What did you expect?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Re: What did you expect?

Post by Geronimo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:19 am

I personally think it's great that we all can be part of a work-in-progress DAW. That way we, the users, can help building a program that really works the way we want it to do, within the rules of the game of course.

I think it will, at least, need another half year of work and support to get where we all want it to be. But that's not going to happen when we're not as constructive as we can be. There are still some issues that really prevent me from using Auria fully, but that's just part of it right now. If i wouldn't believe that Auria will one day be the best iOS DAW available, i would've switched it long ago.

Let's be thankful that the whole thing is even happening at all. Who would've thought that the iPad is capable of being such a magnificent tool for our audio works?

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Sun May 19, 2013 8:02 am

I am emphatically grateful when I think about the $200,000 it would have cost me to stock my studio with the same quality and quantity of gear back in the late '70s/early '80s that lives inside my iPad today. It staggers the mind when you think about it that way (if you're old enough to have that perspective).

As far as expectations go... I generally expect forums for any product or brand to be filled with mostly the people having problems. I don't believe that one can make a fair assessment of a product's quality based solely on it's forum's posts. Auria is seriously the most stable DAW I've ever used, and I've used everything from Pro Tools to Garage Band to Sonar to nearly everything else.

I have an iPad 4th generation, with the latest OS, Audiobus, about a gazillion music, painting, graphic design, and writing apps, yet the only real problems I've had have been with the Tabletop app, and Retronyms has been fixing those, So I feel really terrible for anyone with frustrating issues, but just try to remember, we had struggles and stumbling blocks aplenty back in the pre-digital days too, and they were a lot harder (and often waaaaay more expensive) to overcome.

Good luck to you all and hang in there!
Last edited by ZenLizard on Tue May 28, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Can you hum a few bars? —

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Sun May 19, 2013 8:42 pm

A lot of the stuff available in auria today simply wasn't possible in the late 70s/early 80s - at any price! Modern magic.

BlackBox
Expert

Post by BlackBox » Sun May 26, 2013 9:17 pm

I got Auria before even having DAW and now have a couple and still use Auria everyday I am working on music! Seriously anyone that has a problem with Auria must not have gone through some trying times to record for themselves. I started back in the mid 90's as a tween hacking on my guitar into a karaoke duel deck flipping tapes back and forth with an eq deck between them to multi track and mix!.......it sure beats the first Boss digital recorders that used Zip discs too! M have the times changed and Auria has come for the better hands down!

brooks501
Expert

Post by brooks501 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:57 am

@ZenLizard Totally agree with you, as some one who started as a tape op in late 80's editing on 2" 24trk tape machines and using SSL and Neve desks then moved onto the early versions of Protools, Auria is great to use and stable, we allways had sessions being stopped by hardware that stopped working, we are all very lucky to have all this power in our hands and at the fraction of the cost, I'm still learning and I've been doing this 30yrs.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon May 27, 2013 10:22 am

:?:
Last edited by Anthony Alves on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jens

Post by Jens » Tue May 28, 2013 9:58 am

Anthony Alves wrote: Seems the other Daw had an update today and it seems they are going for the midi side of things in hopes that will define it from Auria cause they can't touch her mixing/mastering and editing power. And when Auria introduces her midi than they will lose that advantage. IMO Midi or not Auria is simply the best Daw of any platform period.

Is that a war, or what?

You insinuate that the developer of this "other DAW" (whichever you mean) bases his development on how to best compete with AURIA... did you talk to this other developer in order justify such an accusation? Or is it merely wild speculation on your part?

Your attitude stinks, imo, to be frank.

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Tue May 28, 2013 11:48 am

Jens wrote:
Anthony Alves wrote: Seems the other Daw had an update today and it seems they are going for the midi side of things in hopes that will define it from Auria cause they can't touch her mixing/mastering and editing power. And when Auria introduces her midi than they will lose that advantage. IMO Midi or not Auria is simply the best Daw of any platform period.

Is that a war, or what?

You insinuate that the developer of this "other DAW" (whichever you mean) bases his development on how to best compete with AURIA... did you talk to this other developer in order justify such an accusation? Or is it merely wild speculation on your part?

Your attitude stinks, imo, to be frank.
Oh come on now. Call it wild speculation or an educated guess. This much I can say with confidence — a significant number of developers do pay attention to what the competition is up to, and make development choices based on that and other factors. They would be morons not to. I think his attitude was very positive — he is obviously having great success with Auria, which makes him a happy and satisfied customer. It seems like you are somehow offended by that (wild speculation on my part).

TUKK68

Post by TUKK68 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Simplicity. That is what I expected. Nothing more. Nothing less. It's about getting back to basics, where one must THINK about the limitations of the equipment being used and the overall process of music production. I LIKE the fact that there are only a certain number of plugins I can use simultaneously before reaching the critical point of CPU overload. It keeps me grounded. Reminding me that more is not always better. With a standard DAW (in this case Logic) I found myself limitless in the number of effects I could use, greatly REDUCING the QUALITY of the production by over-saturating my tracks. Ultimately the music suffered because I FAILED to think about capturing a true PERFORMANCE and instead focused on FIXING it in POST.

I also found that I was reliant on MIDI. My mind set was "not to worry." I could always adjust a bad MIDI note later. Needless to say my keyboard skills have been greatly compromised and am essentially relearning how to play effectively.

Auria has compelled me to be a better guitar player, a better singer, a better pianist. It has taken me back to a time where I ENJOYED creating music and has opened up my mind to bigger and better productions by keeping it SIMPLE. I love this app.

Please have a listen to my first iPAD/Auria production. The quality speaks for itself.

http://soundcloud.com/tukk68/shrug

ZenLizard
Expert

Post by ZenLizard » Tue May 28, 2013 7:57 pm

@Tukk68 — Hey, nice work. Are you playing everything, or is this a group effort? Totally true what you write about simplicity. Add too much and all you end up with is audio gruel.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:21 pm

:?: