Retune question

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Retune question

Post by Geronimo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:27 pm

How do i get an absolute clean pitch shift with it? Even when i'm turning everything off in there it's still altering the source sound. But i'm looking for just a simple pitch shift, woth nothing else going on.

Plus, whenever i'm selecting a preset and am turning everything off again, the sound get's altered in different ways depending on the preset. How can that be?

I would be really thankful for any help, because i really need it.

Chris M
Expert

Re: Retune question

Post by Chris M » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Hello,

For a pitch shift, mute the Dry signal and unmute the Wet signal. Then, turn the 'Shift' knob to the desired amount. Press the 'Q' button next to it if you'd like to restrict it to discrete half-steps.

As per the presets, each preset will sound a bit different, so changing them will invariably alter the sound in different ways. Please let me know if you are still having trouble.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:33 am

Chris M wrote:Hello,

For a pitch shift, mute the Dry signal and unmute the Wet signal. Then, turn the 'Shift' knob to the desired amount. Press the 'Q' button next to it if you'd like to restrict it to discrete half-steps.

As per the presets, each preset will sound a bit different, so changing them will invariably alter the sound in different ways. Please let me know if you are still having trouble.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs
Oh, i know all that. I meant it alters the sound in different ways even when i've turned everything to "clean" again. For example, when i choose Formant Shift 1 and turn everything "off" like it is in the "clean" setting, it doesn't sound like the "clean" setting. I've been copying the settings perfectly, and there's still something happening. Same with Formant Shit 2. After resetting everything manually it still sounds different to Formant Shift 1 and the "clean" setting. Every resetted preset sounds different from each other. Also, the "clean" setting does already alter the source sound in some ways that i don't understand. It sounds a bit like there's some "humanizing" going on, althoug it's set to 0% all the time.

I just want a completely clean pitch shift without all these additional effects going on.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:10 am

I stand corrected, the clean preset setting does sound clean, but the pitch shifting isn't just pitching the sound, there must be something else going on. When i'm pitching the exact same sound in a simple pitch shifter, it doesn't breath as much as it does with Retune.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:12 am

Are you using ReTune with vocals, or with some other instrument? It will only work well with a single vocal or other simple monophonic instruments.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:21 am

Rim wrote:Are you using ReTune with vocals, or with some other instrument? It will only work well with a single vocal or other simple monophonic instruments.

Rim
It's a snare. And it's the only pitch shifter that i've got in Auria at the moment :D

Don't misunderstand me, i'm not complaining or anything, i'm just curious how to get the most out of Auria.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:59 am

OK, it definitely won't work with a snare. The pitch shifter inside ReTune will only work on vocals or similar sounding instruments.

Rim