Bug report

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Halderen

Bug report

Post by Halderen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Hello,

I have problems recording more than 14 tracks. I get an disk overflow error after a few minutes of recording time. However, i think i found kind of workarround (bug?): after starting auria it claims to use 400 mbyte memory (or more). No other apps are running at that time. After a couple of disk buffer overflow errors, the amount of memory used drops to about 10 to 20 Mbyte. In that situation the disk buffer overflow does not occur anymore, even after 40 minutes or more recording 16 tracks.

Is there a way to release the reported memoryuse of 400Mbyte or more immediately after starting Auria?

I use a ipad3/32Gbyte, with ios 6

I hope there is solution for this problem.

Best regards

A.van Halderen

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Bug report

Post by Rim » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Memory is completely managed by iOS, so what you're experiencing is likely iOS suddenly freeing memory that Auria (or some other app) is no longer using. It's not inconceivable to get a disk overload at that time, since iOS may take some time to clear the memory, etc. I haven't experienced a disk overload error when recording up to 48 tracks at once on an iPad 3, even for hours at a time. Are you using 96Khz as a sample rate? What kind of interface are you using?

Thanks,
Rim

Halderen

Post by Halderen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks for your quick respond.

I am running at 44.1 kHZ. Input is the buildin ipad microfone. First wanted to test the reliability of auria before investing in anninterface like the presonusn1818.

Does the diskbuffer problem disapear when i use a proper interface?

Thanks

A.van Halderen

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:30 pm

That's very odd. In all our testing we have never gotten a disk overload on an iPad 3. Some users have reported disk overload warnings when recording at 96K with an interface, but getting one at 44.1 is very unusual. Is your iPad Jailbroken? Also, maybe some other service is running when this happens, like iCloud?

Rim

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:56 pm

Rim wrote:Is your iPad Jailbroken?
Rim
Rim, just so we all know, what is the downside (Auria specific) for being jailbroken?

(Personally, I happily use my iPad 1 JB, especially to have quick access via SB Settings to kill all background app and processes.)

Thanks,

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:30 pm

Jailbreaking is not recommended when using an app like Auria for high performance audio. The reason is that Cydia, and other background tasks can use resources in a way that's unpredictable. You could get disk or CPU errors when running demanding projects if a heavy background task kicks in. Jailbreaking also allows you to run background processes that run differently from the way Apple's background apps run, potentially causing performance issues as well. In general Jailbreaking doesn't cause problems for most apps, and you may never see any issues when running Auria on a Jailbroken iPad, but if you want to ensure the most stable system, it's not recommended.

Rim

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Thanks, Rim, good to hear it from your POV.

Ciao,

Halderen

Post by Halderen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:59 am

Hi Rim,

No my ipad3 is not jailbroken. It is a brandnew device. Yes, i use icloud, but in switch off my network connection while using auria, so it sould not have any impact ?

A new test learned me that 24tracks / 96 khz gives the diskbuffer error afer about 30 seconds recording when memory use is above 20 mbyte. After a few 'crashes' memory use drops under 20 mbyte. Then it takes much longer to get the diskbuffer error.

Does this help to understand my problem?

Regards

A.vanHalderen

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:09 am

Have you tried rebooting your iPad, as well as closing all your background apps? It's very important that all your background apps are closed before doing any serious work in Auria. Even apps like Settings, App Store and Safari need to be closed, as these work in the background and could cause CPU/disk spikes.

Rebooting will not close your background apps, so make sure you close them separately. A reboot is also a good idea.

Rim