Let's See Your Auria Project Studio...

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

BGR
Expert

Re: Let's See Your Auria Project Studio...

Post by BGR » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:55 am

BGR.jpg
BGR.jpg (136.97 KiB) Viewed 40086 times
My mobile option.

I use it basically for classical guitar and voice demos. I'll upload some songs to SoundCloud in the next months. And will produce them AURIA only. No extra plugins needed so far.

Equipment:
-sE Electronics RF-X Reflection Filter
-2x sE Electronics X1R in M/S configuration
-2x Adam Hall 5 star 2m cables
-Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
-AKG K512 Headphones -comfortable and lightweight-
-Y-Cable
-800 mA Winten 5200 mAh WT-P52S-RD external USB power supply -powers Scarlett only-
-simple unpowered Issy 2.0 USB Hub
-CCK to USB
-iPad mini 64Gb
-Auria App 1.140 (running much smoother than 1.130)

Followed fgplayerx's advice to achieve electrical socket independence. And I don't know how much time this configuration lasts per session. But I have worked sometimes for 5 hours straight and neither the iPad nor the Scarlett shuts down because of lack of power.

Greetings.

mikelucas4

Post by mikelucas4 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:06 pm

I call it "the vault" because its an 8x8X8 box. Serves its purpose well! Recording a project for the band Wintersgrey.
Have two songs on youtube and facebook so far. All recorded exclusively with auria!! More songs are at various stages of completion.
Auria really makes things easier than "the old days" of recording.
Attachments
The Vault.jpg
The Vault.jpg (42.36 KiB) Viewed 40064 times

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Mon May 18, 2015 8:24 pm

Had to downsize here some recent images of set up
Attachments
1431998616_tmp_1431998067_tmp_IMG_1950.jpg
1431998616_tmp_1431998067_tmp_IMG_1950.jpg (20.47 KiB) Viewed 39596 times

Johow
Expert

Post by Johow » Mon May 18, 2015 11:30 pm

Here's my getto music world...
Attachments
image.jpg
Air2 128GB, Auria Pro, Loopy, various apps in my collection. Assorted microphones, old m-audio mini keyboard, home made E-drum set, can of rocks, a bunch of home made acoustic and electric guitars, Basses, mandolins and guitjos, +other noise making toys.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Tue May 26, 2015 3:25 am

Wow. It's inspiring to go through all these setups. My setup looks different depending on whether I'm using the living room, conservatory (only any good for electronic drum tracking because of the cat that keeps jumping on the roof!), or the utility room.

For me, that's the joy of the iPad - fabulously mobile.

That said, I have someone coming round about designing an extension for our house. Have a guess what's top of my wish list? Yup - the wife gets a big kitchen so long as I finally get some dedicated studio space

I have my copy of 'Home Recording Studio - Build it Like the Pros' at the ready. If all goes well, I'll be posting my pics here within the year

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:45 am

Right, home studio project is GO, so I'm after your top tips for an iOS home studio. There's plenty of 'spend loads of money on pro grade equipment' advice out there, but I reckon a load of that advice is rubbish. I have a £70 condenser mic and a £450 industry standard one. Can I tell the difference? Not really. What matters more is stuff like new strings on the guitar And a good engineering / mixing / mastering job.

With that in mind, do I really need to do loads of expensive accoustic treatment? My current plan is to do cheap stuff like some rock wool panels and then worry about it if it's a problem. I get a pretty good recording in my conservatory but in my living room it sounds muddy. I reckon that so long as it's not too dead in there, I'll probably be ok.

any views? Also - someone on the thread has a bit of black foam around the rear or their mic. Does that make a noticeable difference on vocals on, as in my case, a rock track?

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Bob Amser wrote:Right, home studio project is GO, so I'm after your top tips for an iOS home studio. There's plenty of 'spend loads of money on pro grade equipment' advice out there, but I reckon a load of that advice is rubbish. I have a £70 condenser mic and a £450 industry standard one. Can I tell the difference? Not really. What matters more is stuff like new strings on the guitar And a good engineering / mixing / mastering job.

With that in mind, do I really need to do loads of expensive accoustic treatment? My current plan is to do cheap stuff like some rock wool panels and then worry about it if it's a problem. I get a pretty good recording in my conservatory but in my living room it sounds muddy. I reckon that so long as it's not too dead in there, I'll probably be ok.

any views? Also - someone on the thread has a bit of black foam around the rear or their mic. Does that make a noticeable difference on vocals on, as in my case, a rock track?
What are your goals for the room to be able to do? Are you wanting a live room for recording with mics or a treated room for mixing?

The first things that come to mind about making recording easier is having a master keyboard and a nice control surface if possible. Good reference monitors and headphones.

