Assembly for Auria's effects?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

instinctive
Expert

Assembly for Auria's effects?

Post by instinctive » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:05 pm

Please don't take any offense when I'm saying that I'm wondering why Auria's effects use quite a lot of CPU.

Yes, I know the quality is exceptional. BUT, my main composition tool (NanoStudio) also has effects that are not INCREDIBLY good, but quite fair (apart from the reverb).

In a typical NanoStudio production, I use around 15 channels, each with an average of 2 effects (Chorus, Flanger, Parametric EQ, Compressor, etc.), plus 2 send effects, plus 3 effects on the master.

That's a total of 35 effects. Add to that around 10 (TEN) virtual analog synths with several oscillators each, plus a few drum sample players.

All in all, this uses around 35% CPU on an iPad 2.

I know that NanoStudio's effects and synth engines are coded almost purely in ARM assembly.

If that's not already the case in Auria, I guess a significant boost in performance could be achieved by this. Well, at least convert the inner loops into assembly :-)

QbAnYtO
Expert

Re: Assembly for Auria's effects?

Post by QbAnYtO » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:21 pm

nanostudio is my main tool as well and i gotta say I'm always surprised at the minimal cpu being used despite many synths and tracks being used. nano's effects and filters are VERY impressive i must say.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:44 am

Auria's engine is highly optimized, and already takes heavy advantage of ARM assembler where it makes sense. It's important to keep in mind that Auria's plug-ins are in a different league than effects in other iOS DAWs. Sonic quality is highly subjective, so I'm certainly not suggesting you can't get great results with Nano Studio, but Auria uses plug-ins made by well known plugin developers, and in most cases the plugins in Auria are exactly the same as their PC/Mac counterparts. No corners were cut to make them work on an iPad in terms of sonic quality.

Rim

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:06 am

Thanks for the reply Rim, and as I said, no offense intended.

It's probably true that for the last 10% of improvement, you need 200% more effort (or CPU time) -- like with many other things in life :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:48 am

Indeed!

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:34 am

i never had problems with the internal plugins on an ipad 2.I Could use the channelstrip in nearly every track,delays,chorus,reverbs etc.and i never run out of power in a 16 Track song.Only exception was the Convo reverb.
But things changing if you use the Fabfilter plugins,especially Saturn,Timeless,Volcano.Maybe more but thats the ones i own (besides Microfilter and Pro EQ but they don't take much power).

I have an ipad 4 now and it's -of course- more enjoyable.A project that took a little over 50% takes 20% now.I'm able to use all the hungry fabbys at once altogether with countless other plugins,be it Convo reverb,the psp plugs or multiple instances of pro eq.

BUT in 1-2 Situations i was able to knock out the ipad 4 as well ;) Doesn't matter,freezed 1-2 tracks and went on with my work.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX