Looking for help with new MCU features and BCF2000

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

SuperNiCd

Looking for help with new MCU features and BCF2000

Post by SuperNiCd » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:36 pm

So I've been trying to get the Mackie control features working with a Behringer BCF2000.

I have tried it with the BCF in all the MCU emulation modes (logic, sonar, cubase) and also baby hui mode with the auria mode set accordingly. I have tried switching the device id to a few different ones in auria. I have also tried it with a couple of different interfaces:

Using the Alesis ioDock, I'm able to select send/receive remote buttons for the dock. I have regular 5 pin cables connecting the In on the dock to the out on the BCF, and vice versa. But it does not seem to communicate with it at all, in any mode.

Thinking that maybe MCU requires sysex which the ioDock doesn't support....

I also tried using an maudio venom as the interface, similar set up to above with the venom connected to the ipad using a CCK, and the BCF connected to the venom with MIDI cables. Also no communication in any mode. The interesting thing here is that the send/receive remote buttons will not light up for either of the venom midi interfaces (there are two, one called venom synth, one called venom MIDI).

I'm pretty sure all my hardware works fine.

Any suggestions? Will it work with this hardware?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Looking for help with new MCU features and BCF2000

Post by Rim » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:25 pm

We don't have a BCF2000 here for testing, but if it supports Mackie, it should work in theory. I think there's a bug in the midi settings page, because there should never be a case where the Remote buttons can't be selected. I'll look into this. In the mean time, have you tried enabling/disabling the other buttons to see if you can "free up" the remote buttons? Also, try a new project to see if that allows you to select the remote buttons.

Thanks,
Rim

SuperNiCd

Post by SuperNiCd » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks Rim. Yes, I tried a new project which didn't help. Also, interestingly, when I click send remote, it clears all the other buttons even though it doesn't light up itself.

As another data point, I didn't realize the BCF2000's USB was class compliant, so I hooked it up directly with a CCK, and boom, everything started working - bidirectional communication as expected. Unfortunately I'm not sure how useful it is to have the BCF occupying the 30 pin connector all by itself.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:19 am

Would you mind posting a picture of your Auria MIDI settings tab?

Thanks,
Rim

SuperNiCd

Post by SuperNiCd » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:03 am

Sure, Rim, here you go.

P.S. congrats on this awesome feature! What I saw when hooking up the BCF directly through the CCK was awesome!
Attachments
image.jpg
After pressing send and receive remote buttons
image.jpg
Initial state

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:15 am

Thanks, I've found the issue, and will be fixing it for 1.12. The problem happens if the MIDI port name is not exactly the same for input and output (in your case, you have Venom MIDI In and Venom MIDI Out). Remote won't work if they're different - it expects both to be named Venom MIDI, for example. This explains why some interfaces (like mine) work fine.

Rim

SuperNiCd

Post by SuperNiCd » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 am

Super! Thanks for investigating. I'll be eagerly awaiting 1.12.

Just curious - would you expect this to work with my Alesis ioDock? Or will the lack of SysEx support rule it out?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:46 am

I've tested Midi Remote with the IO Dock, and it works fine here (both ports have the same name).

Rim

SuperNiCd

Post by SuperNiCd » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:29 am

OK. So I've had a little more success with the IO Dock as the interface, in that I've been able to attain unidirectional communication.

By pressing and holding button 3 on power up, you go into Logic MCU emulation. Continuing to hold it down takes you into Global edit mode, and there you can select from 8 different modes. USB 1-4 and Standalone 1-4. In any of the Standalone modes, fader/pan movements in Auria are sent to the BCF. You can see the MIDI IN LED on the BCF lighting up as it receives these messages and the faders move.

However, changes to faders on the BCF do not get sent back to Auria. There are two MIDI out ports on the BCF (A out, and B out/thru), and there's a corresponding LED for each. Depending which standalone mode you're in, you'll see LED A, B, or both light up to indicate that MIDI is being sent when you move a fader on the device. But Auria doesn't respond in any mode.

Any idea what I might try next?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:40 pm

We just tested remote control of Auria with an iO Dock again, and did not get good results this time. Some functions work, but it freezes on certain functions. This is in line with what Alesis says about the MIDI implementation of the Dock (that it's not compatible with many MIDI messages like System Exclusive). So I don't recommend using the iO Dock for MIDI.

Rim

SuperNiCd

Post by SuperNiCd » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Thanks for the great support, and for the continued development of Auria. Any interest in buying a gently used io dock? :D