Is there yet an offline transfer from GB to Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Erik dP
Expert

Is there yet an offline transfer from GB to Auria?

Post by Erik dP » Fri May 17, 2013 5:35 am

I'm planning take a few days off from work, staying in a house on the countryside. I have a wifi-only Ipad model, and no mobile network out there. I'm not planning to bring a computer (but I might have one nearby with no Itunes). I use several apps, but I seldom use Garageband as it seems to be lacking something like Audiocopy out from GB to Auria. However, Garageband has a good combination of instruments and editing.

Question: Is there a way to (Ipad internally) copy work done in Garageband into Auria?

If not: Is there an easy copy paste way between apps using a small PC-program? (I guess installing Itunes on someone elses computer just to transfer a wav-file is not that popular.)
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

pitzipado
Expert

Re: Is there yet an offline transfer from GB to Auria?

Post by pitzipado » Fri May 17, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Auria and Garage Band
by CEIsar » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:59 am

Actually there is a way to bounce the stuff out of garageband without using internet and/or computer.i recently saw this tip at kvr and i'm really happy about it...,

1.go to your saved song in GB ("my songs")and choose the option to send it via email.
2.go to your mail account and open that mail (stuck in your outbox if not connected to the internet)
3.you will see the attachement and can open it (just push it for 1-2 seconds)in any app that can handle .m4a files (like Multitrack
DAW)
4.audiocopy it from this app to auria

suggestion for rim:make auria support .m4a files so it would be possible to open the file directly without using another
app between
iPad 4 - 64GB - iOS 6.1.3 - No Jailbreak - Auria 1.091
CEIsar
Expert

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Fri May 17, 2013 10:08 am

Thank's. I'll try this. I guessed that the mailbox-stuck-trick would be a possible workaround. Pasting in Multitrack DAW was an extra step I would possible have got stuck on. I'll make sure to re-install it on my leave as I might have deleted it.
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 pm

i hope emailing tracks comes soon :p or "open in"

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Fri May 17, 2013 3:56 pm

Yes there are many apps that will work as an intermediary between GB, and necessary since super easy to paste files in but not to export and paste to other apps.

So someone suggested to me to use Thumbjam, which i bought and use for this purpose...but i dont really use it as a synth and the copy/paste/import options are a HUGE PAIN in the butt.

So i suggest going with another app...whats that simple audio editor with the Asian sounding name?
I heard that one is super quick to use as a go-between...just the name escapes me rite now.

anyway, have fun!

Thanks for posting that 'i have no interwebz' email outbox method...never even thought of this.
But again if you are doing this for a 3rd party app that doesnt read/write native mp4a, then yes you need
a go-between app like the aforementioned...

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Fri May 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Probably Hokusai Audio Editor.

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Fri May 17, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Importing
by pitzipado » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:20 am

Hokusai works well for this. You have to purchase the $2.99 "tools pack" to get the audio copy feature.
E-mail the GB file to yourself select "open in" Hokusai. When the track appears you can touch the sprocket
icon on left for option of remix to mono then touch beginning of track and drag through to highlight
select "more" from the pop up menu select copy when it's done a courtesy "launch Auria" will appear
in Auria edit window select "edit" then "audio paste". Auria still doesn't seem to recognize m4a files
in Dropbox. Hope this helps
pitzipado
Expert

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Sat May 18, 2013 5:59 am

Audioshare is most likely the best "audio hub" for iOS, kinda like GoodReader but for audio. It does have basic editing, like trimming (no zoom tho). But what it does is it gives you full access to Sonoma audio pasteboard so you can clean out all 12 files Sonoma holds, if you need to. It can obviously copy audio into Sonoma, and also the general iOS audio pasteboard as well. It supports Dropbox upload/download, Soundcloud, emailing, "open in...", Audiobus input & output. Can convert between different audio formats (like wav, m4a and so on) and different sampling freqs. All done with a very clean and intuitive interface me thinks! It really comes in handy if you shuffle audio files between apps all the time, or just need a central hub audio files storage on your iOS device that can dish out audio files to all your apps.
Last edited by ChrisG on Sat May 18, 2013 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sat May 18, 2013 6:08 am

ChrisG wrote:Audioshare is most likely the best "audio hub" for iOS, kinda like GoodReader but for audio. It does have basic editing, like trimming (no zoom tho). But what it does is it gives you full access to Sonoma audio pasteboard so you can clean out all 12 files Sonoma holds, if you need to. It can obviously copy audio into Sonoma, and also the general iOS audio pasteboard as well. It supports Dropbox upload/download, Soundcloud, emailing, "open in...", Audiobus input & output. All done with a very clean and intuitive interface me thinks! It really comes in handy if you shuffle audio files between apps all the time, or just need a central hub audio files storage on your iOS device that can dish out audio files to all your apps.
+1

