation iPad, IO Dock and Auria, would that stop you from composing and arranging? Would you allow your creative vision to fade away because it took a lot of extra time and effort to produce your music? As I understand it, you grow the most when you figure out how to get the most out of the tools you have at your disposal. Much of the mankind's creative energy has dissipated because we don't want to be inconvenienced or take the long way around. If you have the option to get something better, fine. But do not underestimate the value of the experience gained from figuring out how to do most, when you have the least.
Nicely put.

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:03 pm

kwalker0210 wrote:Obstacles and limitations aside, if all you had was first generation iPad, IO Dock and Auria, would that stop you from composing and arranging? Would you allow your creative vision to fade away because it took a lot of extra time and effort to produce your music? As I understand it, you grow the most when you figure out how to get the most out of the tools you have at your disposal. Much of the mankind's creative energy has dissipated because we don't want to be inconvenienced or take the long way around. If you have the option to get something better, fine. But do not underestimate the value of the experience gained from figuring out how to do most, when you have the least.
Well said- I agree completely. You'll find that when you work smart, there are ways to squeeze a lot of horsepower out of the CPU cycles you already have. I have a friend who is just getting into pro tools and he calls me up right away to say he's getting CPU overload messages. I said, send me the session. Turns out he's got a bunch of dverbs on individual channels etc. turns out he had no clue how to use a daw, as far as aux sends etc.
For example I have 2 old desktops and a laptop working in conjunction with my ipad3. My options are amazing, and all it takes is a little bit of work and research.
If someone can't be bothered to experiment and overcome a few obstacles, the music is probably not worth listening to.
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:03 pm

mobileusa wrote:Thanks Lou,
Did you use LE or standard version?
louparte wrote:It is a great combination. I used it before I bought an iPad 2.
I use the standard version Auria w/iPad 2 / 64G & iOdocj.

IOdock is a brilliant gadget.