Using Auria for Live Backing Tracks

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Henrylambourne

Using Auria for Live Backing Tracks

Post by Henrylambourne » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:01 pm

Hello!

I have had a quick search could find anything.
Basically this app looks like the best thing since the iPad for me.

I want to have a stereo backing track go to a PA then me have a stereo set of headphones with a metronome and track info playing to me.

I am intending on buying an interface like the http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio ... rlett_8i6/

My question is does the app support this and does the interface I have chosen hear support this? Ie could the headphone port be different to the main outputs?

I really hope this all makes sense. Thanks for anytime reading and helping.

louparte
Expert

Re: Using Auria for Live Backing Tracks

Post by louparte » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:05 am

Personally, I think Auria is better geared toward live recording than live it is for playback.

Loading time will be a little slow. You'll have to do it manually. The iPad itself is still a little buggy.

I have a Roland Sonic Cell I would not hesitate to use. Fast loading and stable. iPad & Auria?
Try it and see.

Henrylambourne

Post by Henrylambourne » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:02 am

That's a £600-700 solution rather than £150!

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:12 am

Henrylambourne wrote:That's a £600-700 solution rather than £150!
I think Auria will slow you down in a live setting. But try it & see.
Maybe I'm wrong.

There are free MP3 player apps for iPad that can create a set list like you have w/an iPod.
No need for Auria or an interface.

I think Auria is a brilliant live recording DAW. I would look elsewhere or live playback.

Henrylambourne

Post by Henrylambourne » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:03 am

I think everyone is missing a important factor and not reading. I need 2 stereo tracking running to two separate outputs. If I just needed mp3s is use the iPod player on the iPad lol.

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:34 am

Henrylambourne wrote:I think everyone is missing a important factor and not reading. I need 2 stereo tracking running to two separate outputs. If I just needed mp3s is use the iPod player on the iPad lol.
Everyone is 'me' apparently, since I'm the only me who has bothered to respond.

And you're half right. I stopped reading.

JohnInBoston

Post by JohnInBoston » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:59 am

Henry,

Yes, I believe you can do exactly what you want with Auria and a Scarlett. I have a Scarlett 18i6 [which I love] and it can be configured to send DAW 1&2 to the monitor outs and DAW 3&4 to the headphone outs. Within Auria, you can then use Aux Sends to put out Aux Send 1 on outputs 1&2 (which show up on the monitor outs of the Scarlett) and Aux Send 2 to outputs 3&4 (which show up in the headphones). Use the Aux 1&2 knobs of each channel to mix to taste. If you want a click track only in your headphones, then turn up Aux 2 only. All other channels (your guitar input, stereo backing track in Auria, etc) turn up in both Aux 1 & 2 and they show up in both places. I just tried this for myself and it worked great.

There are youtube videos out there showing how to use Auria as a live mixer, where you basically run whatever instruments you want in, Arm those channels for record, and set levels as desired. To add a backing track, just push play on the backing tracking while all other channels are just Armed. Or hit record if you want to record your gig as you go.

-John in [Blizzardy] Boston

Henrylambourne

Post by Henrylambourne » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:38 pm

I apologised if I sounded rude on the not everyone is reading it bit. Didn't mean to. Thank you for fantastic post! I think this solution should work well then. Does the lower scarlet series have the multi outputs?

JohnInBoston

Post by JohnInBoston » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:32 pm

I can't say for certain, since I don't actually have an 8i6, but I believe it shares the same brain as the 18i6 and should operate the same way. They both use the same MixControl software which allows you to configure "zero latency" mixes within the hardware, or configure it to take multiple DAW outputs as I described above. When you plug it in to Auria, all the available channels just show up with no configuration necessary. Route them any way you want through the Input Matrix and Output Matrix panels.

-John

JohnInBoston

Post by JohnInBoston » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:19 pm

One more thing...

I found this review to be very thorough and helpful:

http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpress. ... evised.pdf

It covers the similarities and differences between the 8i6 and 18i6, with detailed measurements of preamp performance, latency, etc.

John