Auria Only Recording Studio?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

kwalker0210
Expert

Auria Only Recording Studio?

Post by kwalker0210 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:51 am

I'm curious to know how many users have an iPad only, Auria only recording studio? Just for clarity sake, I'm mean every project is started and completed without aid or processing in another device or computer DAW.

ajmack302
Expert

Re: Auria Only Recording Studio?

Post by ajmack302 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:06 am

That would be me! I have an iPad2 32gb, Presonus 1818vsl and use Auria to record with my band.
I'm constantly surprised by what I can achieve with such a portable and relatively simple setup.

Aaron

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sat May 04, 2013 11:00 am

Other than one project I had already started in Reason, but mixed and finished in Auria, I use the iPad exclusively now for music. I started using Auria on an iPad 1 64GB but then upgraded to an iPad 4 128GB, specifically to be equipped for music production and photographic processing.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sat May 04, 2013 11:41 am

Currently i'm doing stuff only with my ipad,finally arranged and mixed in Auria.My Macbook and other stuff is collecting dust.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat May 04, 2013 1:57 pm

I did my first song on the iPod touch called John and released a Christmas song on iTunes also done on the iPod Touch. It was basic and the delay was double tracking and then moving the second track slightly in time to create a delay effect because all you could do was record and playback and volume, nothing else. Yet this seemed to take me back to the first days of recording on my four track reel to reel. It was fun again as my Mac and Logic seemed so boring or even too easy at times. When I got my iPad 2, I really took it seriously and put my Logic aside and worked on my music only on my iPad 2. Then Auria came and I moved to the iPad 3 then 4 all due to Auria. So I guess I have been recording on iOS since 2011. I have not released a single song on any other device since then. Now that Auria is a strong and robust Daw, I see and hear no reason to go back to Logic or Protools. I like a challenge in my recording process, it makes me think more about the track and getting it right the first time as opposed to just recording lazy tracks and then trying to make them sound good. I love the way Auria changed my approach to recording and mastering. So yes my Youtube Tutorial channel is Anthony's iPad Recording Studio and it is a real iPad recording project studio that runs strictly on the iPad. This year I hope to purchase an Apogee Duet 2 for better sound converters and Genelec 8020B for referencing. I'm confident that this will make my tunes slightly better than they are now. There is much better gear out there but I have done ok with lower end stuff so this will be a step up for me. And I do this for fun and to help local musicians get their music out there that sounds pretty good. I belong to a group that helps mix artists songs that have little or no talent in mixing, nor do they want to. I love Auria and I thank everyone who brought it to life. So now give us Midi. So we can show off to the rest of the recording world. lol. Seriously, we need midi because we could get a plugin that is not an app and that would set Auria apart from Audiobus synths. In other words only Auria users could get say the Twin2 by Fabfilter. I have high hopes for this and I have been asking Fabfilter for that addition to their Auria plugin line. Wow enough said here by me. Cheers all. :D

jrech
Expert

Post by jrech » Sun May 05, 2013 5:19 pm

I am currently working on a project that is goings be from start to finish in auria. I am tryin to iron out the interface issue. Once auria has a take folder like logic, and I can find an interface that will accommodate my presonus m80 and alesis ai-3, I will move exclusively to my ipad and auria. I am really enjoying using this app. It is awesome!!!
iPad Pro, Auria Pro - https://jodyrech.bandcamp.com

Stewartludwig
Expert

Post by Stewartludwig » Mon May 06, 2013 12:41 am

This was what i wanted to do when I purchase Auria and i gotta say, if you want to record a releaseable album recorded on Ipad then this would be no problem at all with Auria. Obviously easy for simple stuff, hardest with electric rock bands of course. When compared to my home studio DAW ( which runs pro tools and Reaper usings 64 gigs ram and 3 TB PCIe raided SSDs at 2500 MB per sec sustained) yes way overkill for audio but its more for film stuff. Actually this ipad 4 running Auria holds its own completely against that setup until you get above 12-15 tracks and then drops when adding plugins. Thank god for track freezing. When it comes to mastering that's were I take it out of the ipad as there are no current mastering apps or plugins yet.

Basically this is my tried and true way for simple ipad recording: I prefer playing drum tracks first via Igog or roland VS kit into ipad. ( Or use crappy ipad sequencers for temp rhythms and replace later) Then breakout to multi channels (via mix down isolation )so i can use different custom drum samples via drumagog in Auria if I want. Guitar and bass are then recorded in via Apogee jam ( 24bit,48) using amplitube mostly or real gear/ mics . Vocals via hot tubed phantom and sm7. Sound box is Roland duo EX with balanced I/O for everything and outputted to uncoloured powered monitors for play back. All this is very simple, cheap and portable. Heck even at today's recession based studio prices one day in a REAL recording studio will cost more than buying all this ipad and gear together.

