Which add-on first?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ZenLizard
Expert

Which add-on first?

Post by ZenLizard » Sun May 19, 2013 9:16 am

This is only to satisfy my own curiosity. If you have purchased additional content from the Auria Store, which content and in what order did you purchase?

Also, what were your reasons for getting the add-ons in the order that you chose?

Finally, which add-ons do you find most useful, or most often used, and why?

To anyone willing to take the time to answer my little survey, I thank you.

Personally, I got the Q first followed by the MicroWarmer later on the same day. I love the Q because it is so damn easy to find exactly the frequencies that need altering and the power and precision are breathtaking. I got the Gog the next day because I flat freaking LOVE the results which are easily achievable with it. In my own current workflow it was critical. I had a zillion IRs already so I haven't purchased any of those yet, nor the video module, but I plan to.
— Can you hum a few bars? —

Tarekith
Expert

Re: Which add-on first?

Post by Tarekith » Sun May 19, 2013 10:07 am

I haven't purchased any yet, but first on my list for next week is the Pro-L limiter. The built in PSP brickwall limiter is ok, but the Pro-L is my go to on the laptop and I know it inside and out. I'd find it much more versatile for iPad "mastering" duties.

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Sun May 19, 2013 10:55 am

I purchased the retroverb library, then the pro Q, then the micro warmer...timeless 2 is next on my list.
No real reason for the order. They're all great but the micro warmer is a good place to start, easy, instant results.

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sun May 19, 2013 11:16 am

I think the Pro-Q was the first add-on I purchased (I use one on every channel), followed pretty quickly by the StereoDelay, StereoChorus and others. Once I realized how good Auria is and how well the add-ons worked, I purchased the rest as well. The only ones I don't have at this point are the SpringReverb (never did care for spring reverb) and the EnvShaper (haven't seen a use for it yet).

I was fortunate in being able to sell off some of my photographic equipment which helped to fund the purchases. I still find it remarkable (having equipped touring acts and studio during the 70's and early 80's) that this functionality and quality is available on an iPad (a wonder all its own) for such a small amount of money. I'm looking forward to seeing what else becomes part of the stable!

Cheers,

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Sun May 19, 2013 2:14 pm

@sch — I'm with you on spring reverb! Never heard one that I actually liked.

I figured I would eventually get the envelope shaper if I needed it, and I probably will — there are some Drumagog samples I like except for the way they decay, so hopefully it will deal with those.

I LOVE the Q. It is so freaking easy to "drag in" exactly what is needed and the quality is outstanding.
— Can you hum a few bars? —

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sun May 19, 2013 4:49 pm

ZenLizard wrote:I LOVE the Q. It is so freaking easy to "drag in" exactly what is needed and the quality is outstanding.
I could actually do away with the ChannelStrip EQ section (if not all of it) and use Pro-Q exclusively. As you say, EQing graphically is far more intuitive, especially with the analyzer display. A capability I'd love for Auria would be a spectrum analyzer that you could use to overlay several tracks to see areas where they clump etc.

Hey Rim, I assume that if we have the individual sections of the ChannelStrip switched off (with the main ChannelStrip not in Bypass), that we are then incurring processor usage only from any active inserts. Is that correct?
Last edited by sch on Sun May 19, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Sun May 19, 2013 4:58 pm

An analyzer which could overlay several signals is also vital for mastering when you want to compare your spectral balance to a reference signal's... so, even though it's off-topic... yeah, I can only agree :-)