Newbie Question - Cycle Recording

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

augie

Newbie Question - Cycle Recording

Post by augie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi all, I'm new to Auria and my previous experience was with Cubase on a PC. The one feature that worked extremely well for me in Cubase was cycle recording - Setting the locators to a certain position (say a 4 bar guitar solo), then recording as many passes as I wanted. At the beginning of each pass, Cubase would start a new "lane" containing one take. So, if I did 5 solos, I'd have 5 lanes which I could pick from to comp the best solo possible proivded that none of the passes was good enough on it's own. This was a great feature. Can I do it in Auria? Sorry if this is an incredibly naive question.

syrupcore
Expert

Re: Newbie Question - Cycle Recording

Post by syrupcore » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:53 pm

I think "not yet" is the official answer on this. But I'm not official.

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:26 am

augie wrote:Hi all, I'm new to Auria and my previous experience was with Cubase on a PC. The one feature that worked extremely well for me in Cubase was cycle recording - Setting the locators to a certain position (say a 4 bar guitar solo), then recording as many passes as I wanted. At the beginning of each pass, Cubase would start a new "lane" containing one take. So, if I did 5 solos, I'd have 5 lanes which I could pick from to comp the best solo possible proivded that none of the passes was good enough on it's own. This was a great feature. Can I do it in Auria? Sorry if this is an incredibly naive question.
I've asked that few month ago, the Rim's answer was that feature is really in his to-do list :)
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com

augie

Post by augie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:54 am

Thanks for the quick responses, I really appreciate it. I see so much potential in Auria, am just trying to figure out how much functionality is similar to the PC DAW's I have used. Don't expect everything to be there, but it's power as-is amazes me. Prepare for more blockhead questions :)

alexis

Post by alexis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Hi - I joined the forum just to ask this very same question! Looked hard at Cubasis (I am a Cubase user on PC), got an answer from the steinberg guys that cycle recording with lanes added during each pass is not available, it's on their wish list).

Just to follow up on the OP here - is this officially not a feature in Auria yet either? Is there an anticipated date of release? I believe once it's available I'm there ... I want it mainly to remote record audio to bring back to Cubase.

Also: I might be blind by my limited Cubase experience ... besides the cycle recording described, is there another/or a better way to do multiple takes in Auria?

Thanks so much!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:37 pm

It's not here yet either ;) It's on my list though. It's hard to give a time frame, as there are so many variables involved. Each time you make a recording pass, Auria saves the last take as a region. It just creates a new region on top of the old one.

Rim

alexis

Post by alexis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:24 pm

Rim wrote:It's not here yet either ;) It's on my list though. It's hard to give a time frame, as there are so many variables involved. Each time you make a recording pass, Auria saves the last take as a region. It just creates a new region on top of the old one.

Rim
Hi, Rim, thank you!

Does it erase the previous region? Or are they somehow available to collect and put together in a separate DAW?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:29 pm

alexis wrote:
Rim wrote:It's not here yet either ;) It's on my list though. It's hard to give a time frame, as there are so many variables involved. Each time you make a recording pass, Auria saves the last take as a region. It just creates a new region on top of the old one.

Rim
Hi, Rim, thank you!

Does it erase the previous region? Or are they somehow available to collect and put together in a separate DAW?
No it doesn't erase the previous region, it just puts the new region on top of the previous. You have to manually move the region(s) aside to reveal the underlying one(s). You could move a new region, once recorded, to a spare/new track.

alexis

Post by alexis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:21 pm

Washboy wrote:
alexis wrote:

Rim
Hi, Rim, thank you!

No it doesn't erase the previous region, it just puts the new region on top of the previous. You have to manually move the region(s) aside to reveal the underlying one(s). You could move a new region, once recorded, to a spare/new track.

OK, that is definitely doable. I'm guessing there is a way to keep the start time of each region the same/"fixed" while dragging it to a new track. I can work with that - thanks, Washboy!

Off to other parts of the forum to see how I would export to Cubase on my DAW (PC :oops: :lol: )

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:06 am

Yes, the start time of the regions get locked when you drag them up or down to a new track.

Rim

alexis

Post by alexis » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:46 am

Rim wrote:Yes, the start time of the regions get locked when you drag them up or down to a new track.

Rim
Great, thanks Rim!

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:34 pm

Rim wrote:Yes, the start time of the regions get locked when you drag them up or down to a new track.

Rim
...Is the kind of feature lots of music app creators miss or deprioritize. There are a bunch of 'little' things like this in Auria and I really appreciate them. I only put little in would-be-air-quotes because it's the kind of thing that takes time and thoughtfulness but isn't the kind of thing you put into a promotional feature list (even though, day to day, they really are). Cheers Rim.