which plugin has stereo spread?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

QbAnYtO
Expert

which plugin has stereo spread?

Post by QbAnYtO » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:39 pm

i love this effect and was wondering which is the plugin that has it?

dinomedanhodzic
Expert

Re: which plugin has stereo spread?

Post by dinomedanhodzic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:33 am

I use the stereo delay for making mono sources spread out in stereo.
Try this:
Just pan the dry signal left and the wet signal right.
Then turn down the saturation
Now set the time ms to 0010.1

I attached a picture with the settings
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (317.01 KiB) Viewed 7623 times

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:27 am

Of the built-in effects, both the Stereo Delay and Stereo Chorus will work. Optionally, Timeless2 also has some great delay settings that expand the stereo spread of a signal.

Cheers,

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:14 pm

awesome, thanks. has anyone used this on their songs? i wonder how well auria does this :p

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:28 pm

QbAnYtO wrote:awesome, thanks. has anyone used this on their songs? i wonder how well auria does this :p
I've been re-mixing my NanoStudio (and some Reason) projects with Auria, and I have to say that you can get some really beautiful mixes. Mixes with plenty of space (often just using EQ & Panning), to which you can then give a production sheen to create a space and place your sounds within it. Movement within the space supplies aural placements and pathways for the listener.

For example, I just love using the PSP StereoChorus with a 0.8 ms delay, Spread: full+, PhaseVar: 10, Freq: 0.5, Depth: 7, dry: 5, Wet: 5. These settings give a moving (auto-panned) flanged chorus that works superbly for cymbal splashes.

The in-app plugins essentially ice the cake, with greater applications, features, controls and options etc, but don't be fooled... the built-in set of tools, the ChannelStrip & MasterStrip, StereoDelay, StereoChorus and especially the Convolution Reverb can easily yield spacious, dynamic mixes.

All I need to do now is to get the damn mixes up on SoundCloud!! :oops:

Actually, you can listen to a Spoken Word & Sound project I did that has a lot of space to it. It is a poetry reading (six short poems) with a soundscape, music and effects. This link will take you to my website and then, just under the picture of the book, there is a small MP3 player. Click this and you'll hear the track (5:33).

http://simonclivehughes.com/Simon_C._Hu ... s_New.html

The vocals were recorded dry into Reason (I don't have a mic interface for the iPad), but then transferred to Auria. Alchemy, Addictive Synth and Magellan were used for musical and nature sounds. All the remaining sounds were royalty free, found on the web. Everything else... Auria. :D

Some plugins were used, such as Pro-DS, Pro-Q and Timeless2.

Ciao,

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 pm

damn. such nice clarity. sounds a little bit like jack nicholson :p

see i'll be using auria for hiphop/dance/house music, it;ll include vocals obviously. all music (most) will be coming from nano studio. i'll have to copy n paste everything over. do you recommend i copy and paste WITH filters and effects (eq and comp.) or do i do it all in aruia? also do you recommend i mix down a stereo mix into aura and THEN adding vocals, or paste over all the tracks ALONG with the vocals and mix down all together for mastering?

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:45 am

QbAnYtO wrote:damn. such nice clarity. sounds a little bit like jack nicholson :p
Thanks!
QbAnYtO wrote:do you recommend i copy and paste WITH filters and effects (eq and comp.) or do i do it all in auria?
Personally, unless a filter or effect is an integral part of the sound, I've been trying to zero things out and do everything in Auria. So, in NS, I Mixdown to Mixer Channels and then use NanoSync/iFunBox to transfer the files to Auria. Then I typically re-create the NS sound within Auria and see where that takes me. The difference in the quality of the effects really is night and day from NS, so sonic enhancement is far more effective.
QbAnYtO wrote:also do you recommend i mix down a stereo mix into auria and THEN adding vocals, or paste over all the tracks ALONG with the vocals and mix down all together for mastering?
Obviously I do the latter. I want total control over all of the elements of my mix. Without a doubt, there would be something I wanted/needed to change in that stereo mix track! Always use the most capable tool... Auria gives so much to work with, from the effects to the sub busses and so on.

I prefer to be able to see the arrangement (in the Edit screen) to be able to move regions around to create and utilize patterns/structures. Having all of the individual tracks and regions available means you aren't painted into a corner somehow. (Once we can toggle mute on/off for regions, I'll be a happy camper.)

Cheers,

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:15 am

Ok I see. I wonder if there's a difference between adding vocals before/after mix down. Some people say is better to have you vocals "sit" in with the tracks and then export to stereo. Some people don't think there's a difference whether adding vocals before or after the stereo mix. If there isn't a difference in quality, it would be more optimal performance wise for auria to add vocals after mixing down to stereo so you're dealing with less tracks. Less CPU being used

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:28 am

Yes, the "delay one of the stereo channels ever so slightly" technique is what I've used to death on both vocals and pads. Very CPU efficient and dramatic effect. Though on pads, I often use "regular" x-delay setups (say, 1/8 dotted) with lots of wet. It also extends the release of the pad, while costing hardly any additional CPU (which actually increasing the Release time on the synth would).

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:52 am

QbAnYtO wrote:Ok I see. I wonder if there's a difference between adding vocals before/after mix down. Some people say is better to have you vocals "sit" in with the tracks and then export to stereo. Some people don't think there's a difference whether adding vocals before or after the stereo mix. If there isn't a difference in quality, it would be more optimal performance wise for auria to add vocals after mixing down to stereo so you're dealing with less tracks. Less CPU being used
Maybe just to clarify my earlier thoughts on this, to me, the vocals are such an integral part of the music, in most cases the most important element, that I cannot conceive of trying to work on them separately as you suggest. The mix, as a whole, has to come together around the vocals. Potentially, you need to be able to EQ and spatially place (left-right via Pan and fore-back via reverb/delay reflection timing) all the elements within a mix to create a sound-spread in which to present a song so things don't interfere or clash sonically with others.

Although I have an iPad 4 with 128GB, I still run into high CPU with liberal use of things like the FabFilter plugins. The easiest way to deal with this is not by segmenting the mixing duties but to use the Freeze Track command on tracks as you work with them. Yes, it's a drag to have to wait for a track to be rendered (frozen), but it cuts the CPU usage drastically and it's no biggie to Unfreeze should a change be required.

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:41 pm

sch wrote:
QbAnYtO wrote:Ok I see. I wonder if there's a difference between adding vocals before/after mix down. Some people say is better to have you vocals "sit" in with the tracks and then export to stereo. Some people don't think there's a difference whether adding vocals before or after the stereo mix. If there isn't a difference in quality, it would be more optimal performance wise for auria to add vocals after mixing down to stereo so you're dealing with less tracks. Less CPU being used
Maybe just to clarify my earlier thoughts on this, to me, the vocals are such an integral part of the music, in most cases the most important element, that I cannot conceive of trying to work on them separately as you suggest. The mix, as a whole, has to come together around the vocals. Potentially, you need to be able to EQ and spatially place (left-right via Pan and fore-back via reverb/delay reflection timing) all the elements within a mix to create a sound-spread in which to present a song so things don't interfere or clash sonically with others.

Although I have an iPad 4 with 128GB, I still run into high CPU with liberal use of things like the FabFilter plugins. The easiest way to deal with this is not by segmenting the mixing duties but to use the Freeze Track command on tracks as you work with them. Yes, it's a drag to have to wait for a track to be rendered (frozen), but it cuts the CPU usage drastically and it's no biggie to Unfreeze should a change be required.

Thanks for the clarifications. Yes I agree the vocals are important :)
I have an ipad 2, but will get an ipad 3 (or possibly ipad4) for better performance.

Let me ask you, does auria look bad on the iPads retina display?
Also, on the iPads, how long does it take to freeze a track? Seconds I'm sure no?

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Is Auria an Image editor or a DAW? ;)

And concerning the freezing - you can simply calculate the freezing time by the following formula:

(Length of Track) x (CPU usage of that track in % / 100)

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:10 pm

QbAnYtO wrote:I have an ipad 2, but will get an ipad 3 (or possibly ipad4) for better performance.
I went from running Auria on an iPad 1 to the 4th gen. If Auria (or audio in general) is your prime purpose, I would go for the most recent device for the processor speed, and internal program RAM, but I'd highly recommend you max the storage RAM. I'm at 128 GB now and very glad of it... audio files pile up really fast!
QbAnYtO wrote:Let me ask you, does auria look bad on the iPads retina display?
While the graphics could certainly be better, they look just fine. Rim has commented that in implementing Retina, the CPU takes a massive hit... I'd rather have the performance thank you very much!
QbAnYtO wrote:Also, on the iPads, how long does it take to freeze a track? Seconds I'm sure no?
Freezing individual tracks isn't a hardship, it's not thinking about it as you go and then having a couple of dozen tracks that have to be frozen... that takes time! Freezing processor-rich tracks as you go should be a best practice for maximizing processor resources.

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:31 pm

sch wrote:
QbAnYtO wrote:I have an ipad 2, but will get an ipad 3 (or possibly ipad4) for better performance.
I went from running Auria on an iPad 1 to the 4th gen. If Auria (or audio in general) is your prime purpose, I would go for the most recent device for the processor speed, and internal program RAM, but I'd highly recommend you max the storage RAM. I'm at 128 GB now and very glad of it... audio files pile up really fast!
QbAnYtO wrote:Let me ask you, does auria look bad on the iPads retina display?
While the graphics could certainly be better, they look just fine. Rim has commented that in implementing Retina, the CPU takes a massive hit... I'd rather have the performance thank you very much!
QbAnYtO wrote:Also, on the iPads, how long does it take to freeze a track? Seconds I'm sure no?
Freezing individual tracks isn't a hardship, it's not thinking about it as you go and then having a couple of dozen tracks that have to be frozen... that takes time! Freezing processor-rich tracks as you go should be a best practice for maximizing processor resources.

Gotcha!

Yea as I sated in another post, the only reason I'm getting an ipad 3 64gb is too save some money and keep my ipad connected centered with my synthstation49. If I use a 30pin to lighting adaptor with my keyboard, it'll look ugly. I'm sure the ipad 3 if sufficient for my needs ;p