Best drum app for use with Drumagog

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

69strat
Expert

Best drum app for use with Drumagog

Post by 69strat » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:04 am

I'm trying to achieve natural, acoustic-sounding drum tracks. I'm looking for one that allows export of individual tracks so that I can compress/eq each as well as replace with Drumagog. I have the DM1 and have used it's individual track export but I just can't seem to bond with the thing. I picked up StudioDrummer yesterday and absolutely love it, so intuitive, and it sounds decent, unfortunately no individual track export, at least that I can tell.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks in advance,
Pete

juanconcho
Expert

Re: Best drum app for use with Drumagog

Post by juanconcho » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Stay with Dm1, it's so easy. I've drumagogged a bunch of tracks from dm1 and it all works so smoothly. Beatmaker 2 has individual track export but it's not easy to put the different drum parts on different tracks. I've had the exports be buggy, too, but never with dm1.

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:39 am

juanconcho wrote:Stay with Dm1, it's so easy. I've drumagogged a bunch of tracks from dm1 and it all works so smoothly. Beatmaker 2 has individual track export but it's not easy to put the different drum parts on different tracks. I've had the exports be buggy, too, but never with dm1.
I like the DM1 but find the interface clumsy for what I'm trying to do. I'm not a fan of sequencing drums so I tap in the beat and clean it up if necessary with the sequencer. I just can't get used to the pads on the DM1, DrumStudio has spoiled me. Also found that I can get a more natural feel with it.
Anyways, thanks for the tips,
Pete

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:11 am

Moved this from the wishlist thread. Not necessarily related to op completely but drum related.

I'm also looking for a drum solution. I think the karma of all the drummer jokes I've ever made has come to haunt me. It's the one part of my recording that's lacking, the weak link. I've bought quite a few drum apps. Currently playing them into Drums XD via midi to Cubasis to edit , after bringing a mix from Auria into Cubasis, then out again. Have a love/hate relationship with Cubasis. Can't wait for Auria to have midi. Want to try Drumagog but it's seems to require a different approach.

@Zenlizard

I'm with you on the drums thing.. Just got Drumstudio. 69Strat posted about it earlier but called it Studio Drummer in his first post and couldn't find it.

I agree this app is a big step on the way. The drags and flams and stuff can produce realistic drumming. Imagine this as a plug in for Auria with a variety of well sampled dum kits. Maybe a customisable playable drum kit like DrumsXD to input. I'd pay big money, I've already spent well over $100 on drums apps.

So, can you explain how are you getting from DrumStudio to Auria? Is there any way to sync them to already recorded tracks. Also have you had much luck with the various groove settings or tried syncing with iTunes.

Rob
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:09 pm

RobB wrote:Moved this from the wishlist thread. Not necessarily related to op completely but drum related.

I'm also looking for a drum solution. I think the karma of all the drummer jokes I've ever made has come to haunt me. It's the one part of my recording that's lacking, the weak link. I've bought quite a few drum apps. Currently playing them into Drums XD via midi to Cubasis to edit , after bringing a mix from Auria into Cubasis, then out again. Have a love/hate relationship with Cubasis. Can't wait for Auria to have midi. Want to try Drumagog but it's seems to require a different approach.

@Zenlizard

I'm with you on the drums thing.. Just got Drumstudio. 69Strat posted about it earlier but called it Studio Drummer in his first post and couldn't find it.

I agree this app is a big step on the way. The drags and flams and stuff can produce realistic drumming. Imagine this as a plug in for Auria with a variety of well sampled dum kits. Maybe a customisable playable drum kit like DrumsXD to input. I'd pay big money, I've already spent well over $100 on drums apps.

So, can you explain how are you getting from DrumStudio to Auria? Is there any way to sync them to already recorded tracks. Also have you had much luck with the various groove settings or tried syncing with iTunes.

Rob
Rob, my bad for steering you wrong with the name of the app, glad you found it!

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:15 pm

RobB wrote: So, can you explain how are you getting from DrumStudio to Auria? Is there any way to sync them to already recorded tracks. Also have you had much luck with the various groove settings or tried syncing with iTunes.

Rob

I doubt anyone is going to like this answer... It is why I use DM1 most of the time myself:

First, I make a copy of the complete song for every kit piece I used in it.
In each file, I delete everything but one kit piece.
I export all the files in sections.
In Hokusia, I open each section for each piece and I adjust the gain for individual transients (you can skip this step if you are happy with the three "velocity" levels that DrumStudio uses.
Then I copy and paste the parts into Auria.
In other words it totally sucks and I only do it if I feel I just can't get "close enough" to what I want from DM1.

On the bright side, I have spoken with the developer and he says he has plans to add per transient velocity AND multitrack export to an update.

On the dark side, he said it won't happen for months.

I suggest everyone write him an email and ask for him to put this on the front burner.
— Can you hum a few bars? —

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:20 pm

I forgot to mention that I convert the files to mono, being that it is a more traditional – and easier, in my opinion – way to work with drum tracks. Hokusai converts stereo files to mono quite cleanly.

Another note on Hokusai... It doesn't seem to automatically snap to zero crossings, so it's always a bit of trial and error to slice up a track. That is why I export in sections from DrumStudio.

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:30 am

Phew! you're right I didn't like the answer :)
I didn't like the way I did it either, it's just too messy and long winded.
I've decided completely against loops at the moment and am going to record the drums in DrumsXD. Sounds sloppy as hell but with multiple takes I might be able to salvage something. There's just no other way to 'play the song' except maybe spending hours and hours sequencing bar by bar.
Might visit Midi editing/quantising again when Auria gets Midi.
Thanks for your answer.
Rob

Edit. Scratch that , just had another listen to what I did today, I can't drum...
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:11 am

RobB wrote:...Edit. Scratch that , just had another listen to what I did today, I can't drum...

Heh. I can't play the drums decently either, and after thirteen hundred auditions, I also can't find a suitable drummer to work with. I'm never happy with drum machines — too robotic and repetitive, or loops — takes for-freaking-ever to find loops that fit the song, and they are never a perfect fit.

The developer of Drums XD says he plans to add robust MIDI and maybe an internal MIDI sequencer in an update. I suggested he take a look at DrumStudio to see that excellent sequencer, and as I said before, DrumStudio's developer plans to add multi out, per transient velocity, and Audiobus.

Even if the developer were to only add Audiobus to DrumStudio, it would make the process a lot less tedious – instead of making all those seperate files, we could just record in several passes, and mute all but one kit piece per pass. When one of those things happens I will be very, VERY happy, because when I do go through all those convoluted steps to create a drum part for one of my songs, most people are unable to distinguish the difference between that and the phenom drummer I used to collaborate with.