Latency issues ruin Auria experience

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

r3watson
Expert

Latency issues ruin Auria experience

Post by r3watson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:01 am

I've been continually frustrated with being unable to perform the simplest of recording tasks on Auria. Latency is awful, and I've tried every permutation to try and lessen the latency, whether recording using a USB device, Scarlett 2i2, or Apogee Jam. I simply can't deal with the horrible latency. I end up having to splice every single region I record. Yes, I've read the manual, several times, and tried all the suggestions to decrease the latency, even the loop back test. Nothing helps, not even having only one track on Auria.

Using Audiobus is even worse, as the latency is even longer. I followed all the instructions in the Auria manual to no avail. I don't understand how anyone is getting acceptable results with Auria and Audiobus.

I had such high hopes for Auria. Of course, I say this after having wonderful success using Multitrack DAW, which has no noticeable latency when recording via USB or Apogee Jam. The success I had with Multitrack DAW is what lead me to think Auria would be heaven for me.

So, I thought, I can use Multritrack DAW do all my non-latency recording, and just paste it into Auria to use as a mixer. No, no, no. I am unable to paste from Multritrack DAW into Auria. I've already been through a thread here of every way to try and paste between the two Apps: I bought AudioShare to try and help with making the pastes between apps work - it didn't. I deleted and reinstalled Multritrack DAW in hopes that may clear up the incompatibility - again, it didn't work.

I thought the pasting trouble was due to Multitrack DAW using the general pasteboard, but have had no troubles pasting from other general pasteboard apps into Auria, Sunrizer synth, for instance.

So, the point I'm at now is to use Multritrack DAW and abandon Auria. Multitrack DAW just works, and Audiobus is flawless.
I hope in the future that I am able to use Auria, heck, even just for final mixing would be nice. However, for now, I feel quite frustrated and hopeless using Auria.

I would be so happy for some suggestions or ideas. As it is, I've spent nearly two weeks trying to get Auria to do what Multitrack DAW does effortlessly.

Thanks for listening.
-iPad 4 32gig/-iOS 9.1/-Auria Pro/-Apogee Jam/-Not jailbroken

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Latency issues ruin Auria experience

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:19 pm

I made a video to demonstrate that Auria copies audio from DawMultitrack without any problems. I think it's important to paint an honest picture of Auria so that when new Forum users or even someone just checking our Forum out to see if they might want to use Auria aren't misinformed. Sometimes problems with an app are not always the apps fault but something else is going on. If someone is going to post such a definitive problem, it might be best to see if others in the forum are having the same issue. I've checked the forum and I don't see this as a reported problem and I have never had an isssue with Auria and DawMultitrack. So the link to the video is for newcomers who want to know the facts about copying audio from DawMultitrack into Auria.
Cheers and hope this clears any confusion about Auria at handling this task.
~~_/)~~~

Heres the link
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BGeB-Wdc40Y

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:38 pm

In addition I record with Auria daily and acomplish tons of work with NO latency even with Audiobus. The Forum is full of Auria Artist who have posted their successful Auria recordings and many done already using audiobus. This Artist thread is one of the most used and visited on this site and that should be enough of a testament to Aurias success. I started that thread because proof is in the product Auria Artists put out for us to listen to and thanks to those Artists we have that to go by.

warfaanax
Expert

Post by warfaanax » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:37 pm

I also suffer from horirible latency. How people can say there is no latency i dont understand. I tried cubasis on my ipad4 and its flawless with jamup and audiobus. No latency. I wish there was a refund policy in appstore. People say dont misinform others who want to buy but I wish I saw this forum before.

warfaanax
Expert

Post by warfaanax » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:I made a video to demonstrate that Auria copies audio from DawMultitrack without any problems. I think it's important to paint an honest picture of Auria so that when new Forum users or even someone just checking our Forum out to see if they might want to use Auria aren't misinformed. Sometimes problems with an app are not always the apps fault but something else is going on. If someone is going to post such a definitive problem, it might be best to see if others in the forum are having the same issue. I've checked the forum and I don't see this as a reported problem and I have never had an isssue with Auria and DawMultitrack. So the link to the video is for newcomers who want to know the facts about copying audio from DawMultitrack into Auria.
~~_/)~~~

Heres the link
This is an honest review of this app. Don't think I paid 25$ just to come here and bash auria without any solid reason. I bought ipad just because these awesome music production apps.

There is nothing else going on and this is auria's fault. How can a cubasis succeed to have no latency when using with jamup and audiobus?

Also keep in mind that not everyone has a sensitive ear. Personaly my ears are very picky and can hear the latency very well. On the other hand you don't have to be picky to hear guitar sound can't keep up while playing fast guitar solos. If this is not very honest try to double a guitar track and you will see...

We have to write these problems here so developers can fix these issues since there is no refund policy in appstore.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:48 pm

There is a latency problem with Jamup via Audiobus into Auria when you are playing , then its enhanced on playback , but I personally have not noticed latency anywhere else in Auria
Using Sunrizer in Audiobus n stuff like that

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:12 pm

warfaanax wrote:
Anthony Alves wrote:I made a video to demonstrate that Auria copies audio from DawMultitrack without any problems. I think it's important to paint an honest picture of Auria so that when new Forum users or even someone just checking our Forum out to see if they might want to use Auria aren't misinformed. Sometimes problems with an app are not always the apps fault but something else is going on. If someone is going to post such a definitive problem, it might be best to see if others in the forum are having the same issue. I've checked the forum and I don't see this as a reported problem and I have never had an isssue with Auria and DawMultitrack. So the link to the video is for newcomers who want to know the facts about copying audio from DawMultitrack into Auria.
~~_/)~~~

Heres the link
This is an honest review of this app. Don't think I paid 25$ just to come here and bash auria without any solid reason. I bought ipad just because these awesome music production apps.

