Love this thing...

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

69strat
Expert

Re: Love this thing...

Post by 69strat » Mon May 20, 2013 1:54 pm

just a short sample here, will post more later...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtip1u7a0j8v9 ... v2%201.wav

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Mon May 20, 2013 2:30 pm

@Anthony — I've used that method also, but I usually wasn't satisfied with the results because altering the volume level of the samples didn't sound close to the way drums & other percussion instruments sound when they are struck harder, softer, or in slightly — or significantly — different areas. That was before I knew about Drumagog, though. Now that I've got it, I will definitely do some experimenting with that technique again.

Thank you for reminding me of it.

For anyone concerned about their drums being 'grid perfect', Anthony describes an excellent way to avoid it, and you can use Drumagog on those tracks to enhance the sense of realism. Just make sure to get the dynamics on your tracks ranged appropriately, or Drumagog won't select the variations, unless the gog you are using includes random mode, but the random mode doesn't get me what I'm going for either. For me, at least, it has to be based on the dynamics of the source material.
— Can you hum a few bars? —

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Mon May 20, 2013 2:48 pm

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Mon May 20, 2013 4:08 pm

Here is just a quick example. The first part is the source files I sequenced in DM1 and imported into Auria. The 2nd part is the same tracks with Drumagog replacing the source. Something funky is going on with my upload, though. It sounds like a heavily compressed mp3 with all kinds of aliasing. I'm not sure why because the other two things I uploaded didn't suffer any degradation. Any ideas? Oh well, I at least think you will be able to get the idea from it as is. I didn't do anything to the tracks besides add Drumagog and a bit of panning.

Here is the link: http://snd.sc/13CBnYQ

I will try to get a better example (and certainly one with better sound quality) uploaded soon.

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Wed May 22, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks guys

I'm going to have to have another look at Drumagog. If only I could trigger it with midi (sigh), would be close to perfect.
Something like iGog on steroids for the iPad would be great too.
I thought for a moment that the snare track was Drumagog :oops: almost thought I'd found the holy grail.
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Wed May 22, 2013 12:20 pm

@RobB — a couple of other things worth mentioning... In my example, I started with a kit that was obviously electronic in order to demonstrate the total replacement by Drumagog, but if you start with a kit that is closer to what you want the end result to be, you can mix those sounds with the Drumagog sounds for better results. Also, I don't own many gog files at present, but there are a lot of snare and kick Gogs available beyond what is in the "Auria Store" that cover a very wide variety of styles and actual vintage and modern kits. The snare I used in my example was a free gog file I found on the Drumagog forum.

A MIDI Drumagog is a fantastic idea, by the way. A total departure from the original intent and purpose of the plugin, to be sure, but still a great idea.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu May 23, 2013 1:10 am

Thanks 69strat and ZenLizard; they sound great. Man, Drumagog is impressive.