Mute effects + Freeze/UnFreeze all crazy idea

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Shay
Expert

Mute effects + Freeze/UnFreeze all crazy idea

Post by Shay » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi,

While working with big projects, having many tracks and effects I am forced to freeze most of my tracks.
In order to work with each track I need to unfreeze, edit and then freeze again.
I would like to suggest a crazy but possible helpfull features.

1. A button to Disable/Enable all effects on playback.
It will disable all effects and conserve CPU.
Freezing a track is the only option where the effects will still work.

2. Unfreeze all tracks, which will unfreeze one by one.
If "disable all effects" is not active then you'll get a warning message that you risk high CPU with ok & cancel.

3 Freeze all tracks, which will freeze all tracks containing effects in their slots.
Since disable effects doesn't limit the freeze feature then all will work well.

It will shorten and ease the workflow a lot.

Thanks,
Shay.

ChrisG
Expert

Re: Mute effects + Freeze/UnFreeze all crazy idea

Post by ChrisG » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:55 pm

Definitely great ideas. Especially since iOS apparently messes with the audio system when the CPU gets overloaded. Meteor does this, a button to switch off/on all effects processing (bus, inserts, master). Ayway I can definitely see all the things you wrote being useful on projects with more then a few frozen tracks.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:24 am

Yeah, disabling all effects of a given track would be great. That way i wouldn't have to do it all manually while adding other effects to nothet track, while still arranging the whole thing. Which is the reason why i don't like to use the freeze feature as much.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:04 am

These are some good ideas!

Rim

GreyMediumMild
Expert

Post by GreyMediumMild » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:06 am

I think these are top notch ideas. It would help ease the workflow for sure!

At the moment I find that recording in auria with audiobus is not the most ideal. I've found it easier actually to record into other less CPU intensive daws and then copy/paste the result into auria. This requires several inspiration-killing steps that usually result in more process than creation, but although its time consuming, I find it less tedious than doing the audiobus setup in auria and then freezing and unfreezing tracks. With these mute FX/multi-freeze buttons, all would be just a little simpler. Actually a lot simpler. I would gladly sell my left pinky for this feature. Would this be too much of a request for the upcoming version of auria?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:42 am

Multi-freeze is a great idea in concept, but would take a very long time to use. As a worst-case example, A 48-track project could take 120 minutes to freeze. Not sure how useful that would be.

A "mute all effects" feature could simply bypass all the effects with a single step, but this would not free memory, only CPU. But this might still be useful for some cases.

An important thing to keep in mind here is that it's simply not practical in many cases to use Audiobus with Auria on a typical project. If you're going to use Auria with Audiobus, I recommend starting from a new project with no plugins. This is not Auria's fault, but the fact that Auria has plugins and mixing that push the iPad to the limit. Other iOS DAWs work better with Audiobus because they don't do what Auria does in terms of processing. If you want to level the playing field, just start Auria with a new project, don't add any effects, and use that template for recording using Audiobus. There's only so much processing power and memory in an iPad.

Also keep in mind that Audiobus integration in Auria 1.06 is brand new, and has a few things to iron out. 1.07 will work better, but nothing will solve CPU and memory issues except reducing the effects or tracks in your project, or using a faster/larger RAM iPad.

Rim

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:33 am

Hi Rim,

My suggestion for Multi-freeze is indeed not for every case, but for cases where you want to edit an advance project, with couple of tracks and plugins.
The freeze I suggests only freezes tracks with plugins and not every track.
After all we will have to do it anyway, only manually track by track.

You can always suggest a list of all the tracks (no. & name) and the user will choose which tracks to perform freeze/unfreeze by checking them.

The main problem it solves is high CPU which prevents playing.
In these cases you are "blind" and cannot check if you made the right edit actions and placed all the regions in their proper place.

The suggested workflow is:
1. Mute plugins.
2. Unfreeze all.
3. Do all the edit you need.
4. Finally on completion freeze tracks with plugins.

Thank you for the amazing Auria.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:07 am

That makes sense, thanks for the suggestion.

Rim

GreyMediumMild
Expert

Post by GreyMediumMild » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:45 am

Hey Rim, yeah, mute all FX seems like the winner here. I usually run into CPU problems when recording on a project with multiple tracks (8-12) and effects - RAM hasn't been an issue just yet. So, in theory, would disabling all FX allow me to record a bit easier on bigger projects with 8 or more tracks loaded with FX?
and yeah, I totally understand the limitations brought by the iPads hardware, I know it's not
Auria scheming to destroy my creativity. This is why I love Auria though, because its pushing the limits, but sadly, I also have to manage that workaround to have the best recording experience.
Thanks again!