"improved waveform draw rate"

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Geronimo
Expert

"improved waveform draw rate"

Post by Geronimo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:11 am

I'm on an iPad 3 and liked the idea of disabling waveform drawing, to allow a faster general response. But practically it makes no significant difference, imo. Let's say it makes it seemingly 10% faster, which is nice enough, but there's still alot of room for improvement.

What i don't really understand is, you say the drawing as such is very cpu hungry, but when i then look at the cpu meter, there's always enough room left.

See, i don't really want to complain, because after the various updates Auria works better than ever before, and even got me back to using it again. But i still somehow don't get why nearly all the other iPad DAWs got the drawing right (just saw that Cubase for iOS got the same problems).

Maybe i'll just get an iPad 5 someday and won't talk about it ever again, or maybe not and will use this one for several years :D I don't know that yet, but i sure would love to have the fast and intuitive Auria at my fingertips.

And i honestly understand that this isn't too high on your priority list, i really do. I guess i was just a bit disappointed by the added feature, which is a great idea though.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: "improved waveform draw rate"

Post by Rim » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:33 am

When I talk about CPU, I'm really talking about GPU (the graphics processor). These readings don't show up on the CPU meter. Waveform drawing is a very graphics intense operation, taking more graphics power than most games. I won't go into the details, but keep in mind that Auria is drawing up to 24 tracks at once, whereas other iPad daws draw a lot less. There are other important differences. Believe me, the graphics speed in Auria is being worked on.

Rim

thebioguy
Expert

Post by thebioguy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:45 am

Rim wrote:When I talk about CPU, I'm really talking about GPU (the graphics processor). These readings don't show up on the CPU meter. Waveform drawing is a very graphics intense operation, taking more graphics power than most games. I won't go into the details, but keep in mind that Auria is drawing up to 24 tracks at once, whereas other iPad daws draw a lot less. There are other important differences. Believe me, the graphics speed in Auria is being worked on.

Rim

For me, this is the single greatest improvement in the update because it affects almost every moment of every project. Being able to turn of the wave forms has seriously reduced my frustration and increased my workflow.

Thanks!

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 am

Rim wrote:When I talk about CPU, I'm really talking about GPU (the graphics processor). These readings don't show up on the CPU meter. Waveform drawing is a very graphics intense operation, taking more graphics power than most games. I won't go into the details, but keep in mind that Auria is drawing up to 24 tracks at once, whereas other iPad daws draw a lot less. There are other important differences. Believe me, the graphics speed in Auria is being worked on.

Rim
Like i said, i love Auria and i'm really impressed by the continuous updates. Thx a lot for the great work!

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:57 pm

i was a little disappointed as well.The waveform is gone...but the automation lane as well.that was not my intention :)
although i would love to have a seperate"view/hide automation"option.
And It seemed that the use of the waveform view now even more cpu hungry is on an iPad 2.It was still not a pleasure to work on a more or less small project with just 15 trax and 52% cpu.It's not just the pinch zoom and scrolling,everything takes more time (pressing the start/stop button i.e.) .But i don't care anymore,i bought an ipad 4 yesterday.It's a pleasure to work with auria now although it's often still not"supersmooth"like i have it in other apps.Could still have a little improvement.Anyway,i enjoy auria much more then before now,definitely nice to work with.The same project takes 20%cpu now.More then two and a half times more power then before.Audiobus,here i come :mrgreen:
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX