Dropbox functionality

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

EkoCentrik

Dropbox functionality

Post by EkoCentrik » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:31 am

I'm not yet a Dropbox user but I'm looking into it and am wondering if it's possible to preview files stored on Dropbox from within Auria? Or would I actually have to load the file to be able to hear it?

thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Dropbox functionality

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:37 am

It's not possible to preview files on dropbox, because most files, like WAV and AIF are not streaming type files, so the only way to preview them would be to download the entire file.

Rim

EkoCentrik

Post by EkoCentrik » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:44 am

ok, thanks for the reply. Do you know if I could use the dropbox mobile app to preview wav files and then open them in Auria?

I currently use AudioShare to store my sample folders and it has a preview function so it's easy to select the samples I want to work with. But I can't then open them in Auria.

I'm just trying to find a relatively quick and easy workflow for selecting samples from my collection and getting them into Auria.

Thanks for any help!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:54 am

Wav files usually can't be previewed by any application unless the file is stored in your local hard drive. The reason for this is because a wav file needs to be completely downloaded before it can be previewed.

Rim

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:51 am

I'll pass along what I have been doing - I keep all my sfx and music files on Dropbox. They are a mix of both .mp3 and .wav formats. The native DB app will preview .wav files without the need to download first. When I find something that fits the project, I'll add the file to the Favorites list which downloads it locally. At that point the 'open in' functionality works; I move to Hokusai, then audio copy/paste into Auria. Seems like a lot of steps but for a totally mobile option it isn't so bad. Others may have better thoughts but this is working for my purposes.

Regards,
Phil.

EkoCentrik

Post by EkoCentrik » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks for the info Phil. That will work fine for me I think :D

EkoCentrik

Post by EkoCentrik » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:59 pm

Well the Dropbox app is already driving me nuts! It keeps giving error messages when I try to preview files and just feels clunky and slow compared to audioshare. I also can't use the 'open in' feature with Auria :-(

Don't think I'll be integrating it into my workflow. Rim please please implement 'open in' for Audioshare in an upcoming update!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Yes, I am definitely looking into it already.

Thanks,
Rim