Newbie Import question

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

windyweekend
Expert

Newbie Import question

Post by windyweekend » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:21 am

I'm new to Auria so may be suffering from user malfunction issues but want to check.

I've just installed it, started a new project with 32 tracks, imported a wav audio file onto Track 1 and...nothing. Silence.
Have I just made an expensive blunder and the import doesn't work, or more likely, am I missing something?

Do I need to switch on something to get the sound to come out from certain tracks?

In the wav file view I'm not seeing any audio in there. Should there be something in there if my import had successfully completed. I've tried importing via iTunes and Dropbox and am having the same issue either way. There's nothing in the Manual to explain why after an import no audio is showing up.

Can anyone help point me to what I'm doing wrong here.

Thanks audio jedis!

Washboy
Expert

Re: Newbie Import question

Post by Washboy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:29 pm

If you're new to Auria, it might be useful for you to practise importing WAVs into a simple 2-track project. Also, check page 78 of the User Guide for good instructions for using 'Menu -> Import Audio'.

It's curious that you see no evidence of the imported audio in the Edit window. Where are you importing from (Local or Dropbox)? Is there absolutely no sign of the imported audio, say at Start of Song, Track #1?

It may be that there's something odd about the WAV you're trying to import. Have you tried importing WAVs from another source (by way of an elimination test)?

Just a few thoughts :)

windyweekend
Expert

Post by windyweekend » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi washboy. Thanks for responding and offering some ideas.

I've tried importing from Dropbox and local iTunes files. It says its importing, then converts the bitrate, but once it's finished nothing's shows up except the title of the wav file in the track label. No audio anywhere.

Has anyone ever successfully imported wav files into auria? Would love to hear how you did it. The manual instructions must be missing a step or there's something wrong with the software. The wav files play and load fine in Beatmaker2 and Audacity.

windyweekend
Expert

Post by windyweekend » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Update - I managed to import one wav file successfully after i uninstalled and reinstalled, then every wav file before and afterwards has no audio. Metadata is there, file size etc but no sound.

Anyone managed to get a refund on this app? Can't believe I just spent $50 on something that can't even import audio and mix it (which is why I bought it).

Is Audacity really that much better than Auria or am I missing something here???

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:18 pm

I haven't heard of Auria having any issues importing WAV files. Where did the WAV files originate from? It's possible they are non-standard in some way. If you send me one of the files, I can have a look to see why it's not importing properly.

Rim

windyweekend
Expert

Post by windyweekend » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:30 pm

The files were originally created as separate tracks in Beatmaker2. About 10% of my files are being imported successfully. The rest are not. Some are missing metadata, some audio, some have incorrect file lengths.
What is consistent on these files is the following:

1. The name and and sample rate are imported correctly (44100).
2. The bitrate is imported correctly (16 bits).
3. There is no audio.
4. No wave is displayed in the Edit screen.
5. The length of the file is incorrect.
6. ***I THINK THIS IS KEY*** They are all tracks where the audio starts AFTER the beginning of the track (i.e. are silent for the first 15 seconds or minute before that instrument comes in). I'm only seeing this issue on these wav files.

They load fine in other mixers/editors. Auria is the only one I'm having issues with, and is also the most expensive hence my heartache.

Where would you like me to attach/send the files to (they are all the same size 48MB - too big for attaching via email?)?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:01 am

Did @Rim ever investigate Dave Magoo's issue, potentially related to windyweekend's?

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 485#p25485

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:12 am

Please send me a wav file you're having trouble importing. The easiest way to send it to me is by using Dropbox. My username is rim at drumagog dot com.

Thanks,
Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:55 am

Rim wrote:Please send me a wav file you're having trouble importing. The easiest way to send it to me is by using Dropbox. My username is rim at drumagog dot com.

Thanks,
Rim
Dropbox link to example files just emailed to you. BTW, WAVs are named Track#3 and Track#4 (not 2 & 3 as I referred to them in the email).

@windyweekend: apologies for apparently high-jacking your thread. I was keen for you to get a quick resolution to your problem. As a temporary work-around, if you own a copy of AudioShare, you might try importing the problematic WAVs into AS from Dropbox, then use Tools -> Convert on them (but leave them as 16bit, 44.1kHz, Stereo, WAVs) and re-save the converted versions. These converted versions WILL import OK into Auria. If you don't have AudioShare, it's worth buying to have in your iOS audio toolbox.

windyweekend
Expert

Post by windyweekend » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:39 pm

No problem Washboy - thanks to both you and Rim for trying to help out here!

I'll upload some files shortly, but I think I've diagnosed part of the problem, which certainly sounds in line with Washboy's solution - all the wavs I'm having issues with were exported from Beatmaker 2 as individual tracks. When the audio starts at the beginning of the track the wav loads okay. When it starts part way through the track (e.g. drums come in after a synth intro) then the wavs wont load and have exactly the same issues (no audio, incorrect length etc).

When I take these problematic wavs and import them into Audacity (will also consider Audioshare now) and then export them again they then load up into Auria okay. Bit of a pain, but its a workaround that consistently works now. I've got a whole album of 30track songs I'm planning on remixing in Auria which is why I bought it and the mechanics of the workload ahead is now a little daunting, but at least its achievable.

Right now, I think the issue is in the grey area between a Beatmaker file formatting issue on the export and an Auria importing issue. Its hard for me at least to say which is the problem.

@Rim - I'll send you one of the dodgey files that Ive had problems with. If you find something that explains the issue, it might help me either on the Auria end or the BM2 end of things to reduce the steps involved. If not, I'm not concerned as I have a workaround, though a little painful, but still it works every time - which means I can use Auria at last (breath, sigh, blood pressure reduction...)!

Thanks again both of you!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:12 am

Thanks, I've got the files from Washboy now, and will be investigating. I'll post back here once I've had a chance to see what's going on when Auria tries to import these.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:27 am

Just wanted to let you know that I've found the issue here and added a fix for the next Auria update. The problem is that Beatmaker doesn't follow the WAV file spec properly. When it generates a WAV file, it creates an extra byte in the 'inst' chunk, and this can confuse other DAWs when reading files generated by Beatmaker. I added a workaround to ignore this extra byte.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:11 pm

Well done, Rim! Thanks for your efforts.

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:25 am

Great to hear a fix is coming- quick observation though-
I use BM2 almost exclusively and have never once had a problem with opening up exported wav's in protools (LE8 btw)..

As the sad owner of a mere 16gb iPad, constant shuffling around of wav's and apps is a day to day operation. Hopefully after this fix I can leave Auria installed forever! Thanks
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:37 am

Regardless, they're not following the spec, and this may cause some import functions to have a problem with their files. I'm sure Pro Tools has a very robust import function which ignores bad implementations. Auria's getting there ;)

Rim