Convolution reverb problem

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

BrookFin

Convolution reverb problem

Post by BrookFin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:00 pm

I downloaded Convolution reverb a bout a week ago and loved it. I used it on a number of songs without any CPU issues. Suddenly, I can't use it on anything without the CPU warning, even by freezing every track but the one I'm working on. One is a song of three tracks less than two minutes long! I've tried to close everything not Auria, even a hard reboot. I do have a lot of projects brought into Auria via Dropbox. I know Convolution is a CPU hog, and I don't mind working smart to use it wisely. I figure I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Convolution reverb problem

Post by Rim » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:31 pm

What sample rate is the project you're working in? If it's not 44.1K, the CPU will be higher. Also, make sure you're not using 64 bit mixer mode in the settings, as this will almost double the CPU usage in some cases. To reduce CPU usage in the Convolution Reverb, make sure the Low CPU Mode button is on in the reverb as well.

Rim

BrookFin

Post by BrookFin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks, but nothing is set on 64-bit mixer, everything is 44.1K, and the Low CPU Mode button is lit.
OK. I just went back and loaded a track I did last week. It is a stereo piano track and a vocal track. It was the first thing I did after I downloaded Convolution. Everything worked fine. Now it will not do what it did a week ago. In fact, it will not play with Convolution at all. I froze the piano track and it will not play (CPU overload). I froze the vocal track as well. It played one note, then CPU Overload. There is nothing unfrozen in the song! Something else is going on.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:03 pm

I agree, something else must be going on. Do you have Audiobus Mode enabled in Auria's settings? Also, are any of the tracks record enabled?

Try creating a new project, then import these audio tracks and try it again, to see if it's something with that particular project.

What type of iPad are you using?

Rim

BrookFin

Post by BrookFin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Audiobus Mode Off. No tracks record enabled. Loaded four tracks into another song. CPU usage 13% with no FX. Adding Convolution sent it to 40%, but turning a single track AUX up sent it up over 100% in half a second. My iPad is 4th generation.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Do you have Aux Delay Compensation turned on in the settings?

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Another thing to check - make sure no other audio apps were running before you started Auria. Even if you closed them after Auria was started. The reason is because Auria need to start before any other audio app in order to set it's latency to a large buffer size (important for low CPU usage).

To see if any other apps are running, double-tap on the home button.

Rim

BrookFin

Post by BrookFin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Okay. I didn't have any other apps running but I did a hard reset and starting Auria first seems to have worked. Running 8 tracks and the convolution reverb is giving me 36% CPU usage. This was like before. That kinda makes sense. Thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Yep, I bet there was another audio app running at some point when you first started Auria. The way iOS works, whichever app is loaded first gets to decide on the buffer size, so if you had a synth app running, for example, then started Auria, you'll have higher CPU usage in Auria as a result.

Rim

BrookFin

Post by BrookFin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Makes sense. Thanks again.

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:39 am

This is like a modern version of biasing your reel to reel machine. Not fun but if you want to use the gear, you kind of have to know it. I didn't know anything about it until audiobus came out and there was a related discussion. Would it be possible for Auria to detect the current buffer size and if it's low (with audiobus mode is off) let the user know the what and why and how to fix of it?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:01 am

Yes, that's possible, and a good idea. I have to think about how to do this properly.

Thanks,
Rim