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sat May 18, 2013 10:05 am

ChrisG wrote:Audioshare is most likely the best "audio hub" for iOS, kinda like GoodReader but for audio. It does have basic editing, like trimming (no zoom tho). But what it does is it gives you full access to Sonoma audio pasteboard so you can clean out all 12 files Sonoma holds, if you need to. It can obviously copy audio into Sonoma, and also the general iOS audio pasteboard as well. It supports Dropbox upload/download, Soundcloud, emailing, "open in...", Audiobus input & output. Can convert between different audio formats (like wav, m4a and so on) and different sampling freqs. All done with a very clean and intuitive interface me thinks! It really comes in handy if you shuffle audio files between apps all the time, or just need a central hub audio files storage on your iOS device that can dish out audio files to all your apps.
While I like and use Audioshare, I find that the lack of any search capability cripples it.

If you're inserting Audioshare into your workflow as a solution for file management, it should not present an impediment to your flow or to your creativity. If I'm using it as a container for all my audio/loop/MIDI files, I want to be able to do a quick, comprehensive search to find, let's say, all instances of files with the word "glass" in the title. As it is, unless you already know where you put specific files, you're SOL and will have to go hunting.

I've talked with the dev, but he seemed less than interested in making it a priority. Pity. :cry:

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Sat May 18, 2013 11:42 am

I haven't gotten to the point where I need to search for files yet. But I can certainly see that becoming very useful down the road. I'll definitely add my voice for a search function inside audioshare. The dev seem to be doing a lot of stuff for other companies (Yellofier etc), and Audioshare isn't selling by the millions exactly. But he mentions over at audiob.us forum that he might implement requested features, probably via IAP to cover expenses although he doesn't like IAP so I dunno what he's gonna do with it all..

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Sat May 18, 2013 11:25 pm

...So with Audioshare I can directly copy a track/music from Garageband to Auria?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun May 19, 2013 2:57 am

Erik dP wrote:...So with Audioshare I can directly copy a track/music from Garageband to Auria?
Garagebands limitarion is that it does not adhere to the somona copy or intua copy pasteboard but rather it's own pasteboard that only allows you to copy a track from one song in garageband and then paste it into another track or even another song but ONLY in garageband. So even AudioShare won't help with this limitaion. At this point only the email option is the only way to extract an audio track out of garageband WITHOUT using a computer. I was the first one to figure this trick out and I have the most watched youtube video on this topic that I created when garageband was first introduced.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wd1wzCXvey0

The video is pretty old now but the technique is still the same and the instructions are clear and I introduce a couple of apps that did this at the time but many more have been added including it is on the Auria list of features coming soon.

This exclusiveness remains in garagebands attitude towards sharing as even in their Audiobus update, garageband can only except audio but won't insert itself as an input so that you can use JUST it's instruments and avoid the basic recorder and it's limited functions. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Sun May 19, 2013 5:10 am

Thanks! Nice video. Using the outbox instead of actually sending the email is a good trick, which differs from your video instruction. Someone in your comment field experienced bad audio of the mp4 imports. But I guess I could inport them again trough itunes when I get back if it sounds too bad. My recordings are far from polished anyway.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun May 19, 2013 12:34 pm

Erik dP wrote:Thanks! Nice video. Using the outbox instead of actually sending the email is a good trick, which differs from your video instruction. Someone in your comment field experienced bad audio of the mp4 imports. But I guess I could inport them again trough itunes when I get back if it sounds too bad. My recordings are far from polished anyway.
The user you mention did not actually do the email transfer but speculated that because of the bit streaming that it may be possible that the audio could arrive in less quality. As you can see the video has been up for a couple of years and thousands of views and comments on how this actually works very well for them. I will give you the same advice I gave that user. If you need to preserve your audio in the highest audio quality possible than use iTunes or iFunbox or the like to trasnfer your audio in and out of your project. Any method that uses compression to reduce the audio file down to a size that can be handled by email could affect the audio quality. This method should only be used if you don't have a computer readily at hand. Could you explain your statement about ,USING THE OUTBOX INSTEAD OF ACTUALLY SENDING THE EMAIL, what do you mean by this? In order to get that track even to your outbox the audio has already been compressed and transferred online this cannot happen off line and you still need to send the email out of garageband to even see it in your outbox. So to answer your final question it seems the answer is NO. You cannot get audio out of garageband while still preserving the audio quality because it has to be converted to an Mp4. And No you cannot audio/copy out of garageband into any app at all. This is Apples commitment to iTunes. Cheers and hope this clears up your concerns.
~~_/)~~~