ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Trash
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Trash » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:15 am

Anthony Alves wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:02 pm
So if you dont want to see the last take always hit undo record or tap cut. If you dont want to go looking for the best take in your filing system for the project, keep all the takes up to audition them. And yes you will have to cut the top take to see and hear the take thats under it.

As for recording a stereo FX on a mono track. You dont actually record an effect but rather it is applied to the original signal either in series ie the plugin list or in parrallel ie. the busses or Aux. It only becomes part of the track after a mixdown.

Hi -

Many thanks for the extensive response.

I dont actually want to keep previous takes as they just take up space. As I think I said in my original post - my old HDD recorder used to have a 'Clean up" option which would remove all historic takes and just leave the top layer (i.e. most recent versions) available. This could be done on a per track or per song basis. The suggestion you make (hitting Undo) actually removes the last take which is exactly what I don't want to do since it is usually the last take which is the one I want to keep (otherwise I wouldn't have redone it - if you see what I mean).

As for the Stereo FX question actually I do record my effects since I mostly don't want or need to edit them later. The effects are part of the sound for me so I 'Print' them as I record (mostly). So my question kind of still stands - If I do this am I generating a stereo signal even though I am supposed to be recording to a Mono track. I tried an experiment and it seemed that I ended up with two waveforms on the mono track which seemed a bit strange..

Thank you again

PeterDoubt

Re: Monitoring while using Audiobus

Post by PeterDoubt » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:15 am

PeterDoubt wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:13 pm
Hi -
For the life of me I can't find this information - I'm certain it's simple but I haven't used audiobus before, I have 2 tracks recorded in a project and I'm trying to do a scratch Bass guitar track (track 3) using Thumbjam - just something simple for now. I'm using Audiobus3 with TJ as the input. I can't hear the already recorded tracks to play along to. I've enabled audiobus monitoring in the general settings. Do I have to route tracks 1 and 2 somewhere? When I just try to play the song, the levels are active but there is no sound unless I disable Audiobus.

Thanks...
I got the answer from the Audiobus forum: Auria isn't compatible with Audiobus 3 yet. AB2 works fine.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:14 pm

That's actually not true. Auria is compatible with Audiobus 3. It just doesn't make use of the new Audiobus 3 SDK. This just means that you can't do MIDI routing within Audiobus through Auria (but you can easily route MIDI using the existing CoreMIDI support). Audio routing is still fully compatible.

Rim

PeterDoubt

Post by PeterDoubt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:57 am

Rim wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:14 pm
That's actually not true. Auria is compatible with Audiobus 3. It just doesn't make use of the new Audiobus 3 SDK. This just means that you can't do MIDI routing within Audiobus through Auria (but you can easily route MIDI using the existing CoreMIDI support). Audio routing is still fully compatible.

Rim
Well, when I used AB3 and played my already recorded tracks just to practice with ThumbJam, I could not hear anything. I'm talking about tracks 1and 2, vocal and guitar. This was whether Track 3 was armed or not. Audiobus was set to 'Audio', not midi. Using AB2, I was able to hear my prerecorded tracks. Was I missing something?

Duckmandu
Expert

Post by Duckmandu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:19 am

I'm having trouble getting stereo out of Auria… i've never had this problem before, but presently everything on the master output is in mono. I know the tracks are in stereo, and some the effects, both inserts and send, are in stereo!

One of the three tracks seems to be mono according to the metering, even though I can see from the waveforms that the track is also in stereo; I can tell the two channels are not identical.

The other two tracks are metering in stereo.

I'm guessing something in my signal flow is messed up but I cannot for the life of me figure out what.

Thanks for your help.

- Aaron

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Check that the MONO button isn't accidentally pressed on the master channelstrip.

Rim

jussishow

Post by jussishow » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:35 am

Hi !
Trying to figure out the finer details of the PSP Channel Strip.
I know what the expander does ... sort of ...
But what exactly am I listening to when pressing the MON(itor) button ?
Is it the signal "driving" the expander, or ?