No MTC Output with iO Dock

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Lunatx

No MTC Output with iO Dock

Post by Lunatx » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Hallo,
No MTC Output with Alesis iO Dock (Firmware 1.0.7), ipad3 with 6.1.3 and auria 1.10. The MTC-Input-Sync is Running. Any ideas?

Is it possible to activate a footswitch at the iO Dock for Start-Stop-Function in auria?

Thx, lunatX

Rim
Site Admin

Re: No MTC Output with iO Dock

Post by Rim » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:04 am

Which app or DAW are you trying to send MTC into? We've tested this here and it works fine. I assume you've enabled MTC Send in the midi options?

Rim

Lunatx

Post by Lunatx » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:53 pm

I will send the MTC to a DMX Controller grandMA 2 light (http://www.malighting.com). I have tested it also with a Rosendahl mif3 - no sync. Yesterday I have checkend this with an other Dock - no sync.
In the auria midi-settings I have enabled MTC send and receiving for The "Dock" and the "Network Session 1".

LX

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:37 am

These are lighting controllers. Are you sure they accept MTC, and not MSC? MSC (MIDI Show Control) is a different protocol which Auria doesn't support.

Rim

Lunatx

Post by Lunatx » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:10 pm

... Im absolutly shure - grangMA understand MTC (and LTC). I have used the sync with Logic Pro (MTC) and MA many times before.

LX

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:17 pm

OK. I'm not sure how to test this setup, since we don't have those products here. But we've tested MTC from Auria to Logic Pro (and other DAWS) and it works fine here. Perhaps a good test would be for you to make sure you can get Logic to chase to Auria first, to rule out an issue with your IO Dock MIDI.

Rim

Lunatx

Post by Lunatx » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:48 pm

I have tested:
Test1: with Auria - io dock -> Midi output -> EMU Xmidi 1x1 -> USB Input Macbook Pro -> Logic Pro Software - no ext sync.

Test2: with Auria - io dock -> Midi output -> Rosendahl mif3 / Midi input - no MTC in.

LX

Lunatx

Post by Lunatx » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:42 pm

Test3: Macbook Pro with Logic Pro / send MTC -> Emu Midi-USB-Interface -> io Dock Midi Input -> iPad3 with Auria - sync okay.

LX

Chris M
Expert

Post by Chris M » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:51 pm

Hello,

We've tested Auria sending MTC through two interfaces and were able to get ext. sync working in Logic (Similar to your "Test 1").

We used:

Auria Send MTC > Griffin StudioConnect Midi Out > PresSonus AudioBox MIDI In > Logic

In Logic's Synchronization Project Settings, under 'General', select 'MTC' under 'Sync Mode'. We also had to set the SMPTE Offset to 0, as it defaults to Bar 50.

If you can't get your set-up to sync using these settings, it may be an issue with the Alesis Dock, which we unfortunately are not able to test at the moment. Let us know if you can get Test 1 working this way.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

Lunatx

Post by Lunatx » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Hello,
I have only a io Dock and can't test with other hardware. I required urgently a solution for the io Dock.
When you can test with the Alesis hardware and Auria?

LX

Chris M
Expert

Post by Chris M » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:06 pm

We now have an Alesis IO Dock that we were able to test, and it looks as if it does not have MTC capabilities. We also found this official response from Alesis regarding the Dock's MIDI Sync Capabilities:

http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topi ... pabilities

As you can see from the response, the Dock does not support MTC or MMC. It looks like it does support Start/Stop messages, which is why under some circumstances we were both able to get it to start playing simultaneously with Logic, but this does not actually constitute a true sync.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs