Auria Importing Issues

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

photojc

Auria Importing Issues

Post by photojc » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:25 pm

Here's an email I wrote to Auria Support team
"Hi, I'm working on a project that involves importing mp3 music tracks and putting sound effects behind the music. I am having multiple issues with importing. First, in order for me to import files into my edit window I have to imports them twice, once from the general folder where I initially placed the files from iTunes, and then I have to try and import them again from the project's folder. The channels remain blank if i only do the first import. It says "decoding mp3" when I try to import the first time, then it says "importing wav" the next time I try to import. I don't see why it can't just import the first time especially when I have already selected a channel to place the file in.

My second issue is that when I import my 32 bit mp3's, it will either convert them to either 16 or 24 bit. Do they need to be downgraded, and if so how come some songs (from the same album) are converted to 24 bit while others are converted to 16? I would like to come away with the most amount of quality from my mixes especially when I paid $50 for the software rather than use a program like Audacity.

My third issue is that the music tracks I imported crackle and pop when they peak. I have tried lowering the tracks' gain, normalizing, lowering the master output, but no matter how quiet the iPad's output, the track still crackles. It's definitely not written in the track itself, because I have previewed the track through the import browser, and it sounded fine. Therefore it is somehow affecting the track after or while it is imported. "

Phil999
Expert

Re: Auria Importing Issues

Post by Phil999 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:36 pm

one should always have the source files uncompressed. Compressed formats are end-user formats for low quality playback devices, not suited for editing or mixing. Mp3 is a heavily compressed format, regardless of bitrate.

I think the best way is to transcode all files to .wav before importing. Although this is not the proper way to go; you will increase the file size by factor 7 and won't gain any quality improvement. Sometimes one doesn't have a choice, but one cannot expect excellent results, I'm afraid to say.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi photojc,
Your first problem may be solved if you create the project folder first then just copy your tracks to the named folder and import from that folder into Auria. You can also tap and hold and drag files into other folders in Auria. I agree with Phill you should convert your audio on the PC/Mac first then import the .wav files.
You second problem is that the iPad only supports up to 24 bit audio. As well mp3 is not on the supported audio list unless that will be available in the next update in Apple's approvel que. I know they included m4a.
You conversion issue is likely that you might have had the project set to that bit rate and all incoming files will be converted to the same bit rate as the project. This is set at first when you create the project and cannot be changed.
Your distortion is the same problem I often run into. Too hot. I've tried to find the source of this but I can only guess that something is really driving the levels up and when I paste into Auria and other apps I get this. I have only been able to use Audiobus with good level results. But I degress, so here is how I fix this in Auria.
Select the waveform by double tapping and holding on the second tap this allows you to highlight in grey the waveform. Select the process option and choose gain. Now set the gain to -5 db and process. The wave will be that much quiter and hopefully not clipping. If it is just do it again until you have the channel fader set to unity and no clipping, only green vu. Now you have some mixing headroom.
Lastely I hope this helps you and keeps you recording with Auria. Cheers
~~_/)~~~

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:56 am

Comparing Audacity to Auria is pretty... audacious ;-)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:25 am

Auria's support for MP3 files is limited. If MP3 files are the only source you have available, I suggest converting your MP3 files to WAV using another program before importing them into Auria.

Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:22 pm

Sorry for resurrecting such an old a topic, but I'm having issues with importing a stereo 32-bit float AIFF I exported from Logic Pro to my iPad. What happen is, after it's imported, it comes heavily clipped - a fat distorted sound, which would be even cool if it was meant to be distorted, and if it was what I wanted.

I first thought the audio had issues upon the transference to the iPad - I wouldn't guess how, but nothing's impossible in the tech world - but after re-checking it, by previewing the file using the speaker icon in the Import Audio menu, I am absolutely sure it's just fine.

Is there something I'm missing? Never came across this behaviour in Auria before. Is there a solution? The sample rate of the audio file, by the way, is the same of my project, 44.100.

All the best!

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:37 pm

P.S.: Found a workaround! Re-exported the file as 24-bit and in .wav format. Now they are correctly imported. Anyway, my question stands: is there a solution for 32-bit float AIFF files? Or I must always use plain 24-bit ones?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:40 am

There might be something that Logic is doing to the 32 bit float files that Auria is not expecting. I'll add this to the list to take a look at.

Thanks,
Rim