Camera connection kit on iPhone?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

GreyMediumMild
Expert

Camera connection kit on iPhone?

Post by GreyMediumMild » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:11 am

I know this isn't auria specific, but I know that some tricky person here has done it! I'm trying to record from my iPhone into Auria on my iPad, and wanted to use my midi keyboard to control the synths on my iPhone. I tried the camera connection kit, but it seems to reject anything I connect to it. It won't power my akai lpk 25 or my korg micro key - has anybody had any success? Is jail breaking the only way?

Also, completely unrelated to my first question, does anybody know of good tutorials on how to use the fab filter plugins? I've seen a few online, but was wondering if you guys had any faves or ones you go back to for reference?

ChrisG
Expert

Re: Camera connection kit on iPhone?

Post by ChrisG » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:17 am

I had the same problem with my midi keyboard and iPhone/iPad. The solution was to use a powered USB hub between the camera kit and the keyboard. I just bought the smallest cheapest one I could find and it worked just fine.

FabFilter have some really great tutorials on their YouTube channel. You probably won't find any better elsewhere. :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:15 am

As far as I know, the camera connection kit only works on iPad.

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:47 am

Yea Rim might be right actually. I don't remember if I was testing iPhone or the iPad. And I kinda fried my midi keyboard accidentally changing the voltage on one of those cheap multi-voltage plugs, so I can't test it out at the moment. :oops:

GreyMediumMild
Expert

Post by GreyMediumMild » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks ChrisG! Cool, so yeah, I think Rim is right. I did more research on on the CCK last night and it does Not work with the iPhone. iPad only. the only way to get around it is to jailbreak it and use an app called camera connector...hmmm.

kwalker0210
Expert

Post by kwalker0210 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:55 am

I don't know if this is an option for you, but I recently picked up the Akai Synthstation 25 keyboard for $25 US. It works really well with iPod/iPhone, and works as a back up midi keyboard.

GreyMediumMild
Expert

Post by GreyMediumMild » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 pm

ah yeah, I looked into that, but sadly I bought another MIDI keyboard to use with my ipad. I'll try out the jailbreaking method and see how it ends up - according to some forums I've read, the camera connector app that lets you use the CCK is a bit finicky. We'll find out!

GreyMediumMild
Expert

Post by GreyMediumMild » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:41 am

Aw man, nope. Did not work. The CCK does not work with camera connector on a jail broken iPhone. Sad face, yo!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:14 pm

If you want to use your iPhone or iPod touch with midi then IK MultiMedia has the answer and here is the link to the product webpage.
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmidi/
The IconnectMidi box is also a very cool unit check it out here.
http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI1

Hope this helped.
Cheers
~~_/)~~~

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:32 pm

I have defintely used my CCK to hook my keys up to my iPhone prior to getting an iPhone 5. However, now with the iPhone 5 (and the adapter obviously in the mix with the new lightening port) it has stopped working. I've heard from various people that they had some luck with the new lightening to usb adapter, but I haven't shelled out the money for that yet since I just hook up to my iPad mostly. It was definitely working before though and powered my little M-Audio KeyStation.