FR - way to turn off all automation's visability

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mtingle
Expert

FR - way to turn off all automation's visability

Post by mtingle » Tue May 21, 2013 5:34 am

say you have a whole bunch of tracks (16+) many with automation on.

If you then want to edit a block of regions you have to zoom in to each track that has automation on, turn off it's visibility, do that for all tracks, perform the operations on the regions then zoom back to each track to turn on its automation visibility again.

A nice time shaving shortcut would be a global 'turn automation visibility on/off' to allow editing/ moving/ trimming/ fading of regions on the fly.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: FR - way to turn off all automation's visability

Post by Rim » Tue May 21, 2013 8:36 am

Sure, it's possible to make a global "Show Automation" checkbox in the menu, but I think the larger issue is: you probably shouldn't be moving regions once you have automation drawn, because automation doesn't move with the regions. So once you move your regions, your automation will be off. So I just wonder if it's worth the extra menu real estate to add this.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue May 21, 2013 8:46 am

well it's not just moving regions of course, it could be selecting them to be muted, trimming them or changing a fade.

Of course ideally you automate last but this is not always the case if you'd like to experiment with a new arrangement after a mix is made.

also, one day when moving automation becomes that tad bit easier to do being able to toggle on/off the automation will mean that moving regions around after automation will be more normal.

It might not need to be a menu item, it could be small button next to say the 'multi-select' button in the top left of the screen. making it even easier activate.

Being able to turn off the visibility of the automation has the added advantage of not disturbing any of the automation points when scrolling around the project. This does happen to me from time to time and I never know if I've moved a point or not.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue May 21, 2013 8:56 am

Good point. I'll add this to my list.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rim

Jens

Post by Jens » Thu May 23, 2013 4:40 am

mtingle wrote:
Of course ideally you automate last but this is not always the case if you'd like to experiment with a new arrangement after a mix is made.
How to seperate mixing and arranging? Maybe I want the chorus-guitar to play distorted chords, but the verse clean. I can not play/record the bassline and the vocals for the record approprately if the guitar is not going what it will be doing in the final mix. So I either need another track for the chorus-guitar (ressources, ressources) or I need to be able to automate the channel-switch for the amp - and hassle free. Of course ( because I am still very much in the arrangement phase of the production) I might decide to add an intro later ( or change the one that is already there) and probably I will want to copy the chorus over for its second appearence. This is of course just an example.

Sometimes I get the impression, "DAW"-developers are totally oblivious to the needs of the advanced 'bedroom-producer', which greatly differ from those of the engineer who records a live-band. I have a hunch though, that AURIA's potential customer-base can mainly be found amidst the former ones and not the latter. I don't assume many Pro Tools Rigs will be swapped for iPads running AURIA anytime soon.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu May 23, 2013 5:46 am

Jens wrote:
mtingle wrote: Sometimes I get the impression, "DAW"-developers are totally oblivious to the needs of the advanced 'bedroom-producer', which greatly differ from those of the engineer who records a live-band. I have a hunch though, that AURIA's potential customer-base can mainly be found amidst the former ones and not the latter. I don't assume many Pro Tools Rigs will be swapped for iPads running AURIA anytime soon.
Auria has an edit screen so it it very much aimed at all aspects of the recording and song creation process. It makes sense for all these areas to work as intelligently as they can. This software is very powerful but it would be slightly more powerful IMO if the automation process could be used without impediment at any stage of the creative process. That being said, it's certainly not a difficult thing to leave automation till last and adds a certain old school restrictive practice that may bring about beneficial results.

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Thu May 23, 2013 7:24 am

I suggest that when a track is in full height Auria will show much larger automation points buttons.
I also suggest things raised before, such as:
1. Vertical/horizontal lock of automation point's movement.
2. Double tap automation point for a text field to enter value manually.

It's funny that people talk around this forum about full midi support while there are 1000 synth apps out there.
Midi clock is relevant to sync input apps with Auria. But more then that at this stage????
Auria should be best at her origin mission, which is a recording-mastering studio.
For that Automation editing should improve.

I love Auria and enjoy using it.
I will enjoy using automation when it will reach the touch level of Auria other parts/features.

Regards,
Shay

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu May 23, 2013 7:52 am

Definitely some food for thought. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rim

Jens

Post by Jens » Thu May 23, 2013 8:39 am

Shay wrote:I
It's funny that people talk around this forum about full midi support

I agree in that I think there imo needs a lot of other stuff to be improved first. I think support for softsynth-plugins and a MIDI-editor would be great features, but only if what is already there is in a fully useable state, whcih for me, to be frank, it is not right now.

AURIA definetely goes in the right direction and what is already there is basically great, but if I needed to produce a song on an iPad now, I would surely go with Beatmaker 2 instead.

I bought AURIA to support the development and to get familiar with it at a relatively early stage, so all is good for me.

But reading through this forum I get the impression there are a lot of beginners here who have less than average expectations when it comes to music production - even though I know that Michael produces whole prog concept albums (or at least that's what he did some years back) so I wonder how that goes for him with AURIA.

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Thu May 23, 2013 11:26 am

I want to say again that I love the Auria a lot.
I'm not a professional musician but I have technical skills and a fast learner.
I learn new stuff every project and amazed how much more is there to learn.

I am grateful for Rim and his team.
I thank the great people in this forum, which contribute knowledge voluntarily.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu May 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Jens wrote:even though I know that Michael produces whole prog concept albums (or at least that's what he did some years back) so I wonder how that goes for him with AURIA.
can't say I'd relish the idea of doing a complex song arrangement at the moment with things as they stand, mostly because the ipad screen is too small and also the power of the cpu is still lacking for taxing projects.

I'm happy to work within the limitations of Auria and ipad as they stand, it's excellent for creativity and the abundance of super inexpensive synths that are growing in stature on a weekly basis makes this platform lots of fun.

OK it's not got all the whistles and bells, MIDI would be ok, but I rather like the arcane retro way of recording synths, gives the focus on performance over perfection that's a refreshing change.

[I did wonder if that was the jens from kvr, I guess I'm right]

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu May 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks guys. I take all these suggestions seriously. My goal is to make Auria the best mobile recording platform around, so keep them coming. Auria may not replace a full desktop solution, but if you're able to take the most essential part of your studio with you to the places where creativity really strikes, then I think Auria's met it's goal.

Rim

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Thu May 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Rim wrote:... but if you're able to take the most essential part of your studio with you to the places where creativity really strikes, then I think Auria's met it's goal.

Rim
That says it all.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu May 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Rim wrote:Thanks guys. I take all these suggestions seriously. My goal is to make Auria the best mobile recording platform around, so keep them coming. Auria may not replace a full desktop solution, but if you're able to take the most essential part of your studio with you to the places where creativity really strikes, then I think Auria's met it's goal.

Rim
I've never enjoyed music on a computer so much Rim and this is mostly down to Auria. I actually consider what you've achieved to be a miracle, can't thank you enough :)

Jens

Post by Jens » Sat May 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Rim wrote:Thanks guys. I take all these suggestions seriously. My goal is to make Auria the best mobile recording platform around, so keep them coming.

Very super-cool! Gold-star attitude! :D