Replace Source file

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

timmyg
Expert

Replace Source file

Post by timmyg » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 am

Hi all,

I had a search for this topic but couldn't find it...though I reckon someone must have covered it:

I have a guitar track from Garageband that I edited in Auria. I have done lots of fades, cut & pastes etc. I want to change the original sound of the guitar back in Garageband but really don't want to go down the route of making all my edits again in Auria.

Is there a way I can just replace the Source file in Auria and keep all the edits intact? Do I have to call it the same name, can I replace it etc?

If anyone can tell me the process for this it would be great.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Replace Source file

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:26 am

timmyg wrote:Hi all,

I had a search for this topic but couldn't find it...though I reckon someone must have covered it:

I have a guitar track from Garageband that I edited in Auria. I have done lots of fades, cut & pastes etc. I want to change the original sound of the guitar back in Garageband but really don't want to go down the route of making all my edits again in Auria.

Is there a way I can just replace the Source file in Auria and keep all the edits intact? Do I have to call it the same name, can I replace it etc?

If anyone can tell me the process for this it would be great.
Unfortunately the region of audio that you have created your cuts and pastes and edits is associated with thise edits and if you remove the region which can omly be done by selecting DELETE REGION in the EDIT menu. This region and all it' edits will be removed from the project.
One way around this is to take a snapshot of the project and this may give you a quicker way to replace the settings. You could also save any FX presets for the track and call them up rather quickly. Another way is to simply leave that track up with all its edits and FX and go re-record your guitar track and then import it along side the old track then simply apply the same edits to the new file while using the old file as a reference. If your not looking to replace the guitar settings but rather just the tone you could just do that in Auria using the PSP EQ or Fabfilter ProQ.
Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

ChrisG
Expert

Re: Replace Source file

Post by ChrisG » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:48 pm

If you use an iOS file system explorer like iFunbox with your iDevice connected to your computer, you might be able to replace the file with another one with the same exact name. But i have no idea how Auria analyzes audio files so it might or might not work. Do a backup of your project first, to Dropbox just to be safe...