iPad4 vs Macbook Pro Sound Quality Variation

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sELF
Expert

iPad4 vs Macbook Pro Sound Quality Variation

Post by sELF » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:32 am

Hey. Whilst loving the iOS world more than the world of DAWs on a laptop: I'm a bit concerned about audio quality issues.
I generally create a track in Samplr. Then take the mixed audio track into Auria for mastering (64 bit mixer option), through Pro C / Q / L. After a fair bit of tweaking I have a fairly reasonable recording. Then I export the 32 bit WAV to my MBP (2.4ghz, 2009). I listen to the recording through the headphone out of my MBP: Suddenly there is a huge rise in bass frequencies and other variations in audio quality that have not been audible on my iPad4 through its built in headphone socket. This does, though, correspond with the EQ reading I was seeing on Pro Q's high res display, but just not hearing through the iPad's headphone socket!
I have yet to upgrade to an iPad audio interface, which I assume might fix everything) I am wondering what to do. I am also wondering which 1, 2 or 4 channel audio interface I can afford that might fix my dilemma naturally!?
P.S Don't get me started on the next annoyances of getting a reasonable MP3 transfer to Soundclouds' limited 128k world after working through the variations in audio quality of each mix iPad to MBP :(

mtingle
Expert

Re: iPad4 vs Macbook Pro Sound Quality Variation

Post by mtingle » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:47 am

I would look at the apogee, RME or focusrite audio interfaces for the best quality da convertors for critical listening purposes.

There's a list of tested auria compatible interfaces here:

http://www.auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

pipo79
Expert

Post by pipo79 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:52 am

Now that I read your post I can tell that I had the same experience when I was mixing in Auria being connected to a small JBL-dockingstation via the EarphoneJack (i thought it's a good Idea to get my mix matching to those shitty dockingstations) - it truly changes the sound somehow (bass is more in "reality")and I never tried this again and for mixdowns I have the Ipad always connected to my focusrite scarlett 18i6 now - it seems to be the "real" sound now !
I suggest the focusrite scarlett series - there are many of them (also small ones for about 170€ - but look for adat/spdif options - you never know when you can use it -)
I AM NOT WORKING FOR FOCUSRITE and have a RME Hammerfall iNterface with my BigMac....(old G4....)
I am very condifent with the small ScarlettInterface I carry around all the time to record live !
Also when I called Focusrite some months ago (there was an iOs-update & I was afraid of loosing the compability) - they told me that their interfaces will always be a stable iOs-compatible partners for production in music.
Midi also works great - and the preamps do very well comparing to my Avalon and Gainstation....(might sell one?)

Kind regards - Pipo

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks naturally for the replies :)
I am deciding that after I do the 'bank job' to raise the as yet invisible cash: I had better get a minimal interface that I can use outside, ideally. And one that will enable me to keep charging my battery as well. ( Where will my my Keystaion Mini go :x ) With my current Samplr / Auria addiction I empty my iPad battery already once or more every day :mrgreen:

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:15 am

One point I failed to consider & mention: The built in headphone jack on the MBPro 2009, compared to my iPad 4, is not that great either. Perhaps they are both lying to me in different ways. The question is which one to trust most. Or perhaps trust neither, of course. I'm considering the avid fast track solo now, although I'd probably be happiest with the apogee one, cash permitting. Opinions welcome :idea:

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:07 pm

@sELF Trust neither but test your mix on both!

WalterH

Post by WalterH » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:26 pm

This has nothing to do with the sound quality of Auria and everything to do with the headphone jacks on your two machines. The headphone jack on the iPad has a high-pass filter on it that filters out much of the bass. If you do any mixing or mastering on your iPad with the built-in headphone jack, you will surely increase a lot of the bass frequencies to achieve the balance you want. When you export and listen to the same file on your MBP, you will get much more bass from it. I always use an external interface to listen to any mixes to do mission critical work on the frequency balance. Trusting any built in headphone jack will result in a mix that won't translate well to any other device.

