How to restore damaged/corrupted projects

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

deltayankee6
Expert

How to restore damaged/corrupted projects

Post by deltayankee6 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:49 am

Hi all,

I recently had an issue where audiopaste altered an existing project, and I thought I'd lost all my data.
Here are the steps I went through to get back to an earlier 'save' of my project and restore my files.

For this method to work you must still have the original wav and backup files for the problem project.
As long as you've not deleted the project, or it's been some catastrophic failure, then you should be fine.

1. Connect to iTunes on your PC/mac

2. Go to the bottom half of the apps screen and select Auria. You should now see the folders and projects you've created. You can't drill down into folders from iTunes, but that doesn't matter at this stage.

3. Select the problem project, or the folder that contains this project and use the 'save as' button to copy it to your PC/mac. (A folder on the desktop works for me). Once the copy is complete go and have a look and you'll see that all files and folder structure is accessible.

4. Find the problem project and in that folder there is a folder called backup. This contains automatically generated copies of your project. It should be at most 3 backups, but I've found that if you rename the project it creates a new set of backup files. This could be a handy.

5. Pick the backup file that you think is likely to be the good one (the date/time stamp may help). Copy this file into the root folder for this project.

6. Rename your current project file 'your_file_name.prj.bak'

7. Rename the backup file you moved to match the above file minus the .bak extension

8. Go up one folder level so that you're looking at the project folder, rename the folder (I added '-restore' to the folder name), and create a compressed (zipped, etc.) version. Note: I renamed the folder so as to not affect the project already on the iPad.

9. Go back to iTunes, click the 'add' button and select the compressed folder.

10. If you look at your ipad you should see that it is working on the compressed files.

11. If you try and load a project in Auria you should now see your 'restore' project. Has that fixed your problem? If not, then go back to step 5, pick a different backup file, and try again.

This worked for me.
The above method may also work with files in the snapshot folder, but I've not tried that.
If you've tried the snapshots please post a comment whether it worked or not.

Thanks,
Rich

Rim
Site Admin

Re: How to restore damaged/corrupted projects

Post by Rim » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:36 am

In the latest Auria version (1.10), if a project gets corrupted for some reason, you get a pop-up asking if you want to load a snapshot from that project instead. Hopefully this will help.

Rim

deltayankee6
Expert

Post by deltayankee6 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:38 am

I updated to v1.10 before this problem and I didn't get that message. Weird.
Maybe it depends on the type of fault, or maybe it only works if the project was created using v1.10.
Hmmm.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:54 am

When Auria can no longer load a project, it should come up with a message the next time it starts up, saying the project failed to load last time. It's at this point that it asks if you want to try again, or load from a snapshot. previously, it only asked if you wanted to try again, or create a new project.

In any case, your method works fine for cases where you don't get that message.

Rim

deltayankee6
Expert

Post by deltayankee6 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:33 am

Just twigged who you are Rim - doh :)

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:43 pm

deltayankee6 wrote:Hi all,

I recently had an issue where audiopaste altered an existing project, and I thought I'd lost all my data.
Here are the steps I went through to get back to an earlier 'save' of my project and restore my files.

For this method to work you must still have the original wav and backup files for the problem project.
As long as you've not deleted the project, or it's been some catastrophic failure, then you should be fine.

1. Connect to iTunes on your PC/mac

2. Go to the bottom half of the apps screen and select Auria. You should now see the folders and projects you've created. You can't drill down into folders from iTunes, but that doesn't matter at this stage.

3. Select the problem project, or the folder that contains this project and use the 'save as' button to copy it to your PC/mac. (A folder on the desktop works for me). Once the copy is complete go and have a look and you'll see that all files and folder structure is accessible.

4. Find the problem project and in that folder there is a folder called backup. This contains automatically generated copies of your project. It should be at most 3 backups, but I've found that if you rename the project it creates a new set of backup files. This could be a handy.

5. Pick the backup file that you think is likely to be the good one (the date/time stamp may help). Copy this file into the root folder for this project.

6. Rename your current project file 'your_file_name.prj.bak'

7. Rename the backup file you moved to match the above file minus the .bak extension

8. Go up one folder level so that you're looking at the project folder, rename the folder (I added '-restore' to the folder name), and create a compressed (zipped, etc.) version. Note: I renamed the folder so as to not affect the project already on the iPad.

9. Go back to iTunes, click the 'add' button and select the compressed folder.

10. If you look at your ipad you should see that it is working on the compressed files.

11. If you try and load a project in Auria you should now see your 'restore' project. Has that fixed your problem? If not, then go back to step 5, pick a different backup file, and try again.

This worked for me.
The above method may also work with files in the snapshot folder, but I've not tried that.
If you've tried the snapshots please post a comment whether it worked or not.

Thanks,
Rich
BUMP

THIS.HAS.SAVED.MY.ASS....BIGTIME!
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."