Love this thing...

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

69strat
Expert

Love this thing...

Post by 69strat » Sat May 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Been using an apogee duet 2 and auria for about a month and all I can say is wow! Had a couple of glitches along the way but that's to be expected, this is newly charted territory. Thanks to all of the folks at wavemachine labs for making recording fun and incredible sounding. I've been trying to capture my guitar tone (69 maple cap strat) on analog and digital media in my home for years and this is by far the best sounding, easiest way I've found...with a $49 app! Outstanding!
Pete

ZenLizard
Expert

Re: Love this thing...

Post by ZenLizard » Sun May 19, 2013 7:15 am

Ditto on the "love this thing" sentiment. Myself and a drummer wrote, recorded, and sold music for two decades, but we parted ways last year. I've been unable to find a replacement with his skill, style, sound, and compatibility. I tried to sequence drums instead, but I never could find anything that produced realistic results. After purchasing Auria with the Drumagog plugin (in addition to all the other fantastic Auria plugins). I have clients regularly say to me that it's great that my drummer and I got back together! Auria development team — you SAVED MY CAREER! I simply can NOT thank you enough.
— Can you hum a few bars? —

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Sun May 19, 2013 7:50 am

Zenlizard,
Hijacking the thread a bit... but can I ask, how are you getting drums into Auria now? I too have been looking for ways to get good sounding drums for my tunes. My understanding is the Drumagog only replaces individual tracks of single drum hits with other samples. At the moment I'm learning to play, finger drum style, with an app called Drums XD. How are you using Drumagog?

Rob
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun May 19, 2013 7:54 am

ZenLizard wrote:Ditto on the "love this thing" sentiment. Myself and a drummer wrote, recorded, and sold music for two decades, but we parted ways last year. I've been unable to find a replacement with his skill, style, sound, and compatibility. I tried to sequence drums instead, but I never could find anything that produced realistic results. After purchasing Auria with the Drumagog plugin (in addition to all the other fantastic Auria plugins). I have clients regularly say to me that it's great that my drummer and I got back together! Auria development team — you SAVED MY CAREER! I simply can NOT thank you enough.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I thought Drumagog replaced the sounds of drum tracks that were aleady recorded. How are you using it? I'm looking for an alternative for DrumLoops HD, which sounds very good but is limited.

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Sun May 19, 2013 8:51 am

Been using the looploft for drum tracks, they sound incredible. 24 bit 48 KHz live recorded drums. Well organized, easy to use

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Sun May 19, 2013 10:26 am

@supanortan and @RobB – you're right about what Drumagog does.

Here's what I do: I sequence the drums in an app like DrumStudio or DM1, using generic samples. I carefully set the dynamics and length for every hit when I'm done laying out the part, leave everything panned to center, and leave all effects off. Then I export the entire song using the 'separate tracks' option in DM1, or by making multiple duplicates of the song for each piece of the kit I've used in DrumStudio, deleting all but one piece from each file, and exporting each to the pasteboard. I make a new file in Hokusai, and paste all the tracks into it, convert each stereo file to mono, and copy the tracks back to the pasteboard. (You can probably skip that step, but I like to work with mono drum tracks and pan them out during mixing).

I then paste each track into Auria, add Drumagog mono to every track, and replace each piece of the kit. I usually have to mute a sample or two. I'm sure it sounds like a lot, but with a little practice it goes easily and quickly. I usually do a rough drum mix at this point, panning the drums into the stereo field.

I will try to find time to post an example to SoundCloud later today and post the link here, so you can hear the final result. It can end up sounding more realistic than anything else out there besides a reall drummer bangin' it out.

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Sun May 19, 2013 10:28 am

Oh yeah, and it's probably obvious, but I make sure to set the tempo the same at every step along the way. In Auria, I set the meter for bars|beats instead of the default minutes|seconds to line things up for any slicing, duplicating, and moving.

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Sun May 19, 2013 10:47 am

Zenlizard, I'd like to share an example as well, how do I upload to soundcloud and post a link in this thread? Thanks

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Sun May 19, 2013 2:04 pm

@69strat — on the "your account" page at the soundcloud website, there is a built in tool to upload audio files. After the file is uploaded, I believe you can copy the link and paste it into your post. It's been a really long time since I've done it, so I'll have to figure it out again. I'll let you know if that's right. You need to have a free SoundCloud account to upload there, and I think there is also a way to link Auria to your SoundCloud account and upload from right within Auria, but I have not tried it so I'm not positive.
Last edited by ZenLizard on Mon May 20, 2013 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Sun May 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Thank you sir!

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun May 19, 2013 9:32 pm

Thank you gentlemen! Looking forward to hearing what they sound like. I have DM1 but don't like sequencing. Perhaps it's time to revisit.

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Sun May 19, 2013 10:24 pm

I've all but given up on loops/sequencing also. Would like to hear your examples too. If sequenced in DM1 aren't they grid perfect?
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Mon May 20, 2013 5:02 am

Sorry everyone. the day got away from me. I will get the audio up today sometime. Yes, Dm1 has the issue of being 'grid perfect', as pointed out by RobB. At the risk of sounding difficult to believe, the drummer I spent all my years writing with was pretty well 'grid perfect' on his own. I think that dynamics and variations in tonality have more to do with sounding real and natural than 'humanized' timing, but I know that's pretty important to a lot of people. I've begun experimenting with using Beatmaker 2 for source drums for that reason. When using DM1, I usually dial in a little swing to suggest a humanized feel. It also occurred to me today that the apps that you play rather than sequence would also work if you have a talent for it and the particular app you are using has good touch sensitivity. Anyway, I'm going to get some shut-eye now and I'll get to the SounCloud example by this afternoon (May 20th).

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Mon May 20, 2013 9:17 am

Been busy her as well, will try to post this evening. I would highly recommend going to the looploft and downloading the free demo pack (I am not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer). It's really easy and they sound great.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon May 20, 2013 9:34 am

When I need more than a drum app can offer as far as programming to suit the song, I use an old tried and true method introduced when digital audio came out. You take your favourite drum samples and arrange them in the arrangement window of Auria and selecting whatever timing snap you want like beat 1/4 1/8 note ect. Then simply import the drum samples and create a drum pattern that fits the song. You can move the samples around to create a more human feel. Mixdown and Save these patterns as INTRO/VERSE/BRIDGE ect. Then load them back in as you need them. You can also set different levels for each hit. The advantage of this process is that you are not limited to what sample you want to use and you have no grid limitations and you are creating a drum part alongside of your audio track giving you imediate refference to what your drumming to. I do this whenever I am stuck on a train,plane or automobile as it is time consuming but when you think that most studio's spend a week just on the drums of a track then it's not so bad.