Anyone gone 3gen iPad to 4gen iPad due to Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Tarekith
Expert

Anyone gone 3gen iPad to 4gen iPad due to Auria?

Post by Tarekith » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:06 pm

Auria is the first app that makes my iPad 3 feel a little slow, especially while moving around the Edit screen. From what I understand, the A6x in the iPad 4 has almost twice the cpu power, and quad core versus dual core graphics.

I'm wondering if I upgrade though, does this translate into noticeably smoother performance in Auria? Anyone upgraded and notice a difference?

Ericd921
Expert

Re: Anyone gone 3gen iPad to 4gen iPad due to Auria?

Post by Ericd921 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:35 pm

I used to run Auria on an iPad 2 and it was pretty choppy. But I recently bought an iPad 4 specifically for Auria, and it's awesome. Smooth as butter and it performs like a dream! Now I use my iPad 2 to play through my music apps and record them into Auria on the iPad 4. I have no regrets in purchasing the iPad 4 :)
Eric

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:01 am

oh yes, ipad 2/3 to ipad 4 is a great investment, a real difference.

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:37 am

Yes, I made the 3-to-4 jump mostly for Auria. Made a noticeable difference in my sessions.

Regards,
phil.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:31 am

it has more than twice the power.And yes,Auria was one reason for me to upgrade.I remember one song on my ipad 2 (which has the same processor,just less ram than an ipad 3) sucking 51% cpu and 20% on the ipad 4.

benchmarks reflect my experiences as well.

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-co ... al-1108743
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:38 am

Thanks everyone, very helpful!

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:12 am

The thread seems over but just to chime in, yes, I've made this exact switch due to processor power, etc, like the others said. In fact, I keep my iPad 3 around for fun and use the 4 for nothing but Auria.

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:20 am

That's good to hear that the difference is noticable in Auria. I don't think I need two iPads, but nice to know that updating seems to be worth it.

Trueyorky
Expert

Post by Trueyorky » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:38 pm

I went from 1 to 3 solely because of Auria. I then added iPad 4 but I find Auria runs well on both iPad 3 & 4.

donovanjaymz
Expert

Post by donovanjaymz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:51 pm

As soon as iPad 5 is out, I'm buying it. With the new A7x chip, I can imagine a dozen juicy virtual synths, a sequencer, and Auria all working in perfect synchronicity...or am I dreaming? Maybe iPad 6. :-)

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:39 am

I'll probably go for a newer model later this year. However, the new lightning connector seems to bring a lot of cash to Apple as all alternatives of adaptor upgrades are a bit on the expensive side. E.g. the 30pin-cord-Lightning cost US$50 in my region. And the CC-30p that I already have did cost US$35-37. Not that I can't afford it, but it kind of delays my upgrades as I have something today that does work good enough: Ipad3 + Apogee One + Yamaha 30pin midi interface.
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Ok, you all convinced me, got the iPad4 today. Definitely a noticeable difference in how smooth the Edit screen is, as well as just feeling a little bit snappier overall. The lightening connector is a good thing for me, my iPad3 was the only thing in the house that didn't use it at this point.

empolo

Post by empolo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:21 pm

donovanjaymz wrote:As soon as iPad 5 is out, I'm buying it. With the new A7x chip, I can imagine a dozen juicy virtual synths, a sequencer, and Auria all working in perfect synchronicity...or am I dreaming? Maybe iPad 6. :-)
My exact thinking though I'm also impressed that the 4 dramatically improves Auria's performance and expect that the price on 4 will drop when the 5 is released, so that may be a consideration for me.

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:58 pm

Two weeks ago i sold my iPad2 so that i could buy an iPad4, and the difference in performance is immediately apparent.

I did this not just because of auria, but i couldnt do thinks like: trigger animoog with an external midi device without latency and crashes, run audiobus with ANYTHING without horrible latency, use Genome Midi Sequencer with any reliability, etc etc etc

I DID, however, have enough power with just the iPad 2 to get six tracks recording simultantiously at 96K, while a stereo file plays back, in Auria. That is, of course until after about 2 minutes in, where the buffer would bunch up and all the audio went to crap...still, i did track a few songs worth of full drums at both 96k and 44.1k, and im using those on the upcoming EP.

Just came to say, if you are using an iPad2, you will be held back in all form and fashion, i had just enough power to show me what was possible, but not enough to pull it off. This of course was with an iPad that was almost completely filled to it's 32gb capacity, however i will just underline, the leap between processor performance betwen iPad2 and 4 is quite vast.

cheers

rayetheridge
Expert

Post by rayetheridge » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:55 pm

iPad 2/3 vs iPad 4:

iPad 3 uses the same A5 processor as the iPad 2, except the iPad 3 has the extra GPU advantage which is why its called the A5X. The "X" refers the the GPU and not specifically the CPU. Auria craves CPU much more than GPU so its makes since that the iPad 2 and 3 have the same benchmark with the iPad 3 maybe having a slight lead. The extra power in the iPad 3 is there to accommodate the power it needs to run the the resolution ( 3x the resolution) needed to render it. That extra 512gb RAM in the iPad 3 is specifically quantized for the extra resolution so there is only a slight performance boost over the iPad 2 in CPU excessive host like Auria.

The NEW iPad (iPad 4, 4th generation) has a A6X which is Apples first creditable microprocessor since their portable devices. All other processors were by "ARM". The A6X is the A5X copied design but smaller and clocked higher. Plus, the A6X has a 2 times more the GPU power but thats only their to accommodate the retina resolution. The A6 is still faster architecture than the A5 though and that explains the benefits it has over the previous iPads using Auria. Dont be surprised if the Auria developers get a go to be able the "clock" the A5(X) higher. The A5 is kinda underclocked as it is to save on battery life.

Keep in mind that only users who use the Auria App will see a advantage over the iPad 4 and the new iPad 5 about to be released simply because Auria actually uses the full potential of the CPU resources. Most daily user apps do not use near enough CPU power to see any advantage between the previous iPads and the newer generations. The iPad 3 is still a very nice and powerful tablet for games and art production because its still pack more than enough punch for developers needs. Developers still have not used the A5's full potential in games.

The iPad 4 and 5 have the extra GPU power to compete in the gaming and music industry considering the PS4 and XBOX ONE will be out soon. iPad 5 will definitely benefit the Auria DAW in both GUI and plugin performance.