There is nothing else going on and this is auria's fault. How can a cubasis succeed to have no latency when using with jamup and audiobus?

Also keep in mind that not everyone has a sensitive ear. Personaly my ears are very picky and can hear the latency very well. On the other hand you don't have to be picky to hear guitar sound can't keep up while playing fast guitar solos. If this is not very honest try to double a guitar track and you will see...

We have to write these problems here so developers can fix these issues since there is no refund policy in appstore.
I think reporting a possible bug or problem with Auria is very different than trying to convince others that Auria isn't worth using.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:15 pm

My video is about audiocopy from DawMultitrack into Auria NOT Audiobus Latency in Auria.

warfaanax
Expert

Post by warfaanax » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:06 pm

[/quote]

I think reporting a possible bug or problem with Auria is very different than trying to convince others that Auria isn't worth using.[/quote]

Let me clarify myself. When i said "this is an honest review" I didn't mean his video.

With the same logic everyone who writes on this forum saying "such an awesome app, great app" is trying to convince others that auria is worth buying? But i dont think you would have problem with that.

How come others can say what do they think about this app and we can't? Is there a forum Nazi somewhere?

My purpose is not convincing others for anythting. I already reported bugs. But developers cant do what everyone wants right. So all I do is come here and write under others having the same problem so when developers look they can see how so many people having issues and prioritize them. By giving examples like how cubasis works with no latency I am trying to show developers that it can be done. We have to give examples because some people will come and say "hey there is no latency stop saying bad things about this app, say only good things"

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:48 pm

warfaanax wrote:"hey there is no latency stop saying bad things about this app, say only good things"
hm, that's what I'd say. Although I don't mind people telling bad things about functional software (or hardware).

Now, what is the problem? Many people, let's say the majority, can use Auria with real-time processing, even for live. That is the idea and purpose of Auria.

If it doesn't work for some people, I'd like to know why. Is it an iPad1? Or iOS 4? From my experience and from what I hear it's almost impossible to go wrong with Auria or any iOS app. But that's my own observation, I'd really like to know if there are problems I've not encountered yet.

The fact that, with the same setup, Cubasis has no latency, and Auria has, is troubling. I don't have Cubasis, but I also don't have latency in Auria. iOS 6.1, headphone jack (iPad4), and iU2 interface (iPad2).

Besides, I don't care which iOS DAW is the best. I'm only interested in getting my work done, and why it isn't possible for others.

warfaanax
Expert

Post by warfaanax » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:56 pm

I have ipad 4 running ios 6.1. So no issues with hardware. I also dont understand why there is a latency in this app while other apps dont have it with the same setup. I run jamup pro- audiobus -auria and latency is alot. I tried every possible setting in auria no luck. Exactly the same setup and replace auria with cubasis in audiobus and latency dissappears. I really hope they fix it in the nex update...

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:15 pm

hmm, in that case it really looks like an error in Auria. Strange that I can't reproduce it in my setups.

How much latency do you get without audio interface? Only using the iPad mic input? Or headphone jack microphone input (you'll need a custom cable for that, or the iPhone ear buds)?

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the source of the problem but... While opening a project I noticed that the CPU is very high.
Even when doing nothing (the project is paused) the CPU is around 92%.
No other app is running in the background.
I have iPad 3 with 16gb .
I guess that high CPU can cause leggy respond to user actions and recording.

One more thing,
Every one need to remember that this is the first version of this app!!! Cubase is like 100 years around :D and even so Auria has a lot to offer.
I guess in time the developers will fix most of the issues.I love this app and very hope so.....

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:33 am

Quick question - are you running a jailbroken iPad?

Auria has the same latency as any other app when recording. You can choose this in the settings page (under record latency). As long as you're not using Auria with Audiobus, Auria has very low latency - the same amount as any other audio app.

Do you see the "Audiobus" text in yellow at the top you your screen when you experience this latency? Also, it's very important that you don't run any other apps in the background when using Auria if you want to experience the best performance. Especially other audio apps. Just double-tap on the home button, and close all other apps you see (including apps like Safari and Settings). Of course, if you're using Auria to record audio from another app, using Audiobus, you'll need to use other apps in the background, but just be aware that doing this will bring additional memory and latency into the picture.

If you're getting high CPU usage, some things to check are the mixer mode in the settings. Make sure this is set to 32 bit, not 64 bit. Also, make sure you're not using Audiobus, and no other apps are running in the background.

Please keep in mind that Auria is a very powerful audio app, and can really tax an iPad, especially when using plug-ins, or high track-count projects. Using it together with any other audio apps can easily overload your iPad unless careful measures are taken.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:51 am

I had another idea about where your latency might be coming from when using Audiobus with Auria. Did you remember to enable Audiobus mode in Auria's settings? If you want to use Audiobus with Auria, make sure this is enabled. It's also best to open the Audiobus app first, before you open Auria or your other apps. If Auria is already running, force-close it before starting Audiobus.

Rim