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Hey thanks. To Walter H,But, I was already becoming aware of the limitations: Headphone jack & headphone quality! My low budget temporary solution seems to be helping things along a lot: Upgrade from closed back Sony 570 to Beyer DT 990 'Pro' = Sehr Gut! And the Behringer UCA202 = remarkably reasonable for €24!
BUT...I am finding that even when using a sound card & good phones, there is a marked difference between the sound iPad vs MBPro. I prefer the iPad4 sound. And the difference is similar to when I used the original headphone sockets. A diffferent stereo field & fullness to the sound. Even though I thought it should be more or less identical now that I am avoiding the different headphone socket issue. And yes the 202 is not the culprit :D Perhaps the audio system in my early 2.4ghz MBPro is at fault, deficient in some way. Even through a USB sound card!?! And 990s! (I have tested this on 20 different recordings!)

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:55 am

Okay. I have found the source of my sound problem. The audio is way below par on my MBPro 2009! My friends later MBPro is very similar to my iPad4. Even with a sound card my MBP is seriously deficient. Strange. An expensive problem. Macbook Air anyone?! :)

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:31 am

These are obvious so to the OP, forgive me for pointing out obvious things that you may already know, just covering all the bases here: as a Mac Lover, i have to admit there are some very specific pet peeves i have with their hardware.

One thing is, the first thing to go (ie: sux) on every and all iOS devices that were ever made? The headphone jack.
Its crackly even new out of the box, and is destroyed through even careful use.

This means that simply twisting the jack may cause frequencies to cut in and out. You know, like when a normal headphone jack receptor is about to break. Phasing, bass loss, st image loss. All common.

That being said, let me ask you: Are you using serious DJ or Studio monitor headphones...or we're talking earbuds
or something that doesnt produce bass in the first place?

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 am

If you're listening to the track on the MBP using iTunes, make sure you have Sound Check and Sound Enhancer turned off in iTunes preferences too. That will affect what you hear and any comparisons you're trying to make.

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:11 am

Hey. As I said, I upgraded my phones to BeyerDynamic DT990s. Much better, but: the problem with the MBPro is not even in the weak spot of the headphone jack. It appears to be internal. I do not know why, but even when using an audio interface, the sound is way below par. Compared to a newer MBPro and my iPad4. As if the sound circuitry is inferior or some other problem due to age. Stereo image and frequency response are inadequate to say the least :?
I listen to the 32bit files in Ableton Live or on the OSX desktop by the way...

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Interesting but that doesn't make sense. An interface on an old mac, or 1996 Windows PC for that matter, should sound the same as an interface on a new mac (presuming you're not talking about some sort of connected-to-the-headphone-jack interface and putting driver issues aside). It's just a file and the interface is responsible for making the sound. That is to say that your old mac isn't storing the digital file any differently than a new one would. For sure, try playback via something that isn't iTunes (like VLC).

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:40 pm

I listen to the 32bit files in Ableton Live or on the OSX desktop by the way...[/quote]
And yes, it is quite bizarre! I have checked many tracks. Not in iTunes! And the audio is compromised. Harsh top end, distortion, space dimensions corrupted. It sounds like listening to a malfunctioning sound card internally perhaps(?)
And yes, this is the same sound problem regardless of whether I use the headphone socket or mu USB sound card(!?)
Baffling. Possibly a trip to an Apple service centre might isolate the malfunctioning component. Or is it time for a new MBPro? Well yes, it's always time for the latest MBP! Time to call upon Mr Xmas early :)
Unless anyone has any tips!
BTW. The most recent OSX runs hot on some MBPros including mine. This is solved temporarily by a reset of the system management (SMC). I doubt whether this should of caused any sound issues (?) Many people have asked Apple to address this issue with OSX 10.8. Nothing yet, other than an annoying fan noise if any minor work is going on. Something that didn't occur with any previous OSX software on the computers with this issue.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?view ... cale=en_US
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/45 ... 0&tstart=0
But I think Apple's OSX problem is not the cause. As the sounds is corrupted even when the fan is not running. Regardless of when I use my MBPro, same nasty sound!

BlackBox
Expert

Post by BlackBox » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:45 am

Wow for as serious as this is I never really thought about it (high pass filter through headphone jack on ipad) So if I am now running from Auria to my 1818 via CCK for mixing am I getting true replication for what I am doing? I don't know why I never realized this before and thankfully haven't done anything definitive yet to make me face palm myself. It does sound a lot more clearer.