Recording with Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 and ipad

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

matthewaugle

Recording with Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 and ipad

Post by matthewaugle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Hello,

So recently my band purchased the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 and we have connected to an IPAD and we recorded. Our issues is two fold,

1) we are using all 8 channels on auria for a live recording, when we go to listen back to the recording to do overdubs we are getting super low sound, not enough to do overdubs. Anyway to raise that volume on playback? We thought we could just re-wind the song and start doing over dubs but it is so low we couldnt hear it at all?

2) We are having issues with output settings I think. Anyone have a good tutorial or a walk thru that can help us.

We are sorta nubs to interface recording, we have always used Tascam 32sd to record. We figured we give this a try.

Thank you in advance for all your help. This forum is great, along with this product.

Corey W
Expert

Re: Recording with Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 and ipad

Post by Corey W » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:10 am

Hi,
So before you start recording, you want to make sure that you put your tracks in Auria into 'record arm' mode (by pressing the record button on each individual channel strip), this way you can see the signal coming into Auria from your interface. At this point you can adjust the gain on the Behringer interface so that each instrument is coming into Auria at around -15 to -10. It is important in the digital realm to leave yourself with plenty of headroom.
Post recording, if you need to adjust the gain on the tracks, change Auria's view to 'Edit' (so you see the waveforms), tap to highlight an audio region and go to the top of the screen> Process> Gain (or you can use Normalize, but read about normalizing audio (Google it) before you do this, please).
Ideally, you would get good signal into Auria so you could just mix with the faders and not have to adjust the gain settings or normalize the audio.

What kind of output issues are you experiencing exactly?

FranksRiffs
Expert

Re: Recording with Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 and ipad

Post by FranksRiffs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi, I have noticed an issue with my Behringer 404 and 204, even when the gain is set to just under red light warning on the device the signal into the iPad is far too low, maybe -10. This is intermittent and I know of no one that can confirm this for me. This means that there is no way to get good level to the track. I sometimes use AUM and their preamp gain to boost the input to tracks.