Room treatment: If the room is carpeted then adding a few corner traps to reduce low frequency buildup should suffice.

Without knowing more about your goals I can't think of anything else that might be useful. I'm still working on converting a 20' x 20' shop behind our house into a studio. Currently the only room treatment is carpet. The walls are drywall and will definitely need some mid-wall deadening. The ceiling is not acoustic ceiling material. Just flat like the walls. I don't know what to do about ceilings though.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:29 am

@Bob A. The final mixing of your music is the most important as you can actually track music anywhere. As long as the recorded material sounds close to what you wanted. Like your living room being muddy so no recording in the living room but you may find the bedroom or other room to be better so track there instead. The RockWool will do wonders in your room and is not as cheap as you think after you include the wood and time to make them. Placed in the proper place you can really get control of your room. Tracking in the control room is fine providing you left some liveliness in the room by not covering every square inch. I have 12 panels of 2'x4'x4" in a 12'x12' room. On the ceiling I have three panels and one bass trap where the ceiling meets the rear wall. My panels are are low/mid frequency absorbers and are 3/4 of an inch off the wall. On the rear wall I have a quadratic defuser of the prime number 13. This defuser takes care of the high frequencies and is really what makes the difference in my room. Everything sounds so clear and defined. I really recommend one at least but two or three or more is even better. I intend on building a few more for my room. I have a hardwood floor partly covered by a studio carpet which is not very thick. The floor has two inches of cork underlay and this helps keep out thumps from other people in the house from getting into your tracks as well as uncontrollable feet during tracking.lol. The acoustic panel for the vocal that you talk about is used only if your studio room sounds bad for recording vocals. I have one but I no longer need it as my studio room sound really good but if I were to track vocals or anything for that matter at a friends or another place in my home I would use it but I have no need to do that. They do work in controlling unwanted reflections into the mic while tracking and when my studio was in my sailboat it literally saved the day and made for good tracking. Well that is it. remember any treatment is better than nothing and once you get the sound your looking for don't change anything. Don't add anything or remove anything and remember your mic position. Take a photo of the set up if you have to take things down. This will give you a reference when you later have to set up again. Cheers and I hope this helped.
Oh, and it's all rock n roll to me.lol

vortex
Expert

Post by vortex » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:39 pm

Here is my studio:) I Just got this desk a few days ago, my previous setup was very cluttered but this one is perfect for what I need right now. Working on my first song for my first album to be released later this year, completely recorded/mixed/mastered on ipad.

twitter.com/theonevortex
Attachments
unnamed (1).jpg
ipad studio

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:54 pm

Where did you get that desk, i am looking for one at present.

vortex
Expert

Post by vortex » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:39 pm

Freddytwonotes

Post by Freddytwonotes » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi,

Studio on a mic stand. No power required. A phone recharger powers the I track solo which sits on a small shelf I bought online for the mic stand. The mic is an AKG c1000 which I highly endorse for the regular joe like me. It has an insert to make it cardioid so it does well in poor recording situations. Just walk this to any location, plug in your inst. or mic it and make great recordings.

I will be delighted to add my blueboard to this setup with the new Auria pro coming out. When that happens I will be able to use this along with my Bose pas system for almost anything live as well!

Regards,
Fred

image.jpg

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:33 pm

Really great info, folks. My studio will be for tracking and mixing. The compromise is that the space won't be big enough, or away-from-kids-enough to have very loud stuff like live drums or valve amps, so I'm cheating with my Roland drums and valve attenuator etc.

I reckon, from what you've said, some panels on the walls and maybe the odd bought panel may help. I have brilliant monitors with room mode correction which should help, although one of my books made the very good point that you can't enhance a frequency that isn't there, so I will see what can be done to avoid dead spots.

Really impressed with the mobile phone battery idea to power my iTrack solo. Why didn't I think of that! Otherwise the trailing wire is a real pest.

Great help all that, thanks.

claudel
Expert

Post by claudel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:32 am

New portable rig.

Line 6 G55 > iConnectAUDIO4+ Audio + MIDI interface ( charges iPad ) > iPad/Auria

Homemade patch bay to put the connections in front.

2 space shallow bag.

I don't know why the right side of the picture is lopped off, that's the Auria part... :?

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:08 am

claudel wrote:Image

New portable rig.

Line 6 G55 > iConnectAUDIO4+ Audio + MIDI interface ( charges iPad ) > iPad/Auria

Homemade patch bay to put the connections in front.

2 space shallow bag.

I don't know why the right side of the picture is lopped off, that's the Auria part... :?
Wow, that's pretty portable. Um, don't look now, but someone stole 2 of the strings on your guitar and they also took all of your frets. :wink:
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)