Waveform Display Gain

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

timmyg
Expert

Waveform Display Gain

Post by timmyg » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:50 am

Hi all,

I have varying overall volumes on 6 different songs I have mixed. I was wondering if I should use the Waveform Display Gain to turn up/down the overall volume, so the songs sound more consistent? Some songs are peaking occasionally so can I use this to bring down the overall mix (without having to adjust all the tracks & automation etc)?

Is this the idea of this feature as I'm not entirely sure what it's for?!

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Tim

mtingle
Expert

Re: Waveform Display Gain

Post by mtingle » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:09 am

The waveform display size slider varies only the visual display of the waveform. This is used to enlarge a quite recording so you can see more detail for editing purposes. It doesn't change the actual volume.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:51 am

timmyg wrote:Hi all,

I have varying overall volumes on 6 different songs I have mixed. I was wondering if I should use the Waveform Display Gain to turn up/down the overall volume, so the songs sound more consistent? Some songs are peaking occasionally so can I use this to bring down the overall mix (without having to adjust all the tracks & automation etc)?

Is this the idea of this feature as I'm not entirely sure what it's for?!

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Tim
If you need to adjust the level of the waveform itself simply highlight the wave by double tapping and dragging your finger to turn the wave area grey. Make sure to select all of the wave. Then under Process choose Gain and set the gain amount to -2 db to lower the wave by -2db. If you need to increase the level set the gain to 2db . You can of course use any number you want but it is best to go in increments. And as an included bonus, did you know that you can adjust that gain to a tolerance of .1 of a db that's 1/10 th. so you can get into some very fine editing here. I use this method to control my tracks before I start mixing and I end up using very little compression as the tracks are already under control. I also use this when importing audio from audiocopy/paste as the files are usually too hot and clipping when they arrive in Auria so a quick reduction in the wave level and I have all the headroom I need to mix and master the track.
Cheers and hope this helps.

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:38 am

Thanks Anthoney that's great advice.

Can I adjust the overall volume this way (highlight all tracks) or does it only work on single waveforms?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:03 pm

timmyg wrote:Thanks Anthoney that's great advice.

Can I adjust the overall volume this way (highlight all tracks) or does it only work on single waveforms?
:D Hi TimmyG, yes you can adjust the level of several tracks at a time. It is a little tricky trying to highlight all the tracks as there is no command for this like a *SELECT ALL* feature. I usually select starting at the top left corner and work my finger downward to the bottom right corner. Then set your level. However the overall volume for a track is easiest when set simply by the fader of that track. The GAIN process method is more permanent but can be reversed,undone or re-gained +/-
Cheers and hope this helps.
~~_/)~~~*

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:25 pm

You can also use the channel strip or similar plugin to adjust overall track gain if the main volume fader is already automated.