Can't playback/record with 1.06 and 96k

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

drock
Expert

Can't playback/record with 1.06 and 96k

Post by drock » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:42 am

Ok, so I've updated to 1.06 and now when I plug up my presonus 1818 and then my klipsch earbuds, it's like Auria just locks up. It plays a few milliseconds of audio every 3 seconds...all the functions become REALLY slow, the menus, the console, etc. it's like everything comes to a massive crawl. I can't playback, I can't record. I'm stuck!

Now, I TOTALLY get that you're not supposed to plug in a USB unit and earbuds at the same time for fear of popping and other issues....well, up until 1.06 that was never an issue for me...maybe just a little pop at the end of a take but I could always move the handle and take care of it later.

I noticed that when I use to plug in this way with version 1.05, it would tell me it's 'not suggested to plug in headphones due to popping', etc...but in 1.06, I don't get that message...Auria just becomes unusable. I wish I never updated now.

Now the OTHER interesting thing is- this only occurs with 96K projects...projects where I have a bunch of audio already recorded. In 44.1, it's fine! Like it use to be.
So is there any way to revert back to an old version of Auria? Or somehow put out a small update to fix this quickly? Otherwise, I'm hosed and my projects are on a deadline.

I'm running a 64GB iPad 4 on iOS 6.0.1. Also, I've tried plugging in headphones to the presonus but playback is silent.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Can't playback/record with 1.06 and 96k

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:05 am

That's not good. These issues are probably related to the fact that we switched to Apple's new multiroute audio feature. This allows use of headphones at the same time as a USB device is plugged in. Unfortunately it looks like Apple has some bugs to address. I've posted other related bugs to Apple's bug tracker, and I'll add this one as well.

There's no way to go backwards once you install an update, unfortunately. Plus, the Auria project format changed in 1.06, so it wouldn't be forwards-compatible if you used 1.05 or a previous version with a project used in 1.06.

Let's hope Apple fixes this in the next iOS update.

Rim

DavePDX
Expert

Post by DavePDX » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:22 am

drock wrote:I'm running a 64GB iPad 4 on iOS 6.0.1. Also, I've tried plugging in headphones to the presonus but playback is silent.
I also have the Presonus, & prior to updating to iOS 6.0.1, its headphone jack didn't work. It works great for me now, though I'm on the road now & can't test specifically on a 96k recording. However, it should work. You may need to modify the output matrix in Auria.

I think you have a much better shot at getting this to work than the iPad's headphone jack.

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Update: ok, so right before I wore a noose, I tried changing the output matrix like DavePDX said and once I chose outputs 7 & 8 it finally worked out of the presonus!! I don't know why it worked but so far it's working. I can hear the tracks to play against, playback seems fine and no weird distortion. I'm praying that nothing changes for the worse again. I'll keep this updated.

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:40 am

drock wrote:Update: ok, so right before I wore a noose, I tried changing the output matrix like DavePDX said and once I chose outputs 7 & 8 it finally worked out of the presonus!! I don't know why it worked but so far it's working. I can hear the tracks to play against, playback seems fine and no weird distortion. I'm praying that nothing changes for the worse again. I'll keep this updated.

Good stuff. Alot of us had this same issue even with os5 on older auria versions. I too had to use 7/8...
But can you tell me, now that you use os6 are you also gettig simultanious headphone output from the Presonus?

Thanx

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:06 am

In the original post you mentioned that you'd hear audio in short bursts, and Auria would slow down. Is this still happening?

Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:56 am

Rim, nope, not now that I keep the earbuds plugged directly into the PreSonus.....BUT if I plug in earbuds to the iPads headphone jack and have the presonus connected via the lightning port then ya, it can be duplicated.

Trupro, yeah, I do get normal playback/live monitoring when plugging the earbuds in the presonus (I just leave them plugged in now), so things seem to be back to normal. But I swear, I'm so scared to update Auria now in case it all just stops working cuz I have all my projects in 96...I cross my fingers all the time.

Also, I hate to be the only up here whining about 96 but Audiobus is currently useless to me cuz the other apps that I want to play in real time dont like 96 (Magellan, FunkBox) so I just wasted 10 bucks and had to lower my expectations again. When I run a 44.1 project in auria with audiobus and all, it works fine. Auria throws me a nice message of "The project you're loading has a samplerate which is different from the samplerate of the other audio apps you're running the in the background. If you wish to use this new samplerate, please close all other background audio apps, or set them all to the new sample rate". So in short "this isnt going to work". I click 'ok' on that message and then it throws me a crash report error. Oh well.

I'm just glad I keep recording drums and that I'm not shut down since I'm on a deadline. I'll try to answer any other questions since I seem to be one of the only ones doing all this.

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:56 am

Cool drock...yeah i am learning so much from my own and others issues/resolutions here, you seem to be using your rig for the exact same stuff as myself.

so just to confirm, you are using iPad 4 with iOS6 and newest version of Auria?

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:34 pm

trupro wrote:Cool drock...yeah i am learning so much from my own and others issues/resolutions here, you seem to be using your rig for the exact same stuff as myself.

so just to confirm, you are using iPad 4 with iOS6 and newest version of Auria?
Yessir, 64GB iPad 4, iOS 6.0.1 and Auria 1.06. I'm learning a ton here too! Mostly from trial and error and error and error, lol. Same way I learned photography and all the other instruments I play...it's prob not the fastest but its the most effective for me. It can be frustrating though cuz it seems that I'm the only one here that's pushing the limits of both the iPad and Auria. I've been doing drums for all of January and I'm pretty close to being finished...then it's bass, elec guitar, acoustic, etc etc...

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:06 pm

looks like im gonna have to get an iPad 4. For now i'm okay with tracking drums in 44.1 to get perfect performance, but i would like to be doing everything in 96K and also using Audiobus to track my i0S synths, so that's gonna take more power than my iPad2 can handle.

best luck with the project, what type of stuff do you write? (i guess this is off topic discussion for the Auria Artists/Showcase Whatever thread thingy)

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:21 pm

Ha, good point but I'm not ready to post anything in that thread yet cuz I have nothing to show...album will hit iTunes in Nov but there's a TON of work to be done since its all me.

The short answer is 'avant-garde pop rock' . Like Phil Collins/Our Lady Peace/The Police/Porcupine Tree/Pink Floyd. It'll be under the monicker of 'Left Hand Circus'

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:56 pm

drock wrote:Ha, good point but I'm not ready to post anything in that thread yet cuz I have nothing to show...album will hit iTunes in Nov but there's a TON of work to be done since its all me.

The short answer is 'avant-garde pop rock' . Like Phil Collins/Our Lady Peace/The Police/Porcupine Tree/Pink Floyd. It'll be under the monicker of 'Left Hand Circus'
woah. this is rite in my lane, my kind of thing. where do you reside? would love to catch a show. we are a little more dance-rockish that the ones you listed, but i am totally into that sound. we are: www.stereo-off.com

anyway looking forward to hearing, cheers

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:19 am

trupro wrote:looks like im gonna have to get an iPad 4. For now i'm okay with tracking drums in 44.1 to get perfect performance, but i would like to be doing everything in 96K and also using Audiobus to track my i0S synths, so that's gonna take more power than my iPad2 can handle.

best luck with the project, what type of stuff do you write? (i guess this is off topic discussion for the Auria Artists/Showcase Whatever thread thingy)
It's called Active Auria Artists Demos/Masters and yes that is the thread for Auria Artists to show off their recordings in Auria and is one of the most viewed and active threads on this forum so you should get some good listening and comments on your tracks.