Ram issues

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Bootsy

Ram issues

Post by Bootsy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi everyone! Complete newbie to the forum here, I'm having ram issues with my ipad 2 and auria. I've closed all apps, re booted my ipad, I start up auria open a new project ( 44 kHz, 4 tracks, no effects, nothing record enabled) and I'm at 190 mb or more ram usage with nothing going on. CPU usage is at maybe 5%. I've turned off wifi and that doesn't seem to make any difference. Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Ram issues

Post by Rim » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:53 pm

190MB free RAM is good for an iPad 2. When do you run into problems?

Rim

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Hello I am running iPad 2 16gb 5.1.1 os in jail my startup with same project you
describe is 5 %cpu 243 mg ram. I try to keep 3 gigs of memory free when I start
and the only problems I encounter are when I don't take the time to freeze bounce etc
Also if ram is running low closing Auria itself occasionally seems to always free some.
Auria is awesome I still can't hardly believe it can do what it does!
Good luck and good sounds!
jp

Bootsy

Post by Bootsy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:26 pm

Ok I guess I was confused. I didn't realize that was free ram! So I just armed 3tracks put classic verb in the aux bus and started recording. Free ram was 176 mb. Made it about 44seconds before I got the disk overload warning. I've tried upping the buffer but it stills seems to overload. Thanks for the response.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:46 pm

@Bootsy: yep, that's free RAM. The disk overload message is different. This happens sometimes when your iPad's disk is near empty (~ 1GB free). Recording at 44.1 sample rates also help.

Rim

Bootsy

Post by Bootsy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Ok thanks, I have 2gig free right now. I set buffer size to 512 and recorded 3tracks @ 44.1. This time it made it 2.24. Before the disk overload. I notice the disk runs at 0% and then every now and again spikes well over 50%.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:45 pm

That's pretty unusual. Is your iPad Jailbroken? Did you also try rebooting and closing all background apps? What's your iOS version?

Rim

Bootsy

Post by Bootsy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:53 pm

Not jail broken. I have re booted and closed all apps, and I'm running 6.0.1.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:47 am

Is it possible that an iCloud backup was running at the same time? It's normal to see the disk meter sit near zero, then spike to 50 or 60%, but it shouldn't ever get beyond that. You should easily be able to get hours worth of recording at 44.1 with up to 24 tracks at once. Can you try freeing up some more space to see if that makes a difference?

Rim

Bootsy

Post by Bootsy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:15 am

I don't use iCloud. I really should clean out some space on this anyways, so I will give that a try. Or maybe just get the ipad4 128 gig that would probably solve my issues :D thanks so much for all your help Rim.

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:01 am

Bootsy wrote:Hi everyone! Complete newbie to the forum here, I'm having ram issues with my ipad 2 and auria. I've closed all apps, re booted my ipad, I start up auria open a new project ( 44 kHz, 4 tracks, no effects, nothing record enabled) and I'm at 190 mb or more ram usage with nothing going on. CPU usage is at maybe 5%. I've turned off wifi and that doesn't seem to make any difference. Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I'm having the same issues. How much RAM is in the iPad 2/64 G anyway?

I'm thinking my iPad doesn't have enough RAM for the project I'm doing. Too many crashes.
Auria is great software. But I look at my RAM display and I'm seeing 70, 30, & 9 MEGABYTES?
That compares to the 1990's RAM counts I had in PC's.

Megabytes?

And it looks like I'll have to move this project to a PC. I thought Auria & iPad could do it all.
This is the first project where iPad has presented me with serious problems. And they are all RAM related.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:10 am

An iPad 2 has 512MB or RAM, and an iPad 3 and 4 have 1GB of RAM.

If you're getting memory warning messages while using Auria, the most common causes are not Auria itself, but other apps running in the background. I recommend double-tapping on your home button, and closing all the apps you see there (including apps like Safari and Settings).

If you're still getting memory warnings, this can also be caused by using too many memory-hungry plugins at once in your project. I recommend freezing tracks to conserve RAM and CPU.

Rim

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:52 am

Rim wrote:An iPad 2/3 has 512MB or RAM, and an iPad 4 has 1GB of RAM.

If you're getting memory warning messages while using Auria, the most common causes are not Auria itself, but other apps running in the background. I recommend double-tapping on your home button, and closing all the apps you see there (including apps like Safari and Settings).

If you're still getting memory warnings, this can also be caused by using too many memory-hungry plugins at once in your project. I recommend freezing tracks to conserve RAM and CPU.

Rim
I'm freezing tracks and still get RAM messages & shut downs.
I'm recording .wav @ 48 k. Maybe I need to do MP3 at 48K.

512 meg is nothing with audio.

Auria is great software. But the hardware is just inadequate.
I'm not jail-broken BTW.

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:58 pm

FWIW I've been getting RAM low messages on my iPad 4 recently too. I always close all apps and flush the memory before I start, and even with the back up wavs Auria saves my projects are rarely more than 300MB or so. Seems to happen more if I've been using Audiobus, but I can't confirm that 100%.

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Rim wrote:An iPad 2/3 has 512MB or RAM, and an iPad 4 has 1GB of RAM.

Rim
I'm sure you meant to say:

iPad 2 has 512MB, the iPad 3 has 1GB, and the iPad 4 has 1GB as well of RAM.
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro