How does Auria perform on an iPad 4?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

JohnInBoston

Re: How does Auria perform on an iPad 4?

Post by JohnInBoston » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Just one more vote to say that the iPad4 is much better than the 2. I was compelled to upgrade a few weeks ago, primarily due to disappointment with audiobus (and auria, not yet on the bus then) on the iPad2, which would cough and wheeze a bit with the more CPU intensive synths -- I'm looking at you, Magellan! Bought a wifi-only, 64GB iPad4 and there is a world of difference. Auria scrolling is smooth, response is great, can run effects with no problem. Auria on Audiobus is great (though Magellan still bumps it up against the ceiling), and I've been very happy. In my typical config, I have 4-5 channels of drums plus stereo bass running into a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 (which is also great) and Animoog or another synth, plus funkbox, over audiobus, all running into Auria at the same time. Works very well.

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:32 am

Thanks, ok looks like I'll probably go for the iPad 4 64gb. Probably gonna sting a bit if Apple does show a more powerful device early this April, but I guess that's always gonna be true when it comes to gadgets eh. :)

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:57 am

ChrisG wrote:Thanks, ok looks like I'll probably go for the iPad 4 64gb. Probably gonna sting a bit if Apple does show a more powerful device early this April, but I guess that's always gonna be true when it comes to gadgets eh. :)
sure,you would never buy anything computer related if you always wait until a better one comes out :wink:
And as i wrote above,i really don't think it will be a huge CPU step forward if they release a new iPad in march.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:10 am

You're prob right. If anything we might see a better GPU and doubled RAM, but that will most likely benefit graphics heavy apps like games and so on.

The thing I'm most looking forward to are better speakers (and stereo) so I can mix and master on my iPad speakers. DON'T KNOCK IT! Mobile are the new reference speakers or so I've heard... :P

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:51 am

Ram possible but since the iPad 4's GPU is also doubled compared to an IPad 3...i don't think so.I'm playing games on my iPad as well and theres currently simply nothing that trash out the GPU.Not anywhere near.Why should they make it even faster now with the risk of higher temperature and less battery life?Anyway,just speculations...

Ah,wait.I forgot...ONE app already exhaust even an iPad 4 GPU:hello Auria :P
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:01 am

CEIsar wrote:Ram possible but since the iPad 4's GPU is also doubled compared to an IPad 3...i don't think so.I'm playing games on my iPad as well and theres currently simply nothing that trash out the GPU.Not anywhere near.Why should they make it even faster now with the risk of higher temperature and less battery life?Anyway,just speculations...
lol, we said that about the iPad 3 as well. There's still no game that really challenges the 3rd one. The only reason for Apple to increase the power of their tablets, at least as i see it, is that they want to access the professional creative market with it.

At the moment, on an iPad 3, Photoshop Touch and Auria are no real fun, tbh. Because you're not able to work smoothly, freely, and intuitively. But once the power has reached a certain level, you can actually use the tablet as your main work station.

The iPad 4 was a step in that direction, imo. I couldn't see any other reason for the rather immense cpu and gpu update. And i'd really be surprised when the iPad 5 won't introduce the A7X processor.