Midi sync with Cubasis

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Trentsongs
Expert

Midi sync with Cubasis

Post by Trentsongs » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:55 am

I can't seem to get Auria to sync with Cubasis. I'm familiar with midi and sync outside of iOS. I've read and think I understand the Auria manual and searched this forum, not matter how I set-up, Auria just doesn't respond when I press play in Cubasis. Can you provide some guidance?

Also, assuming I can get these apps to sync, will it be possible to record into Auria while midi syncing?

Do either of my questions require audiobus?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Midi sync with Cubasis

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:38 am

I too have had no success in locking Auria to Cubasis or many others. Cubasis locks up to almost all my syncable apps but for for some reason not Auria. Settimg up Auria to send and recieve is so easy that one can't go too wrong on the set-up so I don't think it's the user but a problem in Auria. It would be very helpful if a thread was started on all the syncable apps that actually do lock up to Auria. Cheers.

Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:22 pm

Unfortunately there is no way to sync Auria and Cubasis, at least currently. Cubasis only supports sending MIDI clock, which is too low resolution for audio apps to sync with, and can't follow any external sync. Auria can sync to MIDI Time Code (which is much higher resolution than beat clock), but Cubasis doesn't support MTC.

The problem is that MIDI Clock is unusable for syncing two audio apps together (like Auria and Cubasis), the resolution is much much too low. The two apps will either start vari-speeding wildly as one desperately chases the other, or use jam sync and simply drift too far apart. MIDI Clock was designed to sync MIDI-only devices.

Hopefully more apps start supporting MIDI Time Code, like Auria does, so that audio apps can sync to each other.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Matt W wrote:Unfortunately there is no way to sync Auria and Cubasis, at least currently. Cubasis only supports sending MIDI clock, which is too low resolution for audio apps to sync with, and can't follow any external sync. Auria can sync to MIDI Time Code (which is much higher resolution than beat clock), but Cubasis doesn't support MTC.

The problem is that MIDI Clock is unusable for syncing two audio apps together (like Auria and Cubasis), the resolution is much much too low. The two apps will either start vari-speeding wildly as one desperately chases the other, or use jam sync and simply drift too far apart. MIDI Clock was designed to sync MIDI-only devices.

Hopefully more apps start supporting MIDI Time Code, like Auria does, so that audio apps can sync to each other.
This is very good information for us users to know. Thank you for clearing that up. But it is the locking of a simple midi instrument app to Auria that I personally am having issues with. I personally don't need to lock 2 audio recording apps together. I only want to lock drum machines and synths. This allows me to program the drum/synth parts while listening to Auria's tracks. I like my midi for correcting small errors or shifting notes in time as Audiobus is final audio and all editing from there is in the audio domain. Cheers. ~~_/)~~~

Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Locking up a MIDI sequencer to Auria will work using MIDI Clock in most cases (we're finding all sorts of apps whose MIDI clock sync is not exactly reliable, or who incorrectly calculate SPP), as long as Auria is always the Master.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:28 pm

(we're finding all sorts of apps whose MIDI clock sync is not exactly reliable, or who incorrectly calculate SPP),
Would be very handy to know which apps you've found that with and handy to know which apps work the way you expect they should. I've only mistakenly managed to sync Auria with Loopy.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:25 am

syrupcore wrote:
(we're finding all sorts of apps whose MIDI clock sync is not exactly reliable, or who incorrectly calculate SPP),
Would be very handy to know which apps you've found that with and handy to know which apps work the way you expect they should. I've only mistakenly managed to sync Auria with Loopy.
Exactly. That is why I think a forum thread on what apps sync up to Auria should be implimented. Buying apps that won't sync with Auria is a bummer. Cheers. ~~_/)~~~