Auria changed pitch and tempo, what happened?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Auria changed pitch and tempo, what happened?

Post by ChrisG » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:55 am

I started a 44.1khz project with 2 mono tracks and a different drum loop on each, routed to a sub channel with microwarmer and Saturn. Tempo set to 106bpm to match the loops tempo. Closed Auria and surfed around on the internets using icab browser etc. Later started Auria again to continue on the project but it somehow sounded a bit slower then I had remembered it, anyways got a CPU overload warning so I double clicked home button and closed icab web browser. Now the tempo and pitch increased back to 106bpm from around 100bpm. I closed Auria and replicated it a bunch of times, opening the browser first would lower the tempo and the pitch on the audio tracks in Auria with about 5-6bpm. I know different sample frequencies will mess up the pitch, but that doesn't explain Auria also changin the tempo of the whole project to be in perfect sync with the new pitch, does it? Can't replicate it anymore now so dunno what was goin on.

Anyway, what is this sorcery? Changing tempo also changes the pitch of the audio is not a function that's available now right (cos I want it, now)?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Auria changed pitch and tempo, what happened?

Post by Rim » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:58 am

Are you using Auria, or Auria LE? Did you plug in headphones at the time it happened?

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 am

Auria, nothing plugged in.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:03 am

The next time this happens, try plugging in some headphones, then unplugging them to see if it fixes the issue.

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:06 am

Rim:

Yea so it got nada to do with the browser thing. I plugged in some Logitech clip-on speaker for tablets and started Auria, it played at lower tempo/pitch but ripping out the plug fixed it. I guess it's the same with headphones?

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:08 am

Tried a bunch more times, and having the speaker plugged in = lower tempo and pitch. Unplugging it fixes it.

But I like this feature lol. Anyway to implement it in a more controllable fashion? :D

Edit: Also plugging in and unplugging the speaker repeatedly sometimes changes the tempo
Last edited by ChrisG on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:12 am

OK, this is a bug in the Apple CoreAudio system. We managed to get a workaround included into the Auria 1.06 update, but Auria LE doesn't have it yet. That's why I asked about the version What happens is that sometimes, plugging in headphones will cause the audio system to use switch to the wrong sample rate. Plugging them in again will reset this. It's something we've let Apple know about, and we hope they will fix it in the next iOS update. It's actually the reason why we held off so long on using the multiroute audio feature, as this doesn't happen with the older system. It's interesting that it's still happening for you on Auria vs Auria LE. I'll see if I can make the workaround we have more robust.

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:15 am

Ah ok got it, thanks.