What exactly does the side-chain feature in Saturn do?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Geronimo
Expert

What exactly does the side-chain feature in Saturn do?

Post by Geronimo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Right know i'm only noticing a very slight bump in the amp level when i side-chain it to rather loud track.

Is that all that it does, or am i overlooking something right now?

Regards!

Jus
Expert

Re: What exactly does the side-chain feature in Saturn do?

Post by Jus » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Please excuse me if I'm wrong people but doesn't side chaining prioritise one track over another

I had a vocal track and I side chained the rhythm rock guitar sound so when the singer was singing he always stood out over the rhythm guitar when he wasn't singing you could hear the guitar more sort of thing

:roll: 8)

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:58 pm

Jus wrote:Please excuse me if I'm wrong people but doesn't side chaining prioritise one track over another

I had a vocal track and I side chained the rhythm rock guitar sound so when the singer was singing he always stood out over the rhythm guitar when he wasn't singing you could hear the guitar more sort of thing

:roll: 8)
When applied to a compressor, yes, that is what it does normally. It reduces the volume of a chosen track via the signals of another. So that the frequencies aren't clashing and you get enough room for a sound to stand out enough. You're controlling basically the compressor with the signal of another track.

Here's a good video on the topic:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prd-LtH9_DE

But Saturn is no compressor, so the sidechaining has to have a little different effect.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Ah right 8) this Auria thing is a constant but enjoyable learning curve :mrgreen:

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:33 pm

Jus wrote:Ah right 8) this Auria thing is a constant but enjoyable learning curve :mrgreen:
You're welcome. The most pleasing thing about Auria is, for me at least, that you can actually
achieve pro results. It makes the iPad a real professional tool, and it's just up to you how much
you get out of it.

If you're interested in mixing in general, then i recommend the excellent book "Mixing Secrets
for the small studio" by Mike Senior. It covers nearly everything that you need to know to get you
started properly and opens a whole new world beyond that. It's really one of those books that are able
to take you significantly further. Can't recommend it enough. It will help to get the most out of Auria as well ;)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:17 am

Side chain is simple to understand. All it does is allow that particular plugin to receive a signal from a different track than the one it's inserted on. What the plugin does with that signal is different for different plugins. For example,a gate might use the side chain signal to trigger when it opens and closes. In this case, the side chain just tells the gate when to open and close - the actual audio it's gating is still from that track the gate is inserted on.

Rim

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:00 pm

Geronimo wrote:
Jus wrote:Ah right 8) this Auria thing is a constant but enjoyable learning curve :mrgreen:
You're welcome. The most pleasing thing about Auria is, for me at least, that you can actually
achieve pro results. It makes the iPad a real professional tool, and it's just up to you how much
you get out of it.

If you're interested in mixing in general, then i recommend the excellent book "Mixing Secrets
for the small studio" by Mike Senior. It covers nearly everything that you need to know to get you
started properly and opens a whole new world beyond that. It's really one of those books that are able
to take you significantly further. Can't recommend it enough. It will help to get the most out of Auria as well ;)

Yep thanks for the heads up
Just ordered the PDF cd version to read been meaning to buy something like this for a while :D