How do i give the tracks/samples names?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Geronimo
Expert

How do i give the tracks/samples names?

Post by Geronimo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:46 pm

Or how can i rename the loaded samples?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: How do i give the tracks/samples names?

Post by Rim » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:12 pm

You can rename your tracks by double tapping on them in the mixer (at the bottom of each track). You can't currently rename regions, though. These are named by the actual file name.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Rim wrote:You can rename your tracks by double tapping on them in the mixer (at the bottom of each track). You can't currently rename regions, though. These are named by the actual file name.

Rim
Thank you. I've just noticed that the duplicating function makes mistakes sometimes. For example, when i'm duplicating 4 connected samples, it duplicates them like this: Blank, Sample, Sample, Sample, Blank, Sample.

Another thing i've noticed, is, when i'm selecting multiple regions to get normalized, it won't work when i mix many small and a large one. It worked after i deselected the long sample.

Plus, i think it would be really helpful if the lasso feature would automatically select the highlighted regions. I find it unnecessary to select them manually all the time, because what else am i going to do, after i've used the lasso? Except for the occasional deleting of control points. But that could be done with the regions selected, too.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks, the duplicate bug is already on the list. I'm not sure about the normalize issue you're having. Are you sure these aren't duplicates you're selecting to get normalized? This could cause issues sometimes, because all the process functions (like normalize) are destructive and work on the file itself. If you duplicate a region, both copies are the same file.

As far as highlight, there are many reasons why you'd want to highlight something: cut, separate, copy, and many others. Currently, if you want to lasso-select some regions, you just need an extra step: the "Select Highlighted Regions" command in the menu.

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:45 pm

How about something like a triple touch to enable a lasso tool that doesn't require any extra steps? Double tap for your regular region tool, and triple for automatic selection. Or maybe a popup if implemented right..

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Rim wrote:Thanks, the duplicate bug is already on the list. I'm not sure about the normalize issue you're having. Are you sure these aren't duplicates you're selecting to get normalized? This could cause issues sometimes, because all the process functions (like normalize) are destructive and work on the file itself. If you duplicate a region, both copies are the same file.
I wanted to normalize everything before i started to duplicate.
As far as highlight, there are many reasons why you'd want to highlight something: cut, separate, copy, and many others. Currently, if you want to lasso-select some regions, you just need an extra step: the "Select Highlighted Regions" command in the menu.

Rim
Yeah, but couldn't all that be done while the regions are selected, too? It just feels unnatural when i'm using the lasso and there's nothing actually selected.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:53 pm

ChrisG wrote:How about something like a triple touch to enable a lasso tool that doesn't require any extra steps? Double tap for your regular region tool, and triple for automatic selection. Or maybe a popup if implemented right..
One step further to an actual intuitive touchscreen DAW.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:19 pm

I'll experiment a bit with triple touch. That might actually work...

In Auria, selecting a region and highlighting do different things. For example, the copy function will copy the entire region if the region is selected, but will only copy a section of the region if it's highlighted. So you really need the ability to do both things independently.

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:55 pm

I think triple tap/touch is the upper limit for what feels "natural". So triple tap definitely will work as a "gesture", question is how to best utilize it without wasting a better usage for it etc. Damn my English is bad today but I hope I make some sense lol.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:58 am

Rim wrote:I'll experiment a bit with triple touch. That might actually work...

In Auria, selecting a region and highlighting do different things. For example, the copy function will copy the entire region if the region is selected, but will only copy a section of the region if it's highlighted. So you really need the ability to do both things independently.

Rim
I see, that explains it a bit better. My point is, it's slowing down the workflow to open up a menu to select a feature that's so important when you're working with loops. In electronic music you have to move samples all the time (which will surely change once midi is there), so some kind of shortcuts to the most used features, like copy, cut, paste, etc. would be really useful for some of us.

What about the idea of implementing them inside of a region, as a feature that appears just when you have a region selected and fades out once you've left it? Like the little scissor inside of the "lasso". That could actually be a copy, cut or paste button.

Floating contextual menus that just appear when you might need them would be a great addition to the whole concept of a touchscreen DAW. It's intuitive and would use the limited space even more efficiently.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:27 am

I will be implementing something similar in an upcoming update.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Excellent news.

It must be hard sometimes to listen to all these different suggestions all the time. Other developers just don't do this. They create a product and either you like it or you don't, except for the bugs. Imagine someone would suggest things to be implemented in Cubasis? It would never happen, regardless of how useful it would be.

And that's one of the reasons why i stick with Auria. I even cancelled my plans on buying a Notebook, because once Auria has it's full MIDI support it would be obsolete again.

Big up you, and everyone involved!