Stems into Studio One

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

BlackBox
Expert

Stems into Studio One

Post by BlackBox » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:03 pm

I am having a problem with tracks being out of sync bringing stems from Auria into Studio One. I don't have the problem going from S1 to Auria. Why is this?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Stems into Studio One

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:36 pm

Can you describe what you mean by out of sync? Are all the tracks out of sync?

Rim

BlackBox
Expert

Post by BlackBox » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:01 pm

All the ones from auria are off from the ones in studio one. The situation goes I did some mixing in auria and exported the drum stems from auria an brought them into studio one and the drums are off from the other tracks in studio one. All the drums from auria are together but they aren't lining up with the tracks in S1

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:04 pm

OK. How are you exporting the original tracks from S1? If the original tracks in S1 don't start at the very beginning (if there's any space beforehand), there will be timing issues later when you export them out of Auria.

Rim

BlackBox
Expert

Post by BlackBox » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Ok. The exact way I have done it is recorded drums in S1 and exported the tracks (not channels)as stems to Auria. All other tracking was done on neither and was on a Br-1200. They line up fine once in Auria. I have even just mixed down stereo drums and brought them in and they line up perfect. I don't do any trimming out of studio one besides set the start and end markers. It's only when I export stems from Auria did the drums not match up. I even tried just moving them a fraction and couldn't get them. It will match for a measure but then fall off.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:01 am

If you can get the track you imported to match perfectly at first, then they get out of time as the song progresses, you've got some sort of basic sync problem. Can you describe every step you're doing (starting from exporting from S1)? I'm sure we can figure this out if you provide very fine detail of your whole process.

Thanks,
Rim

BlackBox
Expert

Post by BlackBox » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:13 pm

I export the drums from S1 into iTunes. I also bring in my other tracks that were recorded on. Boss BR-1200 into iTunes. Import them into Auria. Mix them with various (Awesome) plugins. Bus all the tracks to individual busses within Auria and solo just the drum bus and export the stems. Then I save the stems from Auria via iTunes to a folder and import them back into S1. Is it maybe becasue I am soloing them from the bus? I once had a similar problem using just S1 with a friend who has it as well and we were sending a song back and forth and it was similar. I didn't use Auria when that happened but he says he originally exported his stems on the channels in S1. I got them and did my tracks and then sent him just what I did and they had the same result on his end. Like I said before I Mixdown the drums into a stereo bounce in Auria and bring that into S1 and it lines up fine

BlackBox
Expert

Post by BlackBox » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:16 pm

And I don't export the drums from channels when I first go from S1 either. It's through tracks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:32 pm

OK, so it looks like there are three pieces of Audio here: The original S1 tracks, your Boss recorded tracks, and the ones you recorded inside Auria. The Boss tracks might be causing the problem. Can you try this without using the Boss tracks?

Also, when you're tracking in Auria, what are you listening to? Are you listening to the S1 drum tracks, or to a metronome?

Rim

BlackBox
Expert

Post by BlackBox » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:03 pm

Yeah I could but sometimes I don't run those boss tracks into Auria at all and just do the drums in Auria and want to bring them back to S1 for further processing. I don't use a metronome in any of the the 3. In the past I have had problems with systems and metronomes so what I do is use an external metronome and record it on whateve system I am starting my drums and scratch reference track so no matter what I an independent metronome to import into whatever system I am working with. It's never failed me until I try to bring stems from Auria. Regular mixdowns have always come back in sync in all the systems.

Here's the order of recording and processing
1.Boss- Record Guitars, Bass Vocals, Keys, Metronome
Exported into S1 for reference
2.S1- record drums played to Boss imported tracks.
Export drums stems from S1 for Auria
3. Auria- import all tracks into Auria and process drums. Export drum stems from Auria to go back to S1....begin out of sync drums to Boss/S1 tracks

The boss tracks aren't coming from S1 at all into Auria. They are the original tracks from the Boss but they line up fine once all tracks from S1 and the Boss are in Auria. It's a little confusing I know lol. This album was tracked originally on a Boss a while ago and wanted to use real drums on it more recently. Seeing as how S1 doesn't do projects it's forced me to go with the stems into Auria and vise versa. Plus I like Auria's plugins and want to add more onto them in S1 after Auria. There's a few simple ways to figure this since I am probaly going to end up probaly finishing the project in Auria anyway but I still want to go back and forth no matter what and its driving me crazy trying to figure out why they aren't lining up coming back from Auria. I haven't done any trimming on any of the files so they should all be the same length as when they came out of their original system.........whew!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:18 am

OK, I have a question: when exactly do you notice the out of sync issue? Do you hear this while playing the imported tracks in Auria, or do you only hear it in S1, once you import the tracks from Auria to s1?

One thing to test would be this:

- After you're done processing your drums in Auria (and everything sounds in sync), export to stems, then create a new project in Auria and import those same stems into that project. See if it's out of sync in that new project.

Rim

BlackBox
Expert

Post by BlackBox » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 am

Only when I export the stems from auria into studio one. Yeah I'll try importing them on a new song in auria and see if it happens.