In my humble opinion If you know what your doing ( along with having talent and common sense) you can get about 80-90 % the quality you can get outta a great analogue neve board recording to 2" fat tape in a real studio and that's just freakin amazing. Remember though, any one can build a go kart that will go as fast as a ferrari but it will definetly not handle the same! And this ipad recording will never be as cool though and that last 10% of magic will never happen because your not in a " recording studio". Theres nothing like the pressures of budgets, A&R reps and deadlines to bring out the best in the studio. Personally for me though, an ipad running Auria is the biggest shock / breakthrough since digital home recording started and you should have no problem recording almost any album that has been made in the last 50 years ( quality wise) with Auria except you'd be missing the great musicians, songs and producers etc. So yes you can easily record professional quality material on the ipad, release it and sell millions ( of singles). Go for it.

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Mon May 06, 2013 6:34 am

I use Ipad3 (wifi/16GB) from beginning to end. I also use the Apogee One (2009-to-now-version). I also use other apps for instruments, e.g. Garage Band but I prefere the ones with copy'n'paste capabilities. I use De-esser, Pro-Q and Micro Warmer.
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon May 06, 2013 3:19 pm

Erik dP wrote:I use Ipad3 (wifi/16GB) from beginning to end. I also use the Apogee One (2009-to-now-version). I also use other apps for instruments, e.g. Garage Band but I prefere the ones with copy'n'paste capabilities. I use De-esser, Pro-Q and Micro Warmer.
nice :D

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Mon May 06, 2013 4:14 pm

I fall into this category. I'm producing a full album on an iPad 4 (currently) with Auria with real instruments mic'd up via a presonus 1818. I'm doing all the writing, playing, singing, arranging and then my brother will do all the tech mixing, editing, etc..then we send it off for mastering and there ya go, album out in November. People are skeptical when I tell them but its for real! Haha

Ericd921
Expert

Post by Ericd921 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:40 pm

I've made the switch to strictly Auria, and I'm very impressed by it. I have a few different setups that I use for various needs:

Presonus 1818vsl+Presonus Digimax FS (18 channels, ADAT sync'd) --> IPad 4 (Auria)

Apogee Jam/IRig MIDI/CCK --> iPad 2 32gb(GarageBand, JampUp, etc.) --> phones out --> Apogee Jam --> iPad 4 128gb (Auria)

Apogee Jam --> IPad 4 128gb (Auria)

I was getting some latency, but now that I ran a loop-back test correctly and adjusted for it, everything is running tip top at 256 sample latency. Amazingly smooth and on point! Currently, I'm tracking my eight-piece reggae band and starting to get some higher track counts. But it still hasn't presented any problems yet. We're working concurrently on two new albums with the concept of staying within the iOS realm, and the sounds we're able to get are unbelieveable! I can't get over the fact that I'm able to do this all on iPad!!! I've also got several plugins at my disposal, and they are becoming indispensable. I highly recommend Pro-Q and Pro-L, PSP oldTimer and MicroWarmer. They've added a lot of life to my mixes, and honestly I plan to get all the FabFilter plugins whenever I get some extra cash. IMHO, Auria can't be beat in terms of quality coupled with portability. I can always transfer my mixes to Protools, but I don't really have a need...Auria does exactly what I need it to do, at least for now. I love showing Auria off to the old-schoolers and blowing their minds!!! :mrgreen:
Eric

MisterS

Post by MisterS » Tue May 07, 2013 7:05 pm

I have been working exclusively with Auria as my DAW on my iPad 2 16 gig device. Having no experience in digital recording before spending a few months working with Garage Band then Music Studio, I took the plunge and bought Auria in hopes of upping my game in sound recording. I've only spent a couple weeks working with Auria and have produced two full songs with it. I am currently studying the Lynda.com videos and learning at blazing speed the potential of this amazing technology. Really excited for what it can unlock for my music! The short answer is: YES, Auria is my only recording studio and the iPad with the help of the Akai EIE is my only recording device.

https://soundcloud.com/rosecroixrecordi ... n-mister-s
Mister S

https://soundcloud.com/rosecroixrecordi ... n-mister-s

Currently running on: iPad 2 (16 gig), Akai EIE, Auria, any instrument I can get my hands on, Father Heaven, Mother Earth, Ancestors. Ai Hurai! Ai Hurai! Ai Hurai!

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 pm

I have a question for those of you who are Auria-only. How much record time are you getting on this rig? I ask this because it is not possible to charge the iPad or run it on wall wart power while using an interface connected to it. This would seem to hamper the ability to do those 12 hour sessions we all know and love.

Gary

Checkrath
Expert

Post by Checkrath » Fri May 31, 2013 12:40 am

I'm another iPad only musician. Auria is where I do most recording, all the mixing and all mastering. I have an iPad 3 which means I have to vigilant with my CPU usage at times but it is achievable.

I step outside Auria for sequencing (use Beatmaker2 or Nanostudio) and sometimes I'll use LoopyHD or Multitrack Daw for AudioBus parts. Apart from that, Auria meets my needs 100%!

https://soundcloud.com/craig-heckrath

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:24 am

Auria only until I edit in Soundforge 9.

All my recording is in Auria now.