Hissing

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

windyweekend
Expert

Hissing

Post by windyweekend » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:27 am

Every wav file I import from my PC using iTunes synching results in a background hiss in Auria. It's low, but just enough to not make the final mixes worth the effort.

There's no hiss in the original wavs. When I use the same files in Audacity they sound fine. It just seems to be Auria having the issue. I've tried importing different sample rates and its the same issue with every type.

Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this?

Washboy
Expert

Re: Hissing

Post by Washboy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:03 am

Do the WAVs originate from one particular source (e.g. BM2)?

Do all WAVs hiss or only those that you brought in via iTunes?

Do you have any other iOS audio apps (e.g. AudioShare or Hokusai) that you can test play the WAVs with?

Does this issue apply to all your Auria projects or only one of them?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:10 am

Try importing the wav files into a completely new project. This way, you can eliminate any possibility of sometging enabled in the channelstrip or masterstrip.

Rim

windyweekend
Expert

Post by windyweekend » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:58 am

Thanks for trying to help folks. Wavs are produced using different iOS apps - BM2 and also Amplitube as well as Audacity on PC. Ive not tried them in other iOS mixers yet. They sound fine when imported into Audacity or go via Audiobus into Cubasis from BM2. Happens with any/every Auria project even if its a new one.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:10 am

We've never seen hissing issues in Auria. I would love to hear what you're hearing. Would you mind sending me an example project, where the hissing is present? Please zip the project, then send it via dropbox to: rim at drumagog dot com

Thanks,
Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 pm

windyweekend wrote:They sound fine when imported into Audacity or go via Audiobus into Cubasis from BM2.
Do you also get the hiss when you go from BM2 (or anything else) to Auria via Audiobus?

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Are you using an external soundcard that has SPDIF? Sounds like it could set to external sync where there is none.
That would create a hiss like you describe, and why you don't hear it in Audacity.
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

windyweekend
Expert

Post by windyweekend » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks for the suggestions folks. All good as usual. Got some time this weekend to experiment options. Will let you know where I land.

Will send you you some samples Rim if I don't manage to resolve it, but I'm feeling lucky!

windyweekend
Expert

Post by windyweekend » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Upgraded to the new Auria update, imported wavs straight from Beatmaker2 and the hissing has gone. Thanks everyone for the help. I'm back to writing music again...