worth it to buy GarageBand to use Apple loops in Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

gjcyrus
Expert

worth it to buy GarageBand to use Apple loops in Auria?

Post by gjcyrus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:09 am

Hello all, I'm considering buying GarageBand ONLY to be able to cut and save loops from songs that I can later bring into Auria to have BPM tempo sync up. Does this make sense or is there an easier way to organize and save any loops I make either from drum apps or from sampled songs that I later want to use in auria without having to mess with bpm every single time.

Thanks in advance

Erik dP
Expert

Re: worth it to buy GarageBand to use Apple loops in Auria?

Post by Erik dP » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:17 am

I use GB for some of the instruments. There is however no audio copy from GB. I go through Itunes. A bit cumbersome. I also use Music Studio, but I prefere the sound of GBs pianos, strings and guitars. I have been thinking of trying Sampletank.
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:23 am

Sampletank is REALLY good. I've used it on desktops and the iOS app is just as good.

Funy the OP asked this because Garageband although free on macs, it's one of the BEST daws I ever used and the instruments and sounds quality are so nice. Everything sounds crisp and clear. Is best with a midi controller however.

With that being said, iOS gb is no where near the desktop app, but it does have those high quality sounds. Like the strings, and guitars, etc. Infact I predict app,e will release smart brass soon. Or smart horns (since "smart brass" sounds like "smart ass" they might not name it that lol)

So anyways, I'm thinking of purchasing sampletank but I'm not sure yet. I'm using some good samples for with nano studio but nanostudio doesn't use any time stretching algorithms like sample tank does...

Either way u should check out the free version, but the full version is half priced right now

gjcyrus
Expert

Post by gjcyrus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I work with a lot of loops which can easily become over 20 to 30 if not more at times. the fact that auria will read apple loops and rex made me think that it might help my workflow by being able to dump a lot of my audiobus demo loops into garageband to save the bpm info would help when mixing ideas. but if i have to use itunes just to get those loops, thats a deal killer.

i worked with 16 bit for years on a roland vs 880 and after 24 bit, theres no going back to any 16 bit daw unless absolutely necessary.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:39 pm

QbAnYtO wrote:Sampletank is REALLY good. I've used it on desktops and the iOS app is just as good.
some of the reviews of the full app where quite scathing of the sample quality of the sounds, put me off buying it. Interesting to hear some positive feedback from someone. I wonder what people are referring to as the poor quality samples?

I guess I could try the free one, but I assume that the free one would not be as good as the pro version and the pro one sounded suspect.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:18 pm

I have Sampletank as well and really like it,been waiting for it to be Audiobus compatible and at last it is :mrgreen:
Also have it on desktop , the drum sounds and piano sounds suffer a bit (still pretty good)on iOS but the others are still good ,strings ,pads ,even sax and flutes are good

The igrand free has a good piano on if you need it but in the free version you only get 3/4 octaves or something like that but it gives you a good idea what you can do with it hopefully that will be Audiobus compatible soon as well 8) 8)

Overall reckon Sampletank & Co sound a bit more natural then GB ( to me that is) 8)

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:43 pm

i have the miroslav symphonik package on my mac. i wanted to use sample tank as my acoustics/symphony sounds and nano studio as my sequencer/synth sounds/production daw and THEN AURIA as my mixing daw