Latency issues ruin Auria experience

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Shay
Expert

Re: Latency issues ruin Auria experience

Post by Shay » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:07 am

Hi Rim,

I have Auria LE, which is, I guess the reason why I don't have 64bit option.
I have Auria running alone after clean reboot on my IPAD without audiobus.
This project has 15 tracks. Some have basic effects (which come with the app), and some have FabFilter Micro.
It's an IPAD 3 with 16GB memory and OS6.0.1.

When this project is open and paused I see (in the mixer view) that the CPU is around 92%.
While playing I get "CPU overloaded" message from time to time.

I'm not recording like most of the guys here (I mainly paste from other Synth apps), but I thought that maybe CPU is related to other latency issues.
Anyway is the app calculating even when it is paused?
Is Auria always waiting for sound input even if I didn't press any record button? because the input matrix shows incoming sound from the internal mic and I don't see a way to stop it.

Thanks,
Shay

warfaanax
Expert

Post by warfaanax » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:19 am

I tried every possible setting with auria. Yes auidiobus mode is enabled from settings.

Yes its 32 bits and tried even choosing 128 samples when recording option.

I run first audiobus then auria then jamup and there is latency.

I see yellow audiobus sign in auria.

No other background apps then auria, audiobus and jamup

When everything settles after opening these 3 apps auria shows %2 cpu load. Its not a cpu load issue because I have never seen cpu going high, probably its because I cant use this app due to its latency.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:39 am

OK, we have two different issues going on here. I'll handle each one separately:

@Shay: You can overload Auria with even one track. Auria is designed to not have any limits, so it's important to watch the CPU meter closely when adding plugins (for example, adding one Fabfilter DS and setting it to Oversampling mode can cause a CPU overload on an iPad 2). The mixer and the plugins run all the time, even when the transport is stopped. Most professional DAWs do this. This is important when using effects like reverbs, which continue to play for a while, even after the transport is stopped. Also for example, if you use Auria in live settings.

Make sure Audiobus mode is off (so you don't see the Audiobus text at the top of the screen). Also, make sure you don't have any other apps running in the background. Another important thing to consider when trying to get the best performance from Auria is setting your record latency as high as possible. This is located in Auria's settings page. Auria normally uses a latency of 4096 when playing back, which helps a lot with CPU usage, but when you start recording, it switches to a lower latency (whatever you have set in the settings). Unless you're doing live recording, and low latency monitoring is important to you, you may want to increase the record latency to 1024 or higher for the best performance when recording. Another option is to choose the "disable effects during recording" option.

@warfaanax: The record latency setting in Auria's settings page has no effect when in Audiobus mode, so you can ignore that setting. Auria's latency is dictated by the Audiobus app, which you can set as low as 256. I think there may be some issues with Jam Up, and we are going to experiment with this today. So far, it's the only app that's given users issues with latency, so I think it may be an issue with Jam Up. I'll report back when we've had a chance to test it.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:52 pm

I've done some tests today, and I think I may have discovered why you've been experiencing additional latency with Jam Up/Audiobus/Auria. Auria handles inputs from Audiobus a little differently than other recording apps. In Auria, the audio input from Audiobus gets routed into Auria's mixer, through it's plug-ins, then out to the speaker/headphones. This kind of routing provides powerful flexibility, because you can add Auria's effects in real time to the Audiobus input. However, as a result, this also adds an additional layer of latency. It doesn't add much, but it's enough that you might notice when playing fast parts on a guitar, for example.

So, in Auria v1.07, I've decided to add a new setting: Audiobus Live mode. If you enable this, Auria will let Audiobus handle all the input monitoring, so you'll get less latency. After adding this new mode, I measured the same amount of latency as other recording apps using Audiobus.

Rim

Checkrath
Expert

Post by Checkrath » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:12 am

Thanks Rim! Sounds like exactly what is needed :D

r3watson
Expert

Post by r3watson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks for all the positive and negative responses to my thread!

Hopefully, as my initial post mentioned, you all see that I am NOT running a jailbroken iPad. Check my signature to see my setup.

I guess I need to clarify a bit more. I record alone, so overdubbing myself is what I do most of the time, and why latency is so important to me. I also really wanted to use Audiobus. However, the Audiobus latency is just too much with Auria. Also, I am only using Audiobus and one other App at a time, as the manual states. I have read the manual several times and tried all the possibilities to reduce latency.

As to my problem pasting from Multitrack DAW, I solved the nonpasting problem I had encountered, so things have been getting better, not 24-bit better, but better. The reason I couldn't paste from the general pasteboard in Multitrack DAW into Auria was because I was using Multitrack DAW in 24-bit mode, which when combined with a paste into Auria, resulted in noise. I found that switching Multitrack DAW to 16-bit allowed me to paste into Auria. Still, though, that's the reason I wanted Auria in the first place: 24-bit recording.

Again, I encounter none of the Audiobus latency when used with Multitrack DAW. In Auria, I can even hear the latency when I play the keys on my keyboard.

I was overjoyed to see that in the next update, there will be some changes in the way Audiobus works with Auria! Looking forward to better things in the future.

I am not abandoning Auria! I spent most of the weekend playing with it, though mostly as a mixer for the parts I recorded in Multitrack DAW. Auria offers so much more than Multitrack DAW, and I look forward to using it more and more as my problems get worked out.

Thanks!
-iPad 4 32gig/-iOS 9.1/-Auria Pro/-Apogee Jam/-Not jailbroken

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:44 pm

8) edit: 8)

I'll be back :mrgreen:

r3watson
Expert

Post by r3watson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:01 pm

Here are screenshots of my settings. First are the settings for recording synths and other apps on the iPad. Second are the settings when recording via Scarlett 2i2.

I really appreciate the suggestion! How about the Record Latency Adjustment setting? I've changed it several times with no noticeable difference.

I hope the images appear.

-iPad 4 32gig/-iOS 9.1/-Auria Pro/-Apogee Jam/-Not jailbroken

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Can't see no images
Try again someone might notice something wrong in the settings :wink: