new comer here! have some questions!

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

QbAnYtO
Expert

new comer here! have some questions!

Post by QbAnYtO » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:11 pm

i'll get right to it :p

so im gonna use auria with an ipad 3 but i hear that after just using a couple of plugins, auria slows down and stuff.. is that true?

also how STABLE is it? i will be using no more than 15 tracks possibly.

how is the project creation? can i create zipped files? can i back up files to my mac? do they save as is (with effects and filters and etc etc)?

have you guys tried it with the blue snowball mic?

Erik dP
Expert

Re: new comer here! have some questions!

Post by Erik dP » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:50 am

Q1: so im gonna use auria with an ipad 3 but i hear that after just using a couple of plugins, auria slows down and stuff.. is that true?

A1: I've got an 16GB Ipad 3. It works fine. Some plugins are heavier for the CP than others. Using the same e.g. reverb on a bus for many channels will ease the CP. As long as you don't use any processing there is no significant load. You can freeze the track to ease the CP. Remove background app usage to avoid overload on heavier projects.

Q2: also how STABLE is it? i will be using no more than 15 tracks possibly.

A2: With no plugins - NO problems. But still you can use plugins as long as you check the cp load meter not to become too high.

Q3: how is the project creation? can i create zipped files? can i back up files to my mac? do they save as is (with effects and filters and etc etc)?

A3: Can't answer this as I've got a PC. I make backups on entire projects which includes a lot of wav-files. I have not loaded those back yet into the Ipad.

Q4: have you guys tried it with the blue snowball mic?

A4: Check Youtube. If it works with any Ipad app It should work with Auria. However snowball is as I remember a 16bit mic while Auria handles 24 bits. If you havn't bought it yet you could look for 24 bit options. Isn't Apogee Mic 24 bit?

I use the Apogee One. It has a built in mic with the option of phantom powering an external mic. It also have instrument input. Look for a used One. You'll need a USB-hub. The new two channel One will not need the hub.
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:11 pm

QbAnYtO wrote:can i back up files to my mac? do they save as is (with effects and filters and etc etc)?
The easiest way to backup or do any file transferring to-and-from the Mac is using iFunBox, which (through a USB sync), allows you to see the iPad's internal files. The Auria App stores all the project info into its internal 'Documents' folder. Each project has all the pertinent data in a "xxx.project" file package within this directory (essentially, it's a zipped file). All effects, filters, automations etc, are part of the 'project' file package, as are all snapshots taken during the creation process.

When you create a mixdown file, it is also stored in the 'Documents' folder (but not within the xxx.project file package).

The 'Documents' directory is also the place to drag your input files for Auria. For example, you have some samples to be used for a track... just drag the folder with the samples into the 'Documents' directory. Now, from within Auria, you can load a sample using the 'Import Audio' command. Or, do a mixdown to mixer channels in NanoStudio and then use NanoSync or iFunBox to browse the NS app for the files and copy them to your Mac, then you can copy them to Auria's 'Documents' folder to bring the mixer channel stems into tracks within Auria.

Back up your projects by simply selecting the files/folders and then copy them to your Mac using iFunBox's 'Copy to Mac' command/tool.
QbAnYtO wrote:i hear that after just using a couple of plugins, auria slows down and stuff.. is that true?
I was running 18 tracks on my iPad 1, and although I had to freeze all the tracks, I got it to work. I think you'll be pleased with what you can do. I'm now running on an iPad 4 128GB and with the more demanding plug-ins, such as Saturn, Timeless, Volcano, etc, the CPU gets pretty worked up, but again, by freezing tracks as you work on them, you have lots of power for the mix.

I've been amazed at the mixes I've gotten from this astonishing program. Having come from the Front Of House engineering world, dragging 32-track mixing desks and all the assorted paraphernalia about the countryside, having this capability, not to mention the sonic potential, is simply mind boggling.

As you'll probably notice, the level of support for this product is also astonishingly good.

Hope this helps!

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:21 pm

WoW thanks for the detailed responds and for answering all my questions :)

I always thought freezing tracks was frowned upon. It just renders the tracks no? Will it effect the quality? Say for mixing down (before mastering)? Can I mixdown my songs with freezing? Or should I unfreeze everything after achieving desired effects and before mixing down?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:27 pm

Freezing has absolutely no effect on quality. And yes, you can definitely mix down with frozen tracks.

Rim

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Aw man that's awesome!

One last things, will using my USB blue snowball mic give me trouble since auria uses 24bit and my mic is 16 I think?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:57 pm

Not at all. All of the bit rate conversion is handled automatically by iOS, so you won't notice a thing.

Rim

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:15 pm

Wow auria is badass haha I was gonna get cubasis instead because I like the look of their interface but Auria owns cubasis in functionality IMO..

And now time stretching coming soon too? Man I can't wait.

What about midi out? Will auria ever get this, I would like to use midi out to control sunrizer for example and then have it stream back to auria through audiobus.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Yep, full midi support is coming to Auria in a future update.

Rim

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 pm

really? awesome! midi out? to control control OTHER apps? what about midi clock sync?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:55 am

Yes, full midi support: in,out, sync

Rim

Dcramer
Expert

Post by Dcramer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:34 am

The Snowball works fine with Auria, the only trouble it ever gives me is keeping the camera connection adapter snugly in my iPad 2. You need to make sure the Snowball is lighting up.
Again I would add that the real benefit of Auria over the other iPad multitrack options is the sound. Auria has great sounding EQ compression and effects that gives you results that are closer to a desktop DAW.

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:53 pm

thats great. i never had issues with te snowball mic and the CCK for the ipad2 :p

so rim, do u have ANY IDEA as to when this midi support is coming? will it be in 1.08? this year? just wondering thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:07 pm

I don't have a timeline for midi yet. It's being worked on is all I can say at this point.

Rim

QbAnYtO
Expert

Post by QbAnYtO » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:16 pm

well thats good to know
thanks for answers!