Brand new here, looking for direction please.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

KORBS

Brand new here, looking for direction please.

Post by KORBS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:06 pm

Hello everybody. I have been reading a lot of the posts on this board and this seems like an awesome community with a lot of support for a great application. I am a drummer who does a lot of work in a protools equipped studio. I know next to nothing about daws and engineering but am really looking to get myself going in those directions. I have a 16gb ipad 3 and have been running garage band for the last few months and really enjoying the ability to multitrack on the ipad. I recently bought the Alesis IOdock and right away was made aware of the limitations of garageband as a multitrack program. Song lengths at 110 bpm are limited to 3 minutes, which is fine for demo purposes etc but not really something that will help to record longer tunes and live sessions. So the limitations of garage band led me on a search for other daw/sequencer/multi track apps for ipad. As a result I wound up here.

So any advice? My near term goals are to use Auria along with the alesis iodock and a pair of rode nt1as set up as room mics for live sessions and set up in recorderman to mic my kit when I am alone. I recently sold my zoom q3hd to fund the alesis. The zoom is very cool but neither the video nor the audio is very good. I figured with auria and the iodock I could at least get better audio. Also the studio where I do most of my work is equipped with protools and it would be nice to be able to leave a session with tracks loaded into my ipad, allowing me the opportunity to mix and edit from home instead of waiting for the finished files to be sent to me. Long term goals would include acquiring a better interface with quality mic pres and more inputs to allow for a more conventional multi tracking set up. So am I delusional to think I can accomplish all of this with an ipad and auria? Thanks in advance for any help here.

Chris M
Expert

Re: Brand new here, looking for direction please.

Post by Chris M » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Yes, this is all possible in Auria. The Alesis Dock is compatible and you should have no trouble recording two inputs. If you're eventually interested in a higher-end interface, you can take a look at compatible ones here:

http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

In terms of compatibility with Pro Tools, you can use the AAF multitrack format to transfer projects back and forth between Auria and PT. Region placement, edits, and volume automation are all preserved, so you can work on the project on both platforms without losing progress.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

KORBS

Post by KORBS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:32 pm

Thanks a bunch Chris. I really appreciate the feedback. I will likely do a trial with the Alesis and see how things go and make a determination based on the quality of the recordings. The ipad and Auria will do nicely filling the void left from selling my zoom. Very excited to begin this process.

KORBS

Post by KORBS » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:49 pm

So how do most of you handle the storage aspect of running auria on such a memory deficient device like ipad? I again no very little regarding this subject so I apologize if this is a readily available answer. In my case I have a 16gb ipad 3. Any advice from the lessons you guys have learned would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:27 pm

Which is why I am getting an ipad 3 64gb lol. Only $600 too. There aren't too may differences between the 3&4 plus if I change my ipad from 30 pin to lighting, I will have have to buy a 30pin to lighting adapter resulting in an awkward connection with my synthstation 49

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:08 pm

Actually, there's a huge difference between the 3 and 4. The iPad 4 has more than twice the amount of CPU available, so it's a big difference for running plugins. There's not much difference between the 2 and 3 though.

Rim

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:24 pm

That was a typo. My bad haha. I MEANT 2-3 not 3-4. :lol:

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:29 pm

Then the rest of your post doesn't really make all that much sense... :?:

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:04 pm

purple. because clowns dont have tear drops in space for kicking a home run.

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:36 pm

Indeed.

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:08 pm

I need to smoke some of that stuff too!

KORBS

Post by KORBS » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Very interesting regarding the cpu upgrade form the 3 to 4. I have actually been considering getting an ipad3 64gb as my 16gb 3 is shared with my 3 yr old and memory and cpu will go fast. Should I be more patient and hold out for an ipad 4? Any ipad I get whether 3 or 4 will be dedicated as an auria machine. I appreciate all the feedback, thanks everybody.

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:56 pm

KORBS wrote:Very interesting regarding the cpu upgrade form the 3 to 4. I have actually been considering getting an ipad3 64gb as my 16gb 3 is shared with my 3 yr old and memory and cpu will go fast. Should I be more patient and hold out for an ipad 4? Any ipad I get whether 3 or 4 will be dedicated as an auria machine. I appreciate all the feedback, thanks everybody.
I had a IPad 3 64 gig which I gave to my wife to purchase the IPad 4 - the difference is night & day.
Last edited by fusionarts on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Time to resell the ipad 2....

AbrahamRodriquez

Post by AbrahamRodriquez » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:45 am

KORBS wrote:Hello everybody. I have been reading a lot of the posts on this board and this seems like an awesome community with a lot of support for a great application. I am a drummer who does a lot of work in a protools equipped studio. I know next to nothing about daws and engineering but am really looking to get myself going in those directions. I have a 16gb ipad 3 and have been running garage band for the last few months and really enjoying the ability to multitrack on the ipad. I recently bought the Alesis IOdock and right away was made aware of the limitations of garageband as a multitrack program. Song lengths at 110 bpm are limited to 3 minutes, which is fine for demo purposes etc but not really something that will help to record longer tunes and live sessions. So the limitations of garage band led me on a search for other daw/sequencer/multi track led lighting for ipad. As a result I wound up here.

So any advice? My near term goals are to use Auria along with the alesis iodock and a pair of rode nt1as set up as room mics for live sessions and set up in recorderman to mic my kit when I am alone. I recently sold my zoom q3hd to fund the alesis. The zoom is very cool but neither the video nor the audio is very good. I figured with auria and the iodock I could at least get better audio. Also the studio where I do most of my work is equipped with protools and it would be nice to be able to leave a session with tracks loaded into my ipad, allowing me the opportunity to mix and edit from home instead of waiting for the finished files to be sent to me. Long term goals would include acquiring a better interface with quality mic pres and more inputs to allow for a more conventional multi tracking set up. So am I delusional to think I can accomplish all of this with an ipad and auria? Thanks in advance for any help here.
hello friend were you able to get right solution..Just love your thought so I am very excited to hear outcome..