Suggestion about a toolbar

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Suggestion about a toolbar

Post by CEIsar » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:38 am

i know there's the"wishlist"thread but this one is just too important for me (and i can imagine i'm not the only one) :mrgreen:

So,currently cubasis is really not a competitor for auria in terms of soundquality/mixing etc. but the one thing,that is very tempting to me,is the toolbar that pops out with pressing a button.On computers i'm in love with the"right click opens toolbox"option since i started with cubase on atari and that's a point where auria still is anything else then intuitiv imo.For Even the smallest operation/edit i have to open the"edit"menu and"search"for the right option.If you are splitting/deleting/duplicating often...this can be quite annoying.

My suggestion is:a toolbar that pops out at the very bottom (i would be fine with the right side of the edit screen as well) of aurias edit window with all the most common tools like splitting,cut,duplitace and so on...there would be enough space to put even most of the edit functions in if necessary.But i prefer to not have all functions but bigger buttons.Of course the best thing would be: make it customizable which edit functions and what side of the screen the toolbar should appear.

You could place a small button for the toolbar between the two sliders for waveform/zoom or on the left side next to the "lock selection"box.on both sides is enough space for a small button and you wouldn't have to rebuild the interface design :)

i have more (smaller) wishes but better i post them over in the wishlist so everybody only has to concentrate about this one here :)
Last edited by CEIsar on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Phil999
Expert

Re: Suggestion about a toolbar

Post by Phil999 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:21 am

some useful suggestions, but let's not forget the app bar that will come when Audiobus will be supported in Auria. A toolbar pop-up could come in the way.

I'm duplicating quite often because I work loop-based at the moment (because I use Loopy as a multitrack recorder for internal app sounds and transfer the tracks to Aura afterwards), and first I also found it a bit difficult to work with the Auria edit menu. But after a while it isn't that difficult. First I copy-paste all loops to single tracks (only one of each loop), duplicate some so that all tracks have the same length, and from then on it's rather easy. Select all, duplicate, select all, duplicate, etc. I get 7 minutes project length with all tracks filled with loops quite fast using the edit menu. So it's not really a problem as I first thought.

When MIDI will be introduced, it may be possible to create a transport controller for Auria on a second iDevice or hardware controller. With big buttons for transport and maybe even editing. While Auria keeps the same minimal transport/tool interface.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:16 am

of course i did not forget the audiobus toolbar but:

1.there are actually two free sides (bottom and right) on which you could place toolbars like this without affecting the workflow or visibility of the edit screen too much.

2.probably you don't use both audiobus and a toolbar together all the time.Especially after all the recording is done (so you can shut down audiobus) people like me starting to use all the edit functions much more often when arranging stuff etc.

3.Still,it is what it is:an option to customize and (probably) improve your workflow.Don't need it?Don't press the toolbar button :wink:

I think it could be very handy.Press that button,make your edits and hide the bar again with one push.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:24 pm

I fully agree with you, there's room at the bottom (maybe the best place for the Audiobus app bar) and on the other side (left or right). I don't know why I'm a bit reluctant for this matter. I guess it's because I'm not sure if this will affect performance or usability. Actually there's no reason for any disadvantage.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:57 pm

All great ideas, guys. I will look into how difficult this will be.

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:07 pm

@phil:

That's a really good point,even on an ipad 4 the edit screen is not responding like butter in bigger projects (yes,i'm picky on that one sorry).It definitely shouldn't affect the draw rate.Anyway,i believe that,after they sorted out all the bugs,they gonna improve the speed of the edit window as well.There MUST be ressources left -at least on an ipad 4- with such a powerfull graphics processor.I made some tests with a shitload of plugins on the Pad 4 and it had no (positive nor negative)effect on the speed of the edit screen or the speed of the handling at all.It seems the GUI is only calculated by the graphics engine.But i'm not an expert so i should stop here...

supplement:Rim was faster again.Could you please behave like any other support and response slower to our posts? :mrgreen:

What else could i say?Thanks again for taking cover :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:11 pm

;) The size of the project has no effect on the edit drawing speed, it's really just the number of tracks being displayed. The iPad GPU simply isn't fast enough to handle smooth waveform drawing. We're working on improving it, but it's really a hard problem.

RIm

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:28 pm

That's crazy if i think about all the heavy 3D games in ultra high resolution or any other (so called) DAW on the iPad.I know,your waveforms seems to be much more accurate than in other apps but besides this...theres really not much going on in the edit window.And i mean not the drawing(or waveform zooming via slider) has to be supersmooth:it's the movement in the edit screen:scrolling/zooming up/down/left/right...maybe less waveform zooming steps would help?

i remember that somebody gave the tip to even switch of the drawing while you are zooming/scrolling to make it faster...

I'm really sorry,i know i'm going on to your nerves with that one.I'm definitely fine with your answer that you'll look into that one in the future and just have to be (more) patient.Thanks for you attention.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:44 pm

That's right, games are designed to take advantage of what a GPU does best, but waveforms are about the worst thing you can ask a GPU to do: draw lots of tiny, precise lines. They're just not designed to do that. There's already some pretty sophisticated buffering going on, believe me.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:28 am

Rim wrote:;) The size of the project has no effect on the edit drawing speed, it's really just the number of tracks being displayed. The iPad GPU simply isn't fast enough to handle smooth waveform drawing. We're working on improving it, but it's really a hard problem.

RIm
How do the other DAWs do it, like MeteoR? Maybe their waveforms are of lower quality, but i don't think i would ever notice that.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:34 am

CEIsar wrote:
i remember that somebody gave the tip to even switch of the drawing while you are zooming/scrolling to make it faster...
Yeah, but even when it's switched of, it's not really smooth. Why's that?
I'm really sorry,i know i'm going on to your nerves with that one.I'm definitely fine with your answer that you'll look into that one in the future and just have to be (more) patient.Thanks for you attention.
Haha, i'm the same. I don't really know why it's so important to me, but it's just such a pleasure when everything's really smooth. Like swimming in a pool :D It just doesn't feel like work then, i guess.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:44 am

@Rim:oh,for sure.i believe you :wink:
as i said,i don't know anything about graphics.

Last word:i was really holding back the trigger finger about more of the fantastic IAP's in auria cause i was thinking what will the competitors do?But i definitely made my decision now.Auria is just great and no other company offers this kind of amazing (well,i start to feel like a slimeball :mrgreen: ) support so i gotta go to the store now and purchase a lot more stuff .Peace :)

@geronimo:

i know exactly why i pay a lot of attention about this point.Most of this you mentioned in your last post and to complete it: i'm used to work at the computer VERY fast with mouse/keyboard and auria force me to work slower..But maybe i'm getting used to it in the future.It seems a lot of other people just don't care about this"problem"so i really should shut